Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2013, 07:38 PM

8,977 posts, read 21,051,977 times

Advertisements

This thread has adopted an unnecessarily tense tone in some recent posts. Participating in a civil discussion will maximize thread life and minimize infractions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 09:08 PM

3,263 posts, read 5,621,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Edmund Bacon, Bart Blatstein, Eric Blumenfeld and UPenn all have done similar things in the redevelopment of Philadelphia, which is why I used them as examples. UPenn is not a developer either.

Edmund Bacon redeveloped Market East, Society Hill, Penn Center, Penn's Landing, Independence Mall and several other areas. Penn singlehandedly redeveloped University City and surrounding areas, and Blatstein Northern Liberties. Blumenfeld is redeveloping North Broad.
Penn is absolutely a real estate developer (among many other things)! They had Tom Lussenhop on staff, even.

I know why you used them as examples. But Ed Bacon was a (great) planner, who worked in the public sector, and whose ideas were often misimplemented by developers. The Gallery = case in point.

Old 05-03-2013, 08:48 AM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,750,808 times
Quote:
I think the building is a beautiful design
I agree with Summer. The building is beautiful, and I am not an architect either.
One should be able to appreciate both the old and new architectural designs.

Last edited by asiandudeyo; 05-03-2013 at 09:10 AM..

Old 05-03-2013, 09:06 AM

12,000 posts, read 12,846,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
To be fair, Ed Bacon (a planner, not a developer) was the brains behind the Gallery as well as Society Hill. And Independence Mall too. A mixed track record to be sure (not all his fault of course).
Mmh, so he was the planner for The Gallery (meh), Penn's Landing (meh) and he wanted to tear down City Hall. Mixed track record for sure.

Old 05-03-2013, 11:47 AM

3,263 posts, read 5,621,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
I agree with Summer. The building is beautiful, and I am not an architect either.
Yes. And we have to remember that all "old" stuff was "new" stuff when it was built. And a lot of people hated it when it was new, but grew to appreciate it much later. Case in point: City Hall!

Old 05-03-2013, 02:13 PM

802 posts, read 1,314,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
I like a mixture of old and new also....but I just think that particular building is ugly.

As far as the Gallery, I say it will take at least 10 years for it to show improvement. The place has a terrible image. I was there two weeks ago and there wasn't one store in there that appealed to me. The Gallery went downhill, in my opinion, when J.C. Penney left. It really is a shame because when it first opened, it was a great place to shop.

Last edited by Debbie1125; 05-03-2013 at 02:25 PM..

Old 05-03-2013, 05:59 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,506,724 times
The Gallery does not appeal to me either, although I usually stop in at the K-Mart once a month for some type of household thing e.g. humidifier, dish soap, etc. Everything else in there though I can easily leave it, although 5 Below has Arnold Palmers and I like those from time to time. Something you can get everywhere, though.

Either way, sorry to hear that you're in such bad health, Debbie.

Old 05-03-2013, 08:35 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,212,128 times
The glass box isn't particularly awful in my opinion - there has surely been worse, and the urbanism seems okay from the rendering. But in my opinion it's still just a glass box. Even if people are excited about it today, I don't know that it has any lasting value or charm. Which is fine - not every building should be a monument unto itself. I think the praise for it, more specifically from Inga in the inquirer, is a little overboard.

The Gallery can surely be better than it is. But one thing people should remember is that it is useful as a transit mall. Thousands of people per day come through the mall on the Market Frankford Line, Regional Rail lines, Broad Ridge Spur, and NJ Transit and SEPTA buses. And yeah, there's a kmart there - a kmart I've stopped at many mornings after I get off the train.

Just like one of the first things you see after exiting Penn Station is a Kmart. And a lot of crap. As well as a lot of nice stuff.

Not to say there aren't a plethora of problems with the Gallery, in design, clientele, the surrounding area, and so on. But it's good to keep things in perspective sometimes.

Old 05-03-2013, 08:37 PM

756 posts, read 2,110,785 times
Quote:
PREIT overtook Cherry Hill Mall in 2006? I think? Before that, it was nothing really special and sort of dumpy. Well, do I need to say more? You know where Cherry Hill Mall is today. Soo, that's 7 years? I'll give them 7 years to turn around the Gallery. If you plan on dying within that time frame then yeah I guess you're right.
It was 2003 that PREIT purchased it and five other area malls from the Rouse Co. PREIT also owns the Cumberland Mall in Vineland, NJ but that wasn't part of that purchase.

CH Mall wasn't dumpy back in 2005, atleast not between the macy's and the old food court. It has been one of the high performing malls in the region after King of Prussia for years, and one of the key malls and reasons PREIT bought six area malls from the Rouse Co.

The dumpy side was limited between the foodcourt and JCPenney, and it really was still ok, just not as nice.

The most underperforming mall in the mix was the Echelon Mall, while the CH Mall was the arguably best one in the mix, but PREIT knew that it got a bundled deal with some duds. Moorestown, Plymouth Meeting, Exton and Gallery were bundled together in the sale. Plymouth Meeting and Exton were suburban B malls, in the shadow and relative close proximity of King of Prussia. Co-owning Moorestown prevented it from out-shining CH, but Rouse Co. had acquired Moorestown some years earlier.

The Gallery sits in a great location but would require much investment to make it worth more, plus PREIT didn't control all of it.

Last edited by avg12; 05-03-2013 at 09:13 PM..

Old 05-03-2013, 09:01 PM

756 posts, read 2,110,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie1125 View Post
I like a mixture of old and new also....but I just think that particular building is ugly.

As far as the Gallery, I say it will take at least 10 years for it to show improvement. The place has a terrible image. I was there two weeks ago and there wasn't one store in there that appealed to me. The Gallery went downhill, in my opinion, when J.C. Penney left. It really is a shame because when it first opened, it was a great place to shop.
I always thought JCPenney should have returned to the mall at the 8th&Market site when Strawbridge's closed. It would have been an upgrade for them than the position it left years ago, as the 8th&Market site sits above PATCO.

Atleast when Strawbridge's closed and Macy's opened at 1300 Market, and during the late 2000s, JCPenney was in good shape financially to have done that.

I don't think the JCPenney in the Franklin Mills Mall counts as servicing Philly again.

However, JCPenney went downhill in the last couple years. Recently their new TV ads are embracing the fully spelled JCPenney rather than that ugly jcp logo, and they want customers to come back. Their website still shows the jcp crappy logo though and gives an image that the store is like kmart.

The aisle widening and reduction of store inventory made many of the JCPenney stores look like Sears with a little makeup, so I don't know how they will reverse that mistake easily.

Either way, hopefully JCPenney will rebound, and maybe they'd return into Center City. They did go into Manhattan not too long ago.

Another good mid level store, but maybe less likely for the Gallery is Kohl's. Kohl's is in Jersey City, which isn't as urban as Philly but atleast half way or more than usual.

Last edited by avg12; 05-03-2013 at 09:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia