Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2015, 06:22 AM

9,448 posts, read 9,471,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by acenturi View Post
Old Navy Flagship Store Coming to Chestnut
Developer Pearl buys Center City building for future Old Navy store

ON Flagships are in : New York (Manhattan), Minneapolis (Mall of America), Seattle, Chicago and San Francisco.
That is a very cool building. As long as Old Navy does a better job with this location than the one in the Gallery, it should be a nice addition.

My worry is that there may be too many low end stores clogging up one area. You have a new 5 Below, Old Navy, H&M, and Nordstrom Rack all close together now. Normally this is not a bad setup (Old Navy is perfectly fine), but in history, the people who tend to hangout near these types of stores are not Phillys finest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2015, 06:48 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,827,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
That is a very cool building. As long as Old Navy does a better job with this location than the one in the Gallery, it should be a nice addition.

My worry is that there may be too many low end stores clogging up one area. You have a new 5 Below, Old Navy, H&M, and Nordstrom Rack all close together now. Normally this is not a bad setup (Old Navy is perfectly fine), but in history, the people who tend to hangout near these types of stores are not Phillys finest.
Sounds like you are dissing most everyone who went to the Gallery. Not everyone who went there was part of any bad element. Come on ..... you know this. I hope you don't mean what you are inferring.

I happen to like the fact that Old Navy and Five Below are going to street locations very much.

Old 08-28-2015, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Sounds like you are dissing most everyone who went to the Gallery. Not everyone who went there was part of any bad element. Come on ..... you know this. I hope you don't mean what you are inferring.

I happen to like the fact that Old Navy and Five Below are going to street locations very much.
If you meant was I making it a racial thing? no I was not. I like the idea too, I am just a skeptic.

Old 08-28-2015, 08:00 AM

7,529 posts, read 10,316,025 times
Quote:
And yet the great unwashed too need a place to shop.

Old 08-28-2015, 08:41 AM

7,319 posts, read 10,692,956 times
Quote:

I think we need to tone down the constant need for everything to be high-end. Not to mention, these are certainly not "low end" stores--they appeal to a solid middle-class segment. You would find any of these stores in an affluent suburb.

Yes, it's a great sign and a huge plus for the city when it can attract upscale retail. But at the end of the day, there is absolutely still a place, and frankly, a necessity, for stores like Old Navy, Nordstrom Rack, and Five Below to set up shop. It makes for a diversified retail portfolio, and you can guarantee these stores appeal to a wide range of folks--including the upper-middle-class market who still appreciates mid-scale values.

The Five Below in particular looks great for families/children, which is a shopping demographic that Philly would be smart to cater to more.

Old 08-28-2015, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
I think we need to tone down the constant need for everything to be high-end. Not to mention, these are certainly not "low end" stores--they appeal to a solid middle-class segment. You would find any of these stores in an affluent suburb.

Yes, it's a great sign and a huge plus for the city when it can attract upscale retail. But at the end of the day, there is absolutely still a place, and frankly, a necessity, for stores like Old Navy, Nordstrom Rack, and Five Below to set up shop. It makes for a diversified retail portfolio, and you can guarantee these stores appeal to a wide range of folks--including the upper-middle-class market who still appreciates mid-scale values.

The Five Below in particular looks great for families/children, which is a shopping demographic that Philly would be smart to cater to more.
This is why I hesitate to post my opinions. I will pull a Steeps "NORMALLY THIS IS NOT A BAD SETUP" - from my first post. You see the same exact setup in KoP and Glen Mills mixed with high end retail and they all exist perfectly fine.

Philadelphia is a different animal, discount stores for decades have attracted (not poor people, nothing wrong with that at all) but low life people, the Wendys that used to be at the corner of 15th and Chestnut, and the Mandee where 5 Below is going were perfect examples of that.

People seem to be overthinking my first post, it was just an opinion from my observations as a city resident.

Old 08-28-2015, 10:25 AM

4,550 posts, read 4,094,045 times
It's probably going to take the w / element to finish before that segment cleans up from fast food restaurants and dollar stores.

Old 08-28-2015, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post

The other point is it's based in Philadelphia, afaik, so I feel obligated to support it.

Old 08-28-2015, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
It's probably going to take the w / element to finish before that segment cleans up from fast food restaurants and dollar stores.
That dollar store on the south side of the 1500 block of Chestnut is the worst of that particular chain that I've seen.

The 1400 block is very bad too so, yes, I hope the W/Element fixes that as well. The Prince Theater looks abandoned although it actually isn't .

Old 08-28-2015, 01:30 PM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,781,820 times
I am pretty sure Old Navy can retain the exterior of the building.
I agree with with cpomp, the exterior of that building is beautiful. It is kind of the shade of blue, which can match with the darker shade of Old Navy's blue logo. I am pretty sure they will do a good job incorporating the facade with the brand's theme. Just look at what UNIQLO does.

With Old Navy entering Chestnut street, that strip will become an interesting mix of low and middle class shops now. It will create almost a continuous flow of stores from where MODELL is.
Usually when I walk toward my home, it will be MODELL - H&M - cross the street - some bank in the corner, which presence is negligible - Indochino (Kiehlls, EXpress, JCrew on the right) - UNIQLO - 4Season Food Court - SPRINT / Radio Shack - and then oblivion (this includes Club Philadelphia) - Rite Aid and then Nordstrom rack. So Old Navy will fix that flow of oblivion-ness.(LOL).

I would not worry that it would attract the wrong crowds as I think the reason why those crowds are there in the Gallery because it is closer to the El and during winter, it is heated. (who wants to be hanging out on the street when it is 30 degrees outside? I would not).
The gallery gave them a place where everybody could just hop into the train and chill in the mall without going outside.

Also remember Bloomingdales Outlet will be there.

A tidbit of interesting observation: I notice that the certain demographic that goes to F21 to shop do not go to Nordstrom Rack (and even UNIQLO which has the same price point!).

Finally, I also like the logo Indochino has in front of its store. Previously it just looked like some cheap "banner" slapped on the wall. Now they make an effort to make it like a legit storefront with an OK display.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia