Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2013, 09:56 AM

17 posts, read 30,633 times

Advertisements

Theory, Madewell, Camper, potentially Nordstrom (I'm guessing rack)

More Philadelphia Retail News: Camper Coming, and That Darned Daffy's Space | Property: Philadelphia Real Estate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 11:10 AM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,744,835 times
So Theory is replacing Joan Shepp. Madewell is replacing Arden B.
Hmmm i dont really news revolving around X replacing Y, but in this case I believe it means Joan Shepp moves to Chestnut? It should be a good thing finallly; especially after that redundant Victoria Secret and Dress Barn are closing.
How about Arden B? Can it move to Chestnut too?

Several tenants occupying Daffy's building? WOW! I hope that's right

Old 06-04-2013, 07:41 PM

421 posts, read 828,470 times
I just found out about this today: Giant to Open at Former Edgmont Genuardi

How ironic... a Genuardi's that closed long before the rest of the chain was sold to Giant is now going to be completely gutted and remodeled both inside and outside (if not demolished and rebuilt) for a Giant. Also right now, the demolished former Kmart in Flourtown is being replaced by a Giant, but Giant has only had a presence in the town since they bought the Genuardi's less than a year ago. But this Newtown Square store will be awfully small for a Giant. The Giant down the street in West Chester (the one that once was a Super Fresh, then Clemens in years past) is also quite small for a Giant, but I guess the larger Giant in Broomall, which was an old Two Guys/Jefferson Ward/Bradlees store, helps to balance things out. But I have a suspicion: the Staples next to the empty Genuardi's will almost certainly close to allow for a somewhat bigger Giant. The Staples in Villanova closed on its own earlier this year, and opened around the same time as the Newtown Square store. Both of these are/were in weak locations.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:06 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,503,824 times
Oh, interesting. I never realised Edgmont was in Philadelphia.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:01 PM

Of course it doesn't have a Philadelphia mailing address or any role in Philadelphia government, but I think most suburbs of Philadelphia (including those outside PA) belong to Philadelphia culturally. And Newtown Square/Edgmont especially do. That area is a 20 minute drive from the city limits, and Upper Darby is quite close. Upper Darby is Philadelphia in all but name. To get that point across, what could possibly be LESS "suburban" than the immediate area surrounding 69th St Station? That place is filthy and terrifying, and I really do believe suburbanites who feel "safe" there are delusional. I don't mean to play the race card but I feel people give me dirty looks for being white there.

Also, Philadelphia is such an old city with zero land available for new construction of anything, not including where demolition is involved. The variety of retail establishments in the city is very limited, so residents are forced to travel outside.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:49 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,503,824 times
I've never been forced to travel outside of Philadelphia for anything. The only time I do so is to Upper Darby for the H-Mart there, although I could easily go to the H-Mart that is in North Philadelphia.

Old 06-04-2013, 10:22 PM

I would much rather have seen Big Lots open where this Genuardi's was. Unfortunately the Big Lots name will forever be haunted by the seedy stores run by that company in the 80's. But things have changed, especially since 2000. Their Aston store is really dumpy though, and way too small. It must only be about a quarter of the size of any other Big Lots.

Old 06-05-2013, 06:50 AM

512 posts, read 1,011,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wardwhirlboromarlpool1955 View Post
Of course it doesn't have a Philadelphia mailing address or any role in Philadelphia government, but I think most suburbs of Philadelphia (including those outside PA) belong to Philadelphia culturally. And Newtown Square/Edgmont especially do. That area is a 20 minute drive from the city limits, and Upper Darby is quite close. Upper Darby is Philadelphia in all but name. To get that point across, what could possibly be LESS "suburban" than the immediate area surrounding 69th St Station? That place is filthy and terrifying, and I really do believe suburbanites who feel "safe" there are delusional. I don't mean to play the race card but I feel people give me dirty looks for being white there.

Also, Philadelphia is such an old city with zero land available for new construction of anything, not including where demolition is involved. The variety of retail establishments in the city is very limited, so residents are forced to travel outside.

This thread should stay focused on the city's retail developments. If you want to start a suburban thread go ahead. It will become to unwieldy if this thread includes everything from King of Prussia to Walnut st. The city competes with the suburbs and gets nothing in return if people shop in suburbs. The city would be better off if King of prussia and the the suburban sprawl didnt exist.

Old 06-05-2013, 07:12 AM

802 posts, read 1,312,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wardwhirlboromarlpool1955 View Post
I just found out about this today: Giant to Open at Former Edgmont Genuardi

How ironic... a Genuardi's that closed long before the rest of the chain was sold to Giant is now going to be completely gutted and remodeled both inside and outside (if not demolished and rebuilt) for a Giant. Also right now, the demolished former Kmart in Flourtown is being replaced by a Giant, but Giant has only had a presence in the town since they bought the Genuardi's less than a year ago. But this Newtown Square store will be awfully small for a Giant. The Giant down the street in West Chester (the one that once was a Super Fresh, then Clemens in years past) is also quite small for a Giant, but I guess the larger Giant in Broomall, which was an old Two Guys/Jefferson Ward/Bradlees store, helps to balance things out. But I have a suspicion: the Staples next to the empty Genuardi's will almost certainly close to allow for a somewhat bigger Giant. The Staples in Villanova closed on its own earlier this year, and opened around the same time as the Newtown Square store. Both of these are/were in weak locations.
This thread is referencing retail in Philadelphia.

Old 06-05-2013, 08:01 AM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,744,835 times
According to Philly Chit Chat, Bloomingdales is way to impatient now to have PREIT seal the deal with them in the Gallery. They have started shopping around for another spot in Philadelphia meanwhile. They are aiming to have a store opens by the end of the year. Why don't they consider Atlantic Building? Of course considering that they are planning to open a full blown Bloomies instead of just the outlet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia