Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2017, 08:31 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,250,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
Some new updates for Fashion District Philadelphia tenant roster: They include the following 'typical' mid market mall stores:

Hollister
Famous Footwear
Bath & Body Works
American Eagle
Abercrombie & Fitch.

This is the existing roster that was announced earlier this year.

Premium AMC Theater
H & M (hopefully this is a flagship location that also includes H & M home)
Columbia
Levi's
Sketcher's
Francesca's

Really for myself the only retailers that really are relevant/stand out : AMC, H & M, Levi's. The remaining are rather boring, and can be found in any middle market mall in anywhere, USA. Do most of these retailers presently exist in Center City? No they do not. And there is a need for variety in Center City shopping across income levels. Even KOP has mid market stores. So let's see where things turn from here.

There is a new rendering for the site PRIET purchased on the opposite side of Market across from FOD. It includes about a 15 story building, with a MAJOR retailer component on the ground floor. They definitely have something up their sleeve.
Not much of a fashion forward guy here, so don’t really care about luxury brands (though I do get the importance of the cachet these brands bring to the city).

Of the list, I’m glad to see Levi’s and Columbia. Would like to see more men’s footwear - a Clark’s, an Ecco and a larger Walking Store than we have now would bring a smile. I can dream. Seems a Container Store would do well there. Would have appreciated a Crate And Barrel, particularly since Design Within Reach pulled out from Market East, but the opening of CB2 precludes that. Not familiar with CB2, so am looking forward to the opening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2017, 10:30 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,749,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Not much of a fashion forward guy here, so don’t really care about luxury brands (though I do get the importance of the cachet these brands bring to the city).

Of the list, I’m glad to see Levi’s and Columbia. Would like to see more men’s footwear - a Clark’s, an Ecco and a larger Walking Store than we have now would bring a smile. I can dream. Seems a Container Store would do well there. Would have appreciated a Crate And Barrel, particularly since Design Within Reach pulled out from Market East, but the opening of CB2 precludes that. Not familiar with CB2, so am looking forward to the opening.
The CB2 in SoHo in NY is meh, so I'm not expecting much.

Old 12-31-2017, 11:17 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
I was in the city last night and noticed that TD bank at 18th and Walnut has all the windows covered in paper, did that location close? If so that is a perfect retail opportunity.

Old 12-31-2017, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I was in the city last night and noticed that TD bank at 18th and Walnut has all the windows covered in paper, did that location close? If so that is a perfect retail opportunity.
It's a perfect location for retail.

TD was doing okay profit-wise a few months ago so who knows what's going on at that branch or if it's closed for good.

Old 12-31-2017, 02:14 PM

14,146 posts, read 9,038,713 times
Quote:

I dunno; I consider Design Beyond Reach a few notches upmarket from Crate and Barrel.

Old 01-01-2018, 01:32 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,250,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I dunno; I consider Design Beyond Reach a few notches upmarket from Crate and Barrel.
I’m just disappointed that we’re getting neither - just a Crate and Barrel lower tier outlet.

Old 01-01-2018, 01:51 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,310,407 times
Quote:
I’m just disappointed that we’re getting neither - just a Crate and Barrel lower tier outlet.

I think CB2 is an excellent addition to Center City. It is a step above West Elm while still being attainable. One of the largest demographics in Center City are millennials (Philadelphia is the fastest growing city for millennials in the nation) and as the majority are reaching their 30s they are entering their prime 1st time home buyer stage. CB2 caters perfectly well to them.

I would love to have a Design Within Reach. And a store like Design Within Reach certainly adds cache to Philadelphia. But to be honest. It is more welcomed for me as a consumer to have a place that sells $2,000 dollar sofas rather than $4,000 dollar sofas. CB2 is a very welcomed addition. And I am sure its success will warrant other retailers of similar caliber to take notice.

We all comment on having luxury retailers in Philadelphia. But how many of us are actually shopping at Hermes in Center City? I know I am not. Beyond there cologne? lol For example the new T.J Maxx I will most likely frequent on a regular basis at Market East. A high end retailer I certainly would not.

I think Center City has room for growth for retailers like All Saints, Topshop, Longchamp etc. But super high end to me who cares. Obviously it adds cache to the city. But of all the people on this forum how often are we shopping at Gucci? lol

Last edited by rowhomecity; 01-01-2018 at 02:02 PM..

Old 01-01-2018, 03:50 PM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Quote:
I think CB2 is an excellent addition to Center City. It is a step above West Elm while still being attainable. One of the largest demographics in Center City are millennials (Philadelphia is the fastest growing city for millennials in the nation) and as the majority are reaching their 30s they are entering their prime 1st time home buyer stage. CB2 caters perfectly well to them.

We all comment on having luxury retailers in Philadelphia. But how many of us are actually shopping at Hermes in Center City? I know I am not. Beyond there cologne? lol For example the new T.J Maxx I will most likely frequent on a regular basis at Market East. A high end retailer I certainly would not.

I think Center City has room for growth for retailers like All Saints, Topshop, Longchamp etc. But super high end to me who cares. Obviously it adds cache to the city. But of all the people on this forum how often are we shopping at Gucci? lol
Restoration Hardware would probably be on my wishlist if I lived in Center City.

As far as high-end retail I think brands/ designers along the lines of Hugo Boss, Ted Baker, Club Monaco (mens) John Varvatos, etc. would do well, because they cater to people who know style and also disposable income.

As far as Gucci, Prada, YSL, Hermes, etc. The general criteria for stores like that are 1) A lot of rich people, 2) location seen by many eyes, 3) Cities with rich tourists, 4) A highly competitive and developed retail area.

Philadelphia does not check any of those boxes, (yes there are rich people, but there is also 25% poverty rate), and tourists don't visit Philadelphia to shop (nothing wrong with that, just making a point).

KoP checks 3 of the 4, possibly all 4 because that area does have a high amount of tourists/ visitors.

So no I don't ever see those types of stores entering the city, would it be great to have them: yes, necessary: no.

Personally I would prefer a Bloomingdales, Saks 5th Ave, or Neiman Marcus. Department stores hold a lot more weight IMO.

Old 01-01-2018, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Restoration Hardware would probably be on my wishlist if I lived in Center City.

As far as high-end retail I think brands/ designers along the lines of Hugo Boss, Ted Baker, Club Monaco (mens) John Varvatos, etc. would do well, because they cater to people who know style and also disposable income.

As far as Gucci, Prada, YSL, Hermes, etc. The general criteria for stores like that are 1) A lot of rich people, 2) location seen by many eyes, 3) Cities with rich tourists, 4) A highly competitive and developed retail area.

Philadelphia does not check any of those boxes, (yes there are rich people, but there is also 25% poverty rate), and tourists don't visit Philadelphia to shop (nothing wrong with that, just making a point).

KoP checks 3 of the 4, possibly all 4 because that area does have a high amount of tourists/ visitors.

So no I don't ever see those types of stores entering the city, would it be great to have them: yes, necessary: no.

Personally I would prefer a Bloomingdales, Saks 5th Ave, or Neiman Marcus. Department stores hold a lot more weight IMO.
Agreed. It would be nice to have one of them though... as you say. Who knows what might happen in time? When I was your age the city restaurant scene was in its infancy for instance. That obviously has changed quite a lot.

Old 01-02-2018, 06:08 AM

14,146 posts, read 9,038,713 times
Quote:
Funny thing is, we had a Gucci boutique in Center City for a while.

It was one of the original tenants of the Shops at the Bellevue when the old hotel was split into a three-part retail/office/hotel building in the early 1990s. It closed about six years or so after it opened.

Williams-Sonoma occupies its space now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia