Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2015, 06:22 AM

7,529 posts, read 10,316,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
No offense but Under Armor and Old Navy is nothing to get too excited about. I just want a nike store (doesn't have to be a flagship) and more high end that is not a outlet (just to start, still hoping that Bloomingdales opens a department store in center city)
More impressive is the apparent 12 story apartment building that will be on top of Under Armour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2015, 07:19 AM

9,448 posts, read 9,471,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
More impressive is the apparent 12 story apartment building that will be on top of Under Armour.
Yes, that is awesome. What a transformation to go from a one story blob, to a slender mid-rise. And Under Armour is a nice addition to Walnut.

Old 09-01-2015, 08:49 AM

7,319 posts, read 10,692,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
I think it's more that the retail business is adjusting to changing shopping habits. More companies are building more "flagship" type locations, which function a bit more like product showrooms, since people are doing do a lot more of their actual purchasing online nowadays.
Although I'd agree that is true, it is still a very positive/impressive trend that Philly is attracting these flagship stores to "high streets" like Walnut and Chestnut in the urban core, which is the not the case in the vast majority of American cities/metros (i.e., there is a lack of a critical mass of employment/residents outside of a handful of cities). In most other metro areas, flagships would only be considered for a KOP-type shopping mall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
No offense but Under Armor and Old Navy is nothing to get too excited about. I just want a nike store (doesn't have to be a flagship) and more high end that is not a outlet (just to start, still hoping that Bloomingdales opens a department store in center city)
To be clear, Under Armour definitely sells a high-end performance product. It is a solid retailer to have downtown.

At any rate, although I understand that everyone is looking to hear about the "holy grail" of a store like Bloomingdale's to confirm a Center City location, keep in mind that every store that opens in Philly adds a bit more vibrancy and commerce to the city. That's a great trend that everyone should be excited about.

Old 09-01-2015, 10:45 AM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,781,820 times
What I am excited about that rendering from Pearl is how they will add windows on the street level for Under Armour.
It makes the building more inviting.

Old 09-01-2015, 01:23 PM

3,266 posts, read 5,676,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Although I'd agree that is true, it is still a very positive/impressive trend that Philly is attracting these flagship stores to "high streets" like Walnut and Chestnut in the urban core, which is the not the case in the vast majority of American cities/metros (i.e., there is a lack of a critical mass of employment/residents outside of a handful of cities). In most other metro areas, flagships would only be considered for a KOP-type shopping mall.
But 'most metro areas' do not include the largest cities in the country. In the largest cities in the country, of which Philly is one (and I'm glad people are taking notice!), flagships are common. And flagships are actually more typically located in big cities, not shopping malls (outside of "destination malls").
I'm not saying it's not a positive thing. It is. I just don't think it's especially Philly-specific. It's a nationwide trend.

Old 09-01-2015, 02:11 PM

7,529 posts, read 10,316,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
But 'most metro areas' do not include the largest cities in the country. In the largest cities in the country, of which Philly is one (and I'm glad people are taking notice!), flagships are common. And flagships are actually more typically located in big cities, not shopping malls (outside of "destination malls").
I'm not saying it's not a positive thing. It is. I just don't think it's especially Philly-specific. It's a nationwide trend.
I wouldn't agree that that statement is true for all the bigger cities. For example, most of Houston's flagship stores are not located in the CBD but rather a short drive from the most affluent neighborhood on the city's westside. While I cant be certain, I would imagine this might also be true for Phoenix, Dallas and other sunbelt cities.

Old 09-01-2015, 03:09 PM

7,319 posts, read 10,692,956 times
Quote:
I wouldn't agree that that statement is true for all the bigger cities. For example, most of Houston's flagship stores are not located in the CBD but rather a short drive from the most affluent neighborhood on the city's westside. While I cant be certain, I would imagine this might also be true for Phoenix, Dallas and other sunbelt cities.
Exactly. Houston, Dallas, Phoenix, Atlanta, Detroit, and Los Angeles--these are all large cities/metros where you're much more likely to find major retail stores in a suburban-type "trophy mall" than you are in a downtown "high street" setting like in Center City. When you narrow down the large metros that have a plethora of downtown flagship stores, you're only left with a handful of cities--New York, Chicago, San Francisco, Boston--and to a lesser extent, DC and Seattle. That's all I was getting at.

Of course, that's still not to suggest that King of Prussia isn't the crux of "destination retail" in the Philly area, but Center City is making great strides in re-emerging as a prime retail destination for the metro area--more than it has in decades.

Old 09-01-2015, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Well, I didn't say all, I said typically. It's just the way that retail is heading.
Go to a given store's website and look for the flagship store locations. They are usually, as I said, in big cities not suburban malls. Granted, different cities are organized differently, but that goes without saying.
Old Navy, for example, since it was discussed in this thread has its flagship stores in NYC, Chicago, San Francisco, Seattle, and the Mall of America (ie an aforementioned "destination mall").

Old 09-01-2015, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Exactly. Houston, Dallas, Phoenix, Atlanta, Detroit, and Los Angeles--these are all large cities/metros where you're much more likely to find major retail stores in a suburban-type "trophy mall" than you are in a downtown "high street" setting like in Center City. When you narrow down the large metros that have a plethora of downtown flagship stores, you're only left with a handful of cities--New York, Chicago, San Francisco, Boston--and to a lesser extent, DC and Seattle. That's all I was getting at.
OK gotcha. But that's just the American city, for better or for worse. What I was saying is that the heavy lifting of selling merchandise to the people is a role that's increasingly in online sales, and not as much in retail locations. This is one reason why many department stores, big box stores and everyday shopping malls are struggling lately.

Old 09-02-2015, 03:31 AM

14,398 posts, read 9,315,512 times
Quote:

Of course, that's still not to suggest that King of Prussia isn't the crux of "destination retail" in the Philly area, but Center City is making great strides in re-emerging as a prime retail destination for the metro area--more than it has in decades.
Actiually, in LA, the real high-end shopping is on a "high street" too - it's just not one in downtown LA.

It's Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia