Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2013, 08:12 PM

421 posts, read 834,640 times

Advertisements

Pman, yes there are Targets and a few other examples of the store chains I mentioned, but not nearly enough as there could or should be. And actually Babies R Us doesn't have any stores in the city limits of Philadelphia, but Toys R Us does. The Babies R Us in Bensalem (Woodhaven) is very close to where Philadelphia County meets Bucks County though. I wish Philly were more like suburbs such as Montgomeryville, Exton, Downingtown, Plymouth Meeting, King of Prussia, and to a lesser extent Springfield. Also, Wilmington DE along the more northern part of 202 is a good example too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2013, 10:46 PM

Oh, and in response to Phillies2011's last post, why should Jo-Ann Fabrics have been forced to close their store on Bustleton (not far off Cottman) in Northeast Philly when Target wanted to build a store there?

Old 04-21-2013, 11:39 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,819,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wardwhirlboromarlpool1955 View Post
Pman, yes there are Targets and a few other examples of the store chains I mentioned, but not nearly enough as there could or should be. And actually Babies R Us doesn't have any stores in the city limits of Philadelphia, but Toys R Us does. The Babies R Us in Bensalem (Woodhaven) is very close to where Philadelphia County meets Bucks County though. I wish Philly were more like suburbs such as Montgomeryville, Exton, Downingtown, Plymouth Meeting, King of Prussia, and to a lesser extent Springfield. Also, Wilmington DE along the more northern part of 202 is a good example too.
I don't know what crack you've been smoking but you need to stop. montgomeryville is a dated POS and I can't imagine anyone with a decent head on their shoulders would wish for more of them. you seem to be very confused, you talk about the city but you praise only the worst of the region's sprawl as something to admire. the city should probably do the opposite of whatever you recomend.

Old 04-22-2013, 05:59 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,166,799 times
Let's return the focus of this thread to officially proposed or confirmed retail developments rather than hypothetical wish lists.

Old 04-22-2013, 06:31 AM

Is it true the Dairy Queen on South Street closed and is a pizzeria now? I VAGUELY remember hearing someone telling me that almost a year ago, but I couldn't discern whether it was truth or whether it was rumor. If so, it's a shame because while it was dated and sometimes seemed filthy, that Dairy Queen felt like an oasis of a small town in the South (no pun intended) and an escape from the commotion on South Street. The very name Dairy Queen makes me nostalgic for Texas where I grew up.

Also, was the Wine & Spirits on South Street (the closest one to the Whole Foods/Super Fresh/CVS) redone yet? That was definitely supposed to happen sometime in the last year. I hope they replaced the dreadful "cloth" signage on the front of the store. The very small non-pharmacy Walgreens that only lasted from 2008 to 2011 in the former Tower Records store nearby was also supposed to become something else but I don't remember what. Can anyone help refresh my memory? I would much appreciate it.

By the way, are the renovations of the Lord & Taylor in Bala Cynwyd done yet?

Old 04-22-2013, 01:29 PM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,767,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FamousBlueRaincoat View Post
This is what appalls you? About 90% of New York City seems to be Duane Reade. Fact is, they sell a lot of useful stuff, and there aren't a whole lot of alternatives.
AMEN to that! Leave CVS and RiteAId alone! For people like us who live in CenterCity, having them everywhere is the matter of convenience.

Old 04-22-2013, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
I think they should turn city hall into the world's largest radio shack and liberty one into a spaceship!

^that is what I feel like I'm reading whenever I see one of your posts. None of this is happening.
Holy crap! You read my mind! Although I think Liberty one is more suitable as a giant froyo shop.

Old 04-22-2013, 01:36 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,567,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wardwhirlboromarlpool1955 View Post
I shake my head.

Old 04-22-2013, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Not gonna happen, though I am very anxious to see what will become of the gallery over the next 5 years or so. It really at this point is an eyesore, both the clientele and the stores as well as the gross 1970s architecture. I would hope for a Target somewhere in there, probably your best bet.

Center City also desperately needs another upscale department store. Really crossing my fingers for a Bloomingdales, that would be a huge addition to the improving retail scene in center city.
I wonder the same. Whatever happens to Atlantic Building? I heard Bloomies is moving in?
How about the DAFFY building?

Old 04-22-2013, 01:58 PM

OK going back to the topic.
It was confirmed that SuitSupply would open on Locust in the middle of Feb. However when I went there, the building was still empty and pretty much dead.
When I checked their website again, they said that they will open on April 25th now.
I will get back to you this weekend and let you know whether it has opened or not.

Also another (not so big) news: I found out yesterday that Macy had opened one of their window display and made it an "impulse concept" store. where people from outside can actually see inside. Just like the Men's Skin Care department. I am talking about a window facing Chestnut Street. It creates a connection between the store and the street. It makes Chestnut street livelier (I am not saying that it was not lively as it was).

Last but not least, talked with guys in Kiehls. They said that they are staying in Liberty Place for good. Now if only they can make an entrance facing the street. The problem with transplants like me is that we would not even know that there are nice stores inside the building since they are not advertised outside and they don't have presence storefront facing the street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia