Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2016, 12:03 PM

23,809 posts, read 34,341,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
How long has it been since you were in Center City? Retail is coming back. But it would take a considerable amount of time to weed through old posts on this thread and the Philadelphia 2035 thread for you to learn that.

You are aware, right, that the three remaining old dept store buildings in CC are primarily offices buildings wrt their upper floors. The Inquirer and the PA State government offices are in the S&C bldg. At least one fed agency(OSHA) is in the Wanamaker Bldg.
They're not mostly empty if that's what you think.
I knew that there were offices in the former department stores. It's still sad, but not as bad as totally empty. I had an unexpected health problem. Paying off the medical debt has kept me from travelling. I still have a goal of getting back to the metro, permanently. It's just paying off the medical debt. . . I still wanted to try a department store in Center City, if I had won that Powerball. A billion dollars would have paid the debt, moved me, plus left enough to start a department store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2016, 12:07 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,627,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Mea Culpa.

God bless you then. Because if I'd won, that would not even be the last thing on my mind to do with ANY of that windfall.

AJNEOA and Southbound, do you think Ceine, Gucci, Hermes and Chanel -- haven't done the homework to look at CC, OR whether they have or not, they just don't see a benefit to being in CC and don't see the "loss" of sales from So. Jersey residents as an issue?
This has come up before in this thread. I brought it up. No, I believe that they have not done enough, or any, research about whether CC is currently a viable place to put any branch of their stores. They probably would take, or believe, all the old stereotypes about the city as a whole: it's blue collar or it's too poor, and project that onto CC. And, KoP has an established rep that's long standing which makes it safer to invest in a high end store there.

Old 09-07-2016, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Well, I remember seeing people in Haddonfield decked out in what was, obviously, high end gear. That was long ago. Like you & I have said, who wants to drive out the Surekill to go to a mall when people in the city used to walk or take a bus or subway to the shopping & people in South Jersey & Delaware used to take the trains in.

I'm very sorry that Boscov never went into Center City.
Boscov's has never gone into any part of the city afaik.

Old 09-07-2016, 12:10 PM

Quote:
The store I miss, other than S&C, is B Altmans.
If I had a magic wand & could bring back 2, it would be Bambergers & Wanamakers. Believe it or not, Lits would be in 3rd place for me. I loved their bargain basement.

Old 09-07-2016, 12:14 PM

Quote:
This has come up before in this thread. I brought it up. No, I believe that they have not done enough, or any, research about whether CC is currently a viable place to put any branch of their stores. They probably would take, or believe, all the old stereotypes about the city as a whole: it's blue collar or it's too poor, and project that onto CC. And, KoP has an established rep that's long standing which makes it safer to invest in a high end store there.
I agree. I don't think that recent decisions to go to King of Prussia are based on anything other than following like lemmings. That was the basis of my opinion.

Old 09-07-2016, 12:18 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,811,871 times
Quote:
I agree. I don't think that recent decisions to go to King of Prussia are based on anything other than following like lemmings. That was the basis of my opinion.
If I really really needed some super high-end stuff, I would rather pay for an Amtrak ticket and enjoy the ride to NYC to do some real shopping, rather than drive to KOP. But that's just me.

Old 09-07-2016, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Boscov's has never gone into any part of the city afaik.
At one point there was talk of them going into the Gimbels/Sterns store in the Gallery. I don't think that they ever crossed the city line.

Old 09-07-2016, 12:21 PM

9,317 posts, read 9,141,671 times
Quote:
I think CC will continue to improve but, I agree, KoP is just a totally fixed destination in too many minds that it's hard to imagine it falling since it hasn't at all so far.

And if anything KoP area is trying "urbanize" or least keep up with the changing times, which is another draw, unlike other areas with potential (Ardmore).

Quote:
I agree with that point. Sharing some NYC experiences... when I mention I am from the Philly area, people unfamiliar either think you live on the rich Main Line, or in the crime ridden trashy Philadelphia. Those however who have actually visited the city have never had a bad thing to say about it. But the old stereotypes are most definitely still lingering, and it doesn't help that we have the capital of the world 2 hours away.

Quote:
But that to me is a sign of an extremely well developed and healthy retail market. You can say the same for NYC, San Fran, DC, retailers are jumping at the opportunity to join the KoP district because success is likely. Philly/SJ is "chancing it" in most retailers minds.

Old 09-07-2016, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
If I really really needed some super high-end stuff, I would rather pay for an Amtrak ticket and enjoy the ride to NYC to do some real shopping, rather than drive to KOP. But that's just me.
When the move to King of Prussia started, i knew people who doubled down on the department stores. A couple would take the train to DC for whatever.

Old 09-07-2016, 12:25 PM

Quote:
The loss of the department stores in Center City was tragic. One lottery windfall couldn't recreate Wanamakers or Strawbridge & Clothier. It might recreate Lit Brothers or Gimbels, with the hope of making improvements, if I lived long enough.
Hmmmm....as I understand it dept store retail is very difficult wrt profitability in the 21st century. Macy's just closed about 100 stores. Online shopping is a huge and unstoppable. For instance Macy's in NYC no longer has the huge houseware section in its basement. Something like fingerhut or amazon probably had a hand in killing something that made that store a must everytime I went to NYC. Now I rarely bother going in there.

Millennial Philadelphians, who probably are getting close to out numbering Boomers or older gen-x at this point have never heard of Lits or Gimbels. Lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia