Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-03-2015, 10:34 PM
 
Location: Germantown, Philadelphia
14,397 posts, read 9,315,512 times
Reputation: 10712

Advertisements

If they do open on Chestnut Street, this would mark the return of Design Beyond Reach to Philadelphia. DWR had a store in the 1700 block of Walnut for about three years in the mid-2000s.

I remember Design Research; the store occupied this huge glass-and-concrete structure on Brattle Street just off Harvard Square. That store had more than just furniture (which is all that DWR sells), and I don't recall its prices being quite as stratospheric as those at DWR.

If you really want "design within reach," try IKEA. No Big Name Designers, but they have mastered the practice of taking contemporary design (and not just Scandinavian: its best-selling bentwood armchair is based on Japanese design) and selling it to the masses at prices they can afford.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-03-2015, 11:47 PM
 
Location: back in Philadelphia!
3,266 posts, read 5,676,291 times
Reputation: 2147
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
Design Within Reach is similar to CB2. They also carry some of big name designers merchandises as well, unlike CB2, such as Kartell, Phillipe Starck and my favorite Karim Rashid. So alot of their furnitures are pop and edgy. I am so excited!

On another news, I passed by the farmers market on the square this morning as I was walking to get my fix for Honey Grow. (I woke up and the first thing came up in my mind was "I want HG's noodle, with sesame seeds and crusted candied cashews topped with cherry BBQ sauce).
Anyway, Evergreen was there. And their store is opening on Oct 10th. They will have an opening party. Everybody is invited they said. So if you happen to be in the neighborhood, come and pass by.
DWR is much higher quality than CB2. (And, accordingly, much more expensive) And all of their stuff is officially licensed designer merch, even when they're actually producing it.
CB2 is basically crate and barrel targeted at younger people with less money. Comparable to West Elm.

That said..I kind of hate DWR haha. I really hate what they did with the Herman Miller stuff. Plastic shell chairs...ech! I'd much rather buy from Modernica or Vitra.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2015, 05:11 AM
 
Location: Germantown, Philadelphia
14,397 posts, read 9,315,512 times
Reputation: 10712
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
CB2 is basically crate and barrel targeted at younger people with less money. Comparable to West Elm.
And West Elm is Williams-Sonoma's offering for those who can now afford a level of quality higher than IKEA thanks to that promotion.

I see that there's a chain of design at work here. You learn by shopping IKEA after you graduate college, proceed to graduate school at CB2 or West Elm, then get that PhD - or more likely MBA if you're shooting for this price point - and move on up to DWR.

I'm a journalist. I'm typing this in a room full of IKEA (including a Poang armchair, of course). I have to save up for West Elm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2015, 07:14 AM
 
Location: back in Philadelphia!
3,266 posts, read 5,676,291 times
Reputation: 2147
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
And West Elm is Williams-Sonoma's offering for those who can now afford a level of quality higher than IKEA thanks to that promotion.

I see that there's a chain of design at work here. You learn by shopping IKEA after you graduate college, proceed to graduate school at CB2 or West Elm, then get that PhD - or more likely MBA if you're shooting for this price point - and move on up to DWR.

I'm a journalist. I'm typing this in a room full of IKEA (including a Poang armchair, of course). I have to save up for West Elm.
I dunno, that sounds more like the 'corporate chain' of design.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2015, 07:47 AM
 
10,787 posts, read 8,827,312 times
Reputation: 3984
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
Design Within Reach is similar to CB2. They also carry some of big name designers merchandises as well, unlike CB2, such as Kartell, Phillipe Starck and my favorite Karim Rashid. So alot of their furnitures are pop and edgy. I am so excited!

On another news, I passed by the farmers market on the square this morning as I was walking to get my fix for Honey Grow. (I woke up and the first thing came up in my mind was "I want HG's noodle, with sesame seeds and crusted candied cashews topped with cherry BBQ sauce).
Anyway, Evergreen was there. And their store is opening on Oct 10th. They will have an opening party. Everybody is invited they said. So if you happen to be in the neighborhood, come and pass by.
Where exactly? Not all of us go to Rittenhouse daily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2015, 10:26 AM
 
Location: New York City
9,448 posts, read 9,471,166 times
Reputation: 6687
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Design Within Reach and Restoration Hardware are two different stores.

Design Within Reach and Crate & Barrel are both modeled after an older company called Design Research.

https://www.restorationhardware.com/...o/about-us.jsp

About Design Within Reach - Design Within Reach
Either of those would add a lot of cachet to Chestnut St. I was at the Restoration Hardware in KoP to buy pillows and most stuff in there was expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2015, 10:19 PM
 
Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,781,820 times
Reputation: 2610
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Where exactly? Not all of us go to Rittenhouse daily.
Evergreen?
It is on Chestnut and something LOL. It is right beside Joan Shepp.
In fact tonight I took a picture of it.
They took off the plywood. It will be fancy!
I was kind of hoping that they will have a patio facing Boyds parking lot.
That parking lot; while it is a good thing for Boyds partons and what not, is a sore to the eyes.

Last edited by asiandudeyo; 10-04-2015 at 10:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2015, 10:33 PM
 
Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,781,820 times
Reputation: 2610
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
DWR is much higher quality than CB2. (And, accordingly, much more expensive) And all of their stuff is officially licensed designer merch, even when they're actually producing it.
CB2 is basically crate and barrel targeted at younger people with less money. Comparable to West Elm.

That said..I kind of hate DWR haha. I really hate what they did with the Herman Miller stuff. Plastic shell chairs...ech! I'd much rather buy from Modernica or Vitra.
I agree that CB2 is cheaper.
But quality: meh. DWR's merchandise is as bad as CB2. (Rule of thumbs: Nowadays designer whatever sometimes does not equal good quality).
I do have two Kartell Ero S armchairs and the base chrome started chipping when I moved to Philly. (Yes plastic furniture was IN in 2007 he he).
Also DWR carry modern and contemporary stuff just like CB2.

I learned my lesson.
And going back to the Kartell Ero S chairs. Well I got them in the same time I got a chromed table from IKEA. Surprise surprise, the IKEA table last.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2015, 11:23 PM
 
Location: back in Philadelphia!
3,266 posts, read 5,676,291 times
Reputation: 2147
The offending plastic chairs at DWR are the Herman Miller Eames shell chairs that they sell as "licensed authentic". But..the actual authentic chairs were textured fiberglass, not cheap-looking plastic. Modernica actually owns the original Eames factory tooling in LA, and you can buy the real deal chairs from them, for (surprise) less money. DWR is unabashedly for suckers.
But the stores are attractive I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2015, 08:24 AM
 
Location: New York City
9,448 posts, read 9,471,166 times
Reputation: 6687
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
Evergreen?
It is on Chestnut and something LOL. It is right beside Joan Shepp.
In fact tonight I took a picture of it.
They took off the plywood. It will be fancy!
I was kind of hoping that they will have a patio facing Boyds parking lot.
That parking lot; while it is a good thing for Boyds partons and what not, is a sore to the eyes.
Its called "Sweet Green" its a healthy salad place. Similar to Honey Grow or Fuel on Walnut St. Penn has one too.

The remodel looks sleek, I just wish the building was 4+ stories, instead it has the height of a backyard shed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top