Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2016, 09:33 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,347,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Well, I'm glad to hear there's sufficient foot traffic around Market! I haven't been near East Market in a while.

Other than the insane delays about the state budget (2015/16) passage( I heard Wolf is just going to let much of it pass without his signature) which is part of the funding for the new gallery,I have hear nothing about the project being dead. Did you hear/read something?
Does that mean SLS will finally get going?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2016, 06:51 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,220,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post

Is the gallery project really dead or might that be an overly dramatic description?
It was my understanding that most of the retail in the Gallery has vacated in preparation for the remodeling. And FWIW the Gallery remodeling has been delayed(trouble finding tenants per phillycom) which imo is A good thing. I never liked the idea of an indoor mall in the middle of Center City. An indoor mall is the exact opposite of Center Cityshould be striving for. There are a ton of banged up store fronts in Center City especially around the Gallery that could use the investment and retail presence that will instead be going into the indoor Gallery.

Last edited by rainrock; 03-26-2016 at 07:07 PM..

Old 03-27-2016, 06:04 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,765,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Does that mean SLS will finally get going?
I hope so! Carl D did say something about a summer start date in any case.

Old 03-27-2016, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
It was my understanding that most of the retail in the Gallery has vacated in preparation for the remodeling. And FWIW the Gallery remodeling has been delayed(trouble finding tenants per phillycom) which imo is A good thing. I never liked the idea of an indoor mall in the middle of Center City. An indoor mall is the exact opposite of Center Cityshould be striving for. There are a ton of banged up store fronts in Center City especially around the Gallery that could use the investment and retail presence that will instead be going into the indoor Gallery.
Re-branding it with this "outlet mall" concept isn't a great idea either. Ugh...

Old 03-27-2016, 07:47 AM

7,529 posts, read 10,265,606 times
This Inky article from a handful of weeks back covered the impact of the budget impasse on local development projects, highlighting the impact on the SLS: Budget stalemate puts damper on developers' plans for Phila
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
Is the gallery project really dead or might that be an overly dramatic description?
I haven't read anything about the Gallery being dead. It was more a matter of how state funding (or lack of it) would impact the scope of the project. Here is the quote from PREIT on the Gallery:

At a point, we're going to have to make a 'go' decision based on either having the money or not having the money, and that will help to define the project," said Coradino, who declined to elaborate on how a project with the funding would differ from one without.

It's basically all vague musings.

Old 03-28-2016, 09:05 AM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,769,139 times
Quote:
Re-branding it with this "outlet mall" concept isn't a great idea either. Ugh...
Not to mention that people will start calling it "FOP" (Fashion Outlet of Philadelphia).
Sounds horrible.
Too close to the word "flop".

Speaking of which, there are couple things I noticed lately.
1. The East Market development had started erecting the metal frame above ground. So now if you are walking on Market East, you will see the metal frame hulking out. I am excited!
2. MODELLS had officially moved to Walnut where City Sports is.

Anybody knows what happen in that corner retail across from Cheesecake where AT&T planned to move in? It has been months. It actually kind of give me a hope that AT&T bailed, which means something else might come in.

Old 03-28-2016, 11:48 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,347,531 times
Quote:
They should have just torn the whole thing down, renovated the concourse, and built office towers if only the city could attract companies for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
Not to mention that people will start calling it "FOP" (Fashion Outlet of Philadelphia).
Sounds horrible.
Too close to the word "flop".

Speaking of which, there are couple things I noticed lately.
1. The East Market development had started erecting the metal frame above ground. So now if you are walking on Market East, you will see the metal frame hulking out. I am excited!
2. MODELLS had officially moved to Walnut where City Sports is.

Anybody knows what happen in that corner retail across from Cheesecake where AT&T planned to move in? It has been months. It actually kind of give me a hope that AT&T bailed, which means something else might come in.

I don't think they bailed since their stickers are all over the windows still.

Warby Parker is opening early this summer too. Finally a retail store that will generate good foot traffic.

Old 03-28-2016, 03:09 PM

283 posts, read 463,971 times
The F(L)OP could eventually be successful. I think the developers may have "jumped the gun" if you will on trying to do large scale redevelopment of the Gallery and I'm just not sure the market is there for the scale they were going for. That's not to say it couldn't and shouldn't be improved right now, I just think we should hamper our expectations for that project for now. In the future I can see it attracting more middle-high end shopping, just not yet. The space at least exists and I can see low-end places being pushed out in the future - for now it'll likely be mostly middle-end places, with some lower and higher brow retailers mixed in. I certainly wouldn't argue that's a bad thing.

In regards to Market East more generally, I really hope Aramark doesn't leave the Aramark Tower for PMCs proposed development at 2400 Market as they are rumored to. It'd be a huge blow just when it seems Market East is finally turning around. They stuck it out in that tower through Market East's worst decades (80s-00s), it'd be a shame if they left now. In other news/rumors, on the skyscraperpage forum someone mentioned that they had a credible source saying Vangaurd was looking at moving into the city, which would be HUGE . I wouldn't expect a full-blown relocation right away but if they were too move a good portion of their operations to the City I can see them anchoring a new office tower. I think the ideal location for them would be the garage Brandywine recently bought at 6th and Market. It's close to many of the law offices in Old City and Midtown Village. Jefferson Station concourse connects to 8th and Market (Also served by PATCO and the MFL) from which 6th Street is only short walk from. It's also close the Federal Reserve Bank in Philly which Vanguard surely has ties to. Brandywine purportedly bought the 6th and Market garage (which is zoned CMX-5 btw) as a "bet on the future," though with how active they have been as of late and after hearing their CEO speak in a lecture recently, I'm inclined to think they bought the garage with something in mind. Vanguard would be a great fit at that location.

End rant. I just this as an opportunity to speculate wildly about the future of Market East.

Old 03-30-2016, 07:52 AM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,769,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPhan95 View Post
The F(L)OP could eventually be successful. I think the developers may have "jumped the gun" if you will on trying to do large scale redevelopment of the Gallery and I'm just not sure the market is there for the scale they were going for. That's not to say it couldn't and shouldn't be improved right now, I just think we should hamper our expectations for that project for now. In the future I can see it attracting more middle-high end shopping, just not yet. The space at least exists and I can see low-end places being pushed out in the future - for now it'll likely be mostly middle-end places, with some lower and higher brow retailers mixed in. I certainly wouldn't argue that's a bad thing.
Middle-class "sprinkled" with low-end retailers are not a bad thing.
As long as they revamp the site so that it looks presentable.
I think that is what most people have problem with - how dead the Gallery was.
I was actually one of those who mourned the demise of kMart when they closed down.
It was my get-to-go place if I want to get basic necessities like toilet paper, extra towels and toys for Christmas.

Old 03-30-2016, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
Middle-class "sprinkled" with low-end retailers are not a bad thing.
As long as they revamp the site so that it looks presentable.
I think that is what most people have problem with - how dead the Gallery was.
I was actually one of those who mourned the demise of kMart when they closed down.
It was my get-to-go place if I want to get basic necessities like toilet paper, extra towels and toys for Christmas.
Well, that KMart space was originally Gimbels. They moved from 8th and Market into the Gallery. And we're still looking at the empty spot left by Gimbels at that corner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia