Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-16-2015, 09:12 AM
 
Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,781,820 times
Reputation: 2610

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Ruth's Chris was there for about 20 years so that at least worked.
Oh OK.
So this is indeed where Ruth's Chris Steak used to be.
I hope they find tenant soon.
A nice restaurant where all the people who watch the shows will be nice.

And yeah the new Ruth's Chris Steak in Sonesta is supposed to open this month I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-16-2015, 06:44 PM
 
10,787 posts, read 8,827,312 times
Reputation: 3984
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
Oh OK.
So this is indeed where Ruth's Chris Steak used to be.
I hope they find tenant soon.
A nice restaurant where all the people who watch the shows will be nice.

And yeah the new Ruth's Chris Steak in Sonesta is supposed to open this month I think.
Weirdly the actual ground floor, SW corner, never worked very long as a restaurant. There've been two in there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2015, 07:10 AM
 
Location: Center City
7,529 posts, read 10,316,025 times
Reputation: 11038
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Weirdly the actual ground floor, SW corner, never worked very long as a restaurant. There've been two in there.
Well, the building is being rehabbed for apartments. Add the number of residents there to the residents and guests at the new 47 story SLS hotel/condo building going up catty corner and you'll have a very busy corner. This would appear to be a pretty attractive location for a prospective retailer.

They've been working on the Atlantic building for some time. Wonder when it will be wrapped up?

Last edited by Pine to Vine; 12-17-2015 at 07:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2015, 08:13 AM
 
Location: Germantown, Philadelphia
14,395 posts, read 9,315,512 times
Reputation: 10712
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
Oh OK.
So this is indeed where Ruth's Chris Steak used to be.
I hope they find tenant soon.
A nice restaurant where all the people who watch the shows will be nice.

And yeah the new Ruth's Chris Steak in Sonesta is supposed to open this month I think.
No, the space in question is NOT the former Ruth's Chris location. That's the Atlantic Building, at 260 South Broad - which is also being converted to residential above, commercial on lower two floors.

The building is shown in the photograph accompanying the Business Journal story. The space is in what had been called the Avenue of the Arts Building and is being renamed the Griffin by the developer of the residential portion.

The street-floor portion of the space housed the Olive Garden until this past summer. Floors 2 and 3 are being marketed along with that space.

The interesting thing about this is, the commercial space is owned by someone other than the developer of the rest of the building. By contrast, Post Brothers is redoing all of The Atlantic Building.

Seems we have a crop of former restaurants on the market along the Avenue of the Arts.

Kevin Sbraga, Carl Dranoff's favorite restaurateur, couldn't make a go of Juniper Commons (corner space in Dranoff's Southstar Lofts at Broad and South) and MSC Retail is currently marketing it.

Tashan, the modern Indian eatery in Dranoff's 777 South Broad, also closed this summer after a decent run.

I would love to know what ideas the Pestronks have in mind for the two street-floor spaces at 260 S. Broad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2015, 08:52 AM
 
10,787 posts, read 8,827,312 times
Reputation: 3984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Well, the building is being rehabbed for apartments. Add the number of residents there to the residents and guests at the new 47 story SLS hotel/condo building going up catty corner and you'll have a very busy corner. This would appear to be a pretty attractive location for a prospective retailer.

They've been working on the Atlantic building for some time. Wonder when it will be wrapped up?
Do any of you relative newbies to Philly know where the "Atlantic" name comes from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2015, 10:04 AM
 
Location: Germantown, Philadelphia
14,395 posts, read 9,315,512 times
Reputation: 10712
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Do any of you relative newbies to Philly know where the "Atlantic" name comes from?
I'll wait until some relative newbie attempts an answer before chiming in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2015, 10:49 AM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
23,816 posts, read 34,864,325 times
Reputation: 10258
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I'll wait until some relative newbie attempts an answer before chiming in.
I'm waiting, too. It could be very interesting. I remember when it had the full name on a brass plaque on the side of the building as you came up from the Broad St concourse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2015, 03:30 PM
 
Location: New York City
9,448 posts, read 9,471,166 times
Reputation: 6687
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Do any of you relative newbies to Philly know where the "Atlantic" name comes from?
An oil company?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2015, 04:16 PM
 
Location: Center City
7,529 posts, read 10,316,025 times
Reputation: 11038
There used to be an Atlantic oil company based in Philly and the Richfield oil company out west. They merged in the 1960s to form Atlantic Richfield (ARCO). ARCO carried the Atantic brand of gasoline in the east and the Richfield brand out west. BP took them over in the 90s and the brands disappeared.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2015, 05:20 AM
 
Location: Germantown, Philadelphia
14,395 posts, read 9,315,512 times
Reputation: 10712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
There used to be an Atlantic oil company based in Philly and the Richfield oil company out west. They merged in the 1960s to form Atlantic Richfield (ARCO). ARCO carried the Atantic brand of gasoline in the east and the Richfield brand out west. BP took them over in the 90s and the brands disappeared.
Atlantic Refining and Marketing Company was yet another remnant of the breakup of the Standard Oil trust.

Actually, after the two companies merged to form Atlantic Richfield, the gas stations were soon rebranded ARCO. In this market, the company was one of the first to convert its gas stations from repair shops to convenience stores; they were called AM/PM Mini Markets.

BP, IIRC, acquired only part of the company. Its East Coast gas station network ended up in the hands of Sunoco, which briefly revived the Atlantic name and branded the convenience stores as "A Plus" before converting all the stations to Sunoco outlets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:11 AM.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top