Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2015, 10:12 AM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,750,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Ruth's Chris was there for about 20 years so that at least worked.
Oh OK.
So this is indeed where Ruth's Chris Steak used to be.
I hope they find tenant soon.
A nice restaurant where all the people who watch the shows will be nice.

And yeah the new Ruth's Chris Steak in Sonesta is supposed to open this month I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2015, 07:44 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,664,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
Oh OK.

And yeah the new Ruth's Chris Steak in Sonesta is supposed to open this month I think.
Weirdly the actual ground floor, SW corner, never worked very long as a restaurant. There've been two in there.

Old 12-17-2015, 08:10 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,185,926 times
Quote:
Weirdly the actual ground floor, SW corner, never worked very long as a restaurant. There've been two in there.
Well, the building is being rehabbed for apartments. Add the number of residents there to the residents and guests at the new 47 story SLS hotel/condo building going up catty corner and you'll have a very busy corner. This would appear to be a pretty attractive location for a prospective retailer.

They've been working on the Atlantic building for some time. Wonder when it will be wrapped up?

Last edited by Pine to Vine; 12-17-2015 at 08:55 AM..

Old 12-17-2015, 09:13 AM

13,945 posts, read 8,793,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
Oh OK.

No, the space in question is NOT the former Ruth's Chris location. That's the Atlantic Building, at 260 South Broad - which is also being converted to residential above, commercial on lower two floors.

The building is shown in the photograph accompanying the Business Journal story. The space is in what had been called the Avenue of the Arts Building and is being renamed the Griffin by the developer of the residential portion.

The street-floor portion of the space housed the Olive Garden until this past summer. Floors 2 and 3 are being marketed along with that space.

The interesting thing about this is, the commercial space is owned by someone other than the developer of the rest of the building. By contrast, Post Brothers is redoing all of The Atlantic Building.

Seems we have a crop of former restaurants on the market along the Avenue of the Arts.

Kevin Sbraga, Carl Dranoff's favorite restaurateur, couldn't make a go of Juniper Commons (corner space in Dranoff's Southstar Lofts at Broad and South) and MSC Retail is currently marketing it.

Tashan, the modern Indian eatery in Dranoff's 777 South Broad, also closed this summer after a decent run.

I would love to know what ideas the Pestronks have in mind for the two street-floor spaces at 260 S. Broad.

Old 12-17-2015, 09:52 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,664,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Well, the building is being rehabbed for apartments. Add the number of residents there to the residents and guests at the new 47 story SLS hotel/condo building going up catty corner and you'll have a very busy corner. This would appear to be a pretty attractive location for a prospective retailer.

They've been working on the Atlantic building for some time. Wonder when it will be wrapped up?
Do any of you relative newbies to Philly know where the "Atlantic" name comes from?

Old 12-17-2015, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Do any of you relative newbies to Philly know where the "Atlantic" name comes from?
I'll wait until some relative newbie attempts an answer before chiming in.

Old 12-17-2015, 11:49 AM

23,809 posts, read 34,427,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I'll wait until some relative newbie attempts an answer before chiming in.
I'm waiting, too. It could be very interesting. I remember when it had the full name on a brass plaque on the side of the building as you came up from the Broad St concourse.

Old 12-17-2015, 04:30 PM

9,334 posts, read 9,191,704 times
Quote:
An oil company?

Old 12-17-2015, 05:16 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,185,926 times
There used to be an Atlantic oil company based in Philly and the Richfield oil company out west. They merged in the 1960s to form Atlantic Richfield (ARCO). ARCO carried the Atantic brand of gasoline in the east and the Richfield brand out west. BP took them over in the 90s and the brands disappeared.

Old 12-18-2015, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
There used to be an Atlantic oil company based in Philly and the Richfield oil company out west. They merged in the 1960s to form Atlantic Richfield (ARCO). ARCO carried the Atantic brand of gasoline in the east and the Richfield brand out west. BP took them over in the 90s and the brands disappeared.
Atlantic Refining and Marketing Company was yet another remnant of the breakup of the Standard Oil trust.

Actually, after the two companies merged to form Atlantic Richfield, the gas stations were soon rebranded ARCO. In this market, the company was one of the first to convert its gas stations from repair shops to convenience stores; they were called AM/PM Mini Markets.

BP, IIRC, acquired only part of the company. Its East Coast gas station network ended up in the hands of Sunoco, which briefly revived the Atlantic name and branded the convenience stores as "A Plus" before converting all the stations to Sunoco outlets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia