Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2015, 10:59 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,323,920 times

Advertisements

So I took a stroll up and down Walnut and Chestnut St during lunch from Rittenhouse to Broad and back up.

I noticed 6 vacant storefronts on Walnut(including Lululemon temporary store) and dozens along Chestnut St.

I get the whole fast fashion thing, but I again went into a few highend stores just to browse or ask how business is. This time was Stuart Weitzman, Calypso St Barth and Madewell. All 3 has several patrons and the salesperson said business is constant all day.

I still think other retailers will catch on, and hopefully CC will balance out the growing "fast fashion" scene with some more mid-upscale brands.

I would love to see Kate Spade, Tory Burch, Lilly Pulitzer and White House Black Market open up (womens) because they are mid/high end and those retailers are the stepping stones for the super lux retailers and department stores. I have no doubt that retailers of this caliber would be successful along Walnut/Chestnut, hopefully their eyes will open up, and they will expand into Philly rather than circling the city with locations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2015, 12:46 PM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,766,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
So I took a stroll up and down Walnut and Chestnut St during lunch from Rittenhouse to Broad and back up.

I noticed 6 vacant storefronts on Walnut(including Lululemon temporary store) and dozens along Chestnut St.

I get the whole fast fashion thing, but I again went into a few highend stores just to browse or ask how business is. This time was Stuart Weitzman, Calypso St Barth and Madewell. All 3 has several patrons and the salesperson said business is constant all day.

I still think other retailers will catch on, and hopefully CC will balance out the growing "fast fashion" scene with some more mid-upscale brands.

I would love to see Kate Spade, Tory Burch, Lilly Pulitzer and White House Black Market open up (womens) because they are mid/high end and those retailers are the stepping stones for the super lux retailers and department stores. I have no doubt that retailers of this caliber would be successful along Walnut/Chestnut, hopefully their eyes will open up, and they will expand into Philly rather than circling the city with locations.
Even Kate Spade in Ardmore did not survive. It was closed after a year?

Old 07-31-2015, 01:02 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,753,016 times
Quote:

Dozens on Chestnut between 19th/20th and Broad? Really? I haven't walked west of 18th on Chestnut in a while, though.

I don't know how well word-of-mouth wrt CC retail works but would that have any impact? It does seem to be a bit of a Catch-22 situation.

Old 07-31-2015, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
Even Kate Spade in Ardmore did not survive. It was closed after a year?

I believe Kate spade is still there. KoP and Ardmore are the current area locations. White House has several locations, so I still don't understand the hesitation, Tory Burch and Lilly Pulitzer are more selective with locations, but still..

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Dozens on Chestnut between 19th/20th and Broad? Really? I haven't walked west of 18th on Chestnut in a while, though.

I don't know how well word-of-mouth wrt CC retail works but would that have any impact? It does seem to be a bit of a Catch-22 situation.

Chestnut has more vacancies than Walnut, and I included the crappy Food Court building, "dollar Marts" and beauty products stores in that bunch that could potentially turn over for a legitimate retailer. And if the right person knows the right people then possibly.

Old 08-02-2015, 08:56 AM

Quote:
I believe Kate spade is still there. KoP and Ardmore are the current area locations. White House has several locations, so I still don't understand the hesitation, Tory Burch and Lilly Pulitzer are more selective with locations, but still..
Hmmm Maybe I should check. I was there 2 weeks ago and Kate Spade location was occupied by something else. Some no-name brand.
Website says that it is still there though.
Corner Bakery and the frogurt place behind it are also gone.

I believe there is no Kate Spade in KOP.
That's the only Kate Spade in PA - Ardmore location
(Unless you want to count the one in Premium OUtlet)

Quote:
Chestnut has more vacancies than Walnut, and I included the crappy Food Court building, "dollar Marts" and beauty products stores in that bunch that could potentially turn over for a legitimate retailer. And if the right person knows the right people then possibly.

Old 08-02-2015, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Hmmm Maybe I should check. I was there 2 weeks ago and Kate Spade location was occupied by something else. Some no-name brand.

This is in Suburban Sq? Well, in any case, it makes me sad to think about it. SS is nothing like it used to be pre- KoP. We talk about how KoP is competition for CC but it also "stole" Suburban Sq's place as a high end shopping center which it hardly is now.

Old 08-02-2015, 11:41 AM

Quote:
This is in Suburban Sq? Well, in any case, it makes me sad to think about it. SS is nothing like it used to be pre- KoP. We talk about how KoP is competition for CC but it also "stole" Suburban Sq's place as a high end shopping center which it hardly is now.
Yeah, I am talking about Suburban Square.
I was surprised that the Corner Bakery is gone. Granted that I went to that Corner Bakery once or twice, there were always people inside. Not 1 or 2 tables but at least 6 tables.
I am not sure about the frogurt place though. I had not got a chance to try.

And yes Kate Spade was in Suburban Sq. It is gone.
I really like Ardmore area (beyond the Suburban Square) so I hope it can attract new tenants.
Especially since Macys is closing next year.

Old 08-02-2015, 01:15 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,730,784 times
Quote:

There's a Kate Spade at Ross Park Mall in Pittsburgh.

Old 08-02-2015, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I am talking about Suburban Square.
I was surprised that the Corner Bakery is gone. Granted that I went to that Corner Bakery once or twice, there were always people inside. Not 1 or 2 tables but at least 6 tables.
I am not sure about the frogurt place though. I had not got a chance to try.

And yes Kate Spade was in Suburban Sq. It is gone.
I really like Ardmore area (beyond the Suburban Square) so I hope it can attract new tenants.
Especially since Macys is closing next year.
I get semi-blasted every time I say this,Lol, but the Ardmore historic shopping district is virtually dead during weekdays. Very little foot traffic. There are empty store fronts along Lancaster Ave which shouldn't be there for as long as they have been. It's a "walkable" suburb where very few people actually walk. If the movie theater had survived , on Lancaster Ave. , like it did in Bryn Mawr and Wayne, it might be different.

I used to love Suburban Sq. It always felt chic going there back when it had a hint of snobbish exclusivity. Or rather it was where you could get good quality merchandise. Hey, I had no money but I enjoyed looking at stuff and window shopping. It defined what the Main Line was about years ago. KoP has pretty much destroyed it, IMO.

Old 08-03-2015, 06:31 AM

Quote:

My bad, no Kate Spade in KoP, it actually closed last year. Same with Ardmore. Must be more of a brand thing if they are closed both locations or too much competition from other retailers.

Quote:
I get semi-blasted every time I say this,Lol, but the Ardmore historic shopping district is virtually dead during weekdays. Very little foot traffic. There are empty store fronts along Lancaster Ave which shouldn't be there for as long as they have been. It's a "walkable" suburb where very few people actually walk. If the movie theater had survived , on Lancaster Ave. , like it did in Bryn Mawr and Wayne, it might be different.

I used to love Suburban Sq. It always felt chic going there back when it had a hint of snobbish exclusivity. Or rather it was where you could get good quality merchandise. Hey, I had no money but I enjoyed looking at stuff and window shopping. It defined what the Main Line was about years ago. KoP has pretty much destroyed it, IMO.
Do you really think KoP was the main reason for this, or it is just a changing time? An example I can think of that had nothing to do with KoP was Granite Run Mall. Great mall in a great area that eventually fell flat, combo of poor management, lack of updating, competition (Glen Mills is closer than Ardmore to KoP) and the clientele is a sore spot to many Delco residents for why Granite Run went downhill, I don't know if the same can be said for SS, I haven't been there since high school almost 10 years ago.

Newtown Square has a Town Center in the works that will be filled with upscale retail, Glen Mills has turned into a shopping destination, Doyletown just announced a Banana Republic and other retailers coming soon, I think Ardmore may be struggling with a branding problem/not as much interest around Ardmore as there once was. (I know Doylestown is far) but the argument could be made about KoP for all of these locations, but they are still thriving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia