Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2013, 03:30 PM

802 posts, read 1,312,670 times

Advertisements

Market East and the Gallery will take a loooooong time before they become hotspots. I know it will not happen in my lifetime.

Chestnut between 9th and 13th is also shabby looking, but will probably improve before the Gallery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 03:36 PM

3,262 posts, read 5,608,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie1125 View Post
Market East and the Gallery will take a loooooong time before they become hotspots. I know it will not happen in my lifetime.
How old are you?

Old 05-02-2013, 03:37 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,161,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
JM02. You have to think of it this way.

1. The Gallery is not Fifth Avenue... Walnut is Philadelphia's Fifth Avenue.
Personally, I don't see Walnut as our version of 5th Avenue. I see it as a scaled-down version of Boston's Newberry Street. Not a bad thing, btw, as Newberry is one of my favorite streets.
Quote:
2. Market East will not be Fifth Avenue, the plan is to make it more Times Square-esk.

The Gallery is going to be hot in a few years. Market East is going to be hot in a few years.
I appreciate your enthusiasm and time will tell.
Quote:
If Bloomie's and their lawyers and design team have been there 4 times, they're obviously serious about getting into the Center City market. Between this, and talks with Post Brothers for space in the Atlantic Building, I'd say they're definitely shopping around. I'm still willing to bet they end up in the Atlantic Building
I will take your word that Bloomie's has been here four times. As for the Atlantic Building, I personally don't see it. Department stores (particularly high-end ones) like to evoke a hushed sense of space, luxury and openness horizontally. The Atlantic Building will offer vertical shopping.

One of us will be right. I actually hope you are, as it will be good for Philly. As I said earlier, time will tell.

Old 05-02-2013, 04:04 PM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,744,634 times
Quote:
In good news! Finally! Uniqlo has announced they are coming to Philadelphia!

I'm willing to bet they end up in the new retail development at 15th & Walnut

Confirmed: Uniqlo is Coming to Philadelphia—But Where? - Intelligence - Racked Philly
AMEN!
Please dont go to KOP!!!! COme to Walnut pleaseeee!!! I am tired zip-car-ing or share 124 / 125 bus with some ghetto people

Speaking of the building, I just checked their website. So it is going to be a 6 level building or just three?
http://15andwalnut.com/location.html

I thought it would only be a three level building with a confirmed Cheesecake Factory occupying the first 2 floors?

Old 05-02-2013, 04:09 PM

12,000 posts, read 12,816,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monicapies View Post
What about a more meat and potatoes bowling alley in this part of the city? Instead of Lucky Strike?
Check out PEP Bowl near Broad and Federal. Not many lanes but it's very lowkey and BYOB!!!

Old 05-02-2013, 04:18 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,569,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie1125 View Post

Chestnut between 9th and 13th is also shabby looking, but will probably improve before the Gallery.
Annnd that's why you don't work in Real Estate. You have to see potential. Do you think Blatstein didn't see potential in NoLibs when he was investing in the area? Edmund Bacon in Society Hill? Penn in UCity? Eric Blumenfeld in North Broad.

If Blumenfeld can take a stretch of North Broad, almost entirely surrounded by ghettos, and create not only one of the best loft apartments in the city (640 N Broad) with one of the best restaurants (Osteria), but also developed a complex with some of the best restaurants right next door! These areas were MUCH higher risk being in North Philadelphia, than a neighborhood in Center City. You can't look at what is there now, but what could possibly be there in the future. That's what developers do. There is so much potential in Market East. Old City, Independence Mall, Washington Square West, City Hall, Avenue of the Arts, Convention Center, Chinatown, Reading Terminal Market surround it on every corner. Some of the biggest tourist sites in the city. On top of that, Macy's is a block away, Market East station sits under the building (easy access for suburban shoppers) and there are two pads on top that can hold two hotel/office/residential towers. Obviously PREIT sees the potential in Market East, or they would not be interested in redeveloping it.

Obviously other developers see the potential in Market East as well.

Old 05-02-2013, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
AMEN!
Please dont go to KOP!!!! COme to Walnut pleaseeee!!! I am tired zip-car-ing or share 124 / 125 bus with some ghetto people

Speaking of the building, I just checked their website. So it is going to be a 6 level building or just three?
15 and Walnut Streets | Retail Space | Philadelphia | Availabilities

I thought it would only be a three level building with a confirmed Cheesecake Factory occupying the first 2 floors?
Can't wait until SEPTA extends rail service to KOP! That would be the smartest thing SEPTA could do. Imagine a rail line that runs right into the mall? So many people would take the train there for the day who are visiting Philly... and that may get tourists out to other parts of the city like Manayunk and Chestnut Hill as well.

Old 05-02-2013, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
AMEN!

15 and Walnut Streets | Retail Space | Philadelphia | Availabilities

This is the rendering of the building

http://www.phillymag.com/realestate/...-philadelphia/ Mod cut - replaced copyrighted picture with link

...and yes a Cheesecake Factory will be on the second floor. Buildings can always add floors though. Nothing is ever set in stone. Even during construction developers add floors all the time. The Family Court Building was originally going to be 14 floors, one more floor was added to make it 15 during construction. The new Temple highrise was going to be 24 floors, three more floors were added during construction, etc. etc.

If a retailer comes to the developer of this building and is interested in space, they will add more floors.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 05-03-2013 at 09:11 PM..

Old 05-02-2013, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
How old are you?
Old enough to know that it will be a very long time before the Gallery becomes an attractive places for quality retailers.

Old 05-02-2013, 04:42 PM

Quote:
This is the rendering of the building

...and yes a Cheesecake Factory will be on the second floor. Buildings can always add floors though. Nothing is ever set in stone. Even during construction developers add floors all the time. The Family Court Building was originally going to be 14 floors, one more floor was added to make it 15 during construction. The new Temple highrise was going to be 24 floors, three more floors were added during construction, etc. etc.

If a retailer comes to the developer of this building and is interested in space, they will add more floors.
That design is hideous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia