Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2015, 05:47 PM

23,816 posts, read 34,864,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
I went to Peirce(formerly Jr)College for one year, '69-'70, so we probably " saw" each other. Lol

Perrier, afaik, started in the space where Tequila's is now on Locust. St. Then he opened the first Le Bec Fin, where Vetri's is now, on Spruce St.
More than likely we saw each other. The art students frequently went in & out from the delivery entrance on Pine St.

I lived on Pine for a while & my roommate graduated in '72. She got a job at the new restaurant that was a block or two away on Pine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2015, 06:47 PM

9,448 posts, read 9,471,166 times
Target plans third store in Philadelphia

A third Target Express announced for the old Whole Foods by the Art Museum, this one will actually be significantly larger than the 2 planned for Chestnut St.

Old 12-18-2015, 08:47 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,826,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
LOL, I had some money for food, which was generally $1or less, but was headed off to do some Christmas shopping between classes. I went in to see what could be had at the automat but it & the selections were so dismal that I just left. I probably swung by the deli on 15th St after my shopping excursion. When I went in there I usually got a pickle from the barrel & a bottle of coke as that was what I could afford. That would have beat the automat, hands down. Maybe I got a hot dog at Woolworths. The automat was memorable, but not in a good way.
If you mean the Latimer Deli, it's still there.

Old 12-18-2015, 10:01 PM

Quote:
If you mean the Latimer Deli, it's still there.
That's the one. The rich kids used to go there & get sandwiches. The rest of us would go get a pickle & a bottle of Coke. I haven't been there for a few years. The last time I was in town I split my time between the Free Library & the City Archives so didn't get by there. I didn't want to assume it was still there.

Old 12-19-2015, 04:31 AM

14,395 posts, read 9,315,512 times
Quote:
I readily admit that I don't remember the name & may have conflated two names. I just remember the address was in the name & it was way out of my price range as an art student. I only knew about it because my boyfriend's father used to go there occasionally. Anyway, the restaurant scene was bleak at best. I remember going into an Automat once to see what they had. It was not something that the younger posters could even fathom.
The Automats - which are more closely associated with New York even though they originated here (the company that owned them currently runs a small cafe in the Suburban Station building) - had all disappeared from the scene by the time I got here in 1983.

I did, however, go into one on my first visit to New York in 1971.

Quote:
No, the restaurant she and I are thinking of was on S. Smedley St. between 16th and 17th Sts between Spruce and Pine.
I probably got the street wrong. I have passed the place and recall that there are houses on both sides of its street. The Drake occupies most of the west side of the 300 block of South Hicks Street.

Quote:
That sounds about right. I know it was nearish to PCA. I remember walking past it one day & it dawned on me that the name came from the street number. I was at PCA from '69 - '73. I don't feel badly that my memory of it is hazy.

Did Perrier start out on Pine St.? I knew someone who got a job at a new upscale restaurant in '72 that was on Pine. I think it was on the 1600 or 1700 block.
Someone else already pointed out where Perrier got started. When I moved here, the restaurant that had been Le Bec-Fin but was not yet Vetri was called Two Quails.

I did eat in The Garden once; it was located in a row house that had been converted into a music school before becoming a restaurant. ISTR it was just up Spruce from the PECO substation.

There was also La Panetiere, which I believe was in the space Tequila's now occupies. Don't know whether Perrier had anything to do with it. (Tequila's was originally in the 1500 block of Locust, the building that housed it was rebuilt and expanded - it's now the Misconduct Tavern.)

Have we mentioned Steve Poses yet in this side discussion? He was also one of the early stars of the Restaurant Renaissance. He started out with a high-end place, Frog, on Locust, and a moderate-priced, cafeteria-style eatery, The Commissary, on Sansom. He had just opened a restaurant called City Bites in the upstairs space across from the Ritz that now houses Positano Coast by Aldo Lamberti when I moved here. I think he may still be in the food service business, but only as a caterer.

Old 12-19-2015, 07:59 AM

52 posts, read 45,413 times
Peter von Starck owned La Panetiere. Perrier had nothing to do with it. After von Starck died it became a New Orleans style restaurant until Tequilas moved there.

Old 12-19-2015, 08:14 AM

Quote:
That's the one. The rich kids used to go there & get sandwiches. The rest of us would go get a pickle & a bottle of Coke. I haven't been there for a few years. The last time I was in town I split my time between the Free Library & the City Archives so didn't get by there. I didn't want to assume it was still there.
It's still an ok deli, IMO. Has great beer selections. It's owned by Koreans now so there are Korean items as well.

Old 12-19-2015, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
The Automats - which are more closely associated with New York even though they originated here (the company that owned them currently runs a small cafe in the Suburban Station building) - had all disappeared from the scene by the time I got here in 1983.

I did, however, go into one on my first visit to New York in 1971.

I probably got the street wrong. I have passed the place and recall that there are houses on both sides of its street. The Drake occupies most of the west side of the 300 block of South Hicks Street.

Someone else already pointed out where Perrier got started. When I moved here, the restaurant that had been Le Bec-Fin but was not yet Vetri was called Two Quails.

I did eat in The Garden once; it was located in a row house that had been converted into a music school before becoming a restaurant. ISTR it was just up Spruce from the PECO substation.

There was also La Panetiere, which I believe was in the space Tequila's now occupies. Don't know whether Perrier had anything to do with it. (Tequila's was originally in the 1500 block of Locust, the building that housed it was rebuilt and expanded - it's now the Misconduct Tavern.)

Have we mentioned Steve Poses yet in this side discussion? He was also one of the early stars of the Restaurant Renaissance. He started out with a high-end place, Frog, on Locust, and a moderate-priced, cafeteria-style eatery, The Commissary, on Sansom. He had just opened a restaurant called City Bites in the upstairs space across from the Ritz that now houses Positano Coast by Aldo Lamberti when I moved here. I think he may still be in the food service business, but only as a caterer.
Someone opened a high-end restaurant in '72 on Pine, west of PCA. My roommate worked there. I think it was between PCA & Philadelphia Wireless. I remember that her boss was not a native Philadelphian. It was not something that was engraved in my memory. The "restaurant revolution" started in spits & spurts. There are few of us with actual memories of the city before it posting on here.

Last edited by southbound_295; 12-19-2015 at 08:28 AM..

Old 12-19-2015, 08:26 AM

Quote:
It's still an ok deli, IMO. Has great beer selections. It's owned by Koreans now so there are Korean items as well.
It was a very good Jewish deli. Most of the rich students were from NYC & a few were foreign. The NYers loved that deli.

Old 12-19-2015, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post

The music school you mention was Philadelphia Musical Academy which merged with PCA to create UArts. Since southbound_295 is an alum of PCA, she's probably familiar with that merger.

Perrier, afaik, started at La Panetiere. The proprietor, Peter VanStark(sp) brought him over from Lyons, France. Again... Afaik. After La Panetiere that space became the Magnolia Cafe during the 80s.

Yes, I mentioned Steve Poses. Ah, nope, the first Frog was in the building where Monk's is now on 16th. Then it moved to Locust. And, it ran, concurrently, with the Commissary.

New people to the city and area, and younger people, simply have no idea how courageous these people were. They helped turn a "food desert", which is what Phila. was, in to what we have now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia