Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2013, 10:09 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,759,909 times

Advertisements

Uniqlo looks like it will give a tremendous boost to Philadelphia's retail profile, considering no such stores -- current or future -- exist outside of greater New York or the San Francisco Bay area. That means Philadelphia will get a Uniqlo before Boston, Washington DC, Atlanta, Miami, Chicago, Dallas/Fort Worth, Houston, Los Angeles or Seattle.

Philadelphia already got the first IKEA in North America, so Uniqlo can be another feather in its cap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2013, 09:04 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,946,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Uniqlo looks like it will give a tremendous boost to Philadelphia's retail profile, considering no such stores -- current or future -- exist outside of greater New York or the San Francisco Bay area. That means Philadelphia will get a Uniqlo before Boston, Washington DC, Atlanta, Miami, Chicago, Dallas/Fort Worth, Houston, Los Angeles or Seattle.

Philadelphia already got the first IKEA in North America, so Uniqlo can be another feather in its cap.

They have announced 10 new store openings in the US, 11 with Philly all in NY, CA, NJ, CT and th one PA in Philly

Old 08-13-2013, 09:16 AM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,768,812 times
The new question now since Uniqlo will stay on Chestnut, I wonder what other retail is going to be present on that new building (which yet has nor started to be built) on Walnut and 15th?
We know Cheesecake Factory will be there, but I heard another retail will also fill the space.

Old 08-13-2013, 01:02 PM

7,271 posts, read 10,605,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
The new question now since Uniqlo will stay on Chestnut, I wonder what other retail is going to be present on that new building (which yet has nor started to be built) on Walnut and 15th?
We know Cheesecake Factory will be there, but I heard another retail will also fill the space.
Walnut Street is doing tremendously well in terms of low vacancy and reported interest. I don't imagine that project will have a hard time finding tenants to move in by the time it's completed, especially considering how few "blank slate" opportunities there are in Philly (as opposed to retrofits/remodels).

Old 08-13-2013, 01:15 PM

7,529 posts, read 10,265,606 times
Quote:
That building had been vacated of all tenants for about a year, and sits there empty without any activity. It seems a pretty pricey spot not to be earning money. I'm wondering if the plans are going forward or if the project has hit a snag.

Old 08-22-2013, 05:53 PM

Per Phil E Dillon of Philadelphia Chit Chat:
American Eagle Outfitters is going to occupy 1721 Chestnut Street; where Victoria Sceret used to be!
It is rumored to open in the Fall. So it will be the neighbor of the shoe store Camper! Camper had opened according to him. I have not checked yet!
WOW this is awesome! I hope it is right! Let's see what happens in the Fall!
Camper, Uniqlo and now American Eagle!
The days of going to KOP or Cherry Hill Mall will be long gone!

Old 08-23-2013, 05:33 AM

Default Joan Shepp New Location

OK Another news about retail.

Joan Shepp is also going to move finally. It is confirmed that they will stay on Walnut Street...and Broad Street.
It will occupy a part of Wells Fargo Building. I think this is where they have the "Wells Fargo museum".
They will officially move on Sept.
So now we see that the retail kinda spill to the other side of Broad Street! Scoop de Ville will be their neighbor.

Last edited by asiandudeyo; 08-23-2013 at 06:44 AM..

Old 08-23-2013, 06:48 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,347,531 times
Quote:
American Eagle Outfitters is going to occupy 1721 Chestnut Street; where Victoria Sceret used to be!
It is rumored to open in the Fall. So it will be the neighbor of the shoe store Camper! Camper had opened according to him. I have not checked yet!
As excited as I am about all of this new retail, Philadelphia still has a long way to go until it is on the level of KoP. I was there last week, and I did not remember seeing Camper open, maybe I missed it. I will be in that area tonight, I will check.

Old 08-23-2013, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
As excited as I am about all of this new retail, Philadelphia still has a long way to go until it is on the level of KoP. I was there last week, and I did not remember seeing Camper open, maybe I missed it. I will be in that area tonight, I will check.
That is correct. I am exaggerating it a bit; but one can always hope (that it's getting to that direction) right? It is always nice to just walk couple blocks to go shopping :P (for me at least).
Yeah take a picture! I will try to check it out tomorrow....and I will try to snap one or two pictures.

Old 08-24-2013, 10:12 AM

756 posts, read 2,118,407 times
Quote:
That's good that American Eagle Outfitters is coming to Center City. Not that I shop there, but it seems like a good mid-range store that's for those < 20 yo and not urban or an off-price store (like Ross, Marshalls, Burlington). GAP/Old Navy for years has been committed to downtowns, but many others haven't.

Once there is momentum, it shouldn't be long before the other mall chains for teens like PacSun, Hollister, Abercrombie, Forever 21, Charlotte Russe etc. consider Philly. Those teens that these chain's target want to live in downtown anyways, esp. when they reach the college years.

The one chain that doesn't open up in cities (including no presence in downtown Chicago, or NYC) is Kohl's. They are based in the midwest yet have no downtown Chicago store.

It needs it's arm twisted but hopefully in the next 5-10 years even Kohl's will be pressured to serve the downtown, when everyone else is there. This is also true with Kohl's avoiding NYC, Chicago and other cities' downtown. Considering it costs atleast $200+ to keep a car in the downtown, many city dwellers will not take long bus rides to just shop at Kohl's, so Kohl's will have to capture that lost business once all their competition is serving the cities.

Last edited by avg12; 08-24-2013 at 10:41 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia