Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2018, 02:27 PM

6,203 posts, read 3,541,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
What do you mean?
Not sure. Could be as small a difference as cleaning/spiffing up the storefronts of some of the older establishments (which I tend to gravitate to btw) so they don't seem so worn down compared to the more modern stores like Apple and H&M. I'm not a developer, so I have no idea AND I am really new here so obviously I haven't finished exploring. I do know the only thing I've bought on Walnut so far is my Ipad .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2018, 02:29 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,868,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
Not sure. Could be as small a difference as cleaning/spiffing up the storefronts of some of the older establishments (which I tend to gravitate to btw) so they don't seem so worn down compared to the more modern stores like Apple and H&M. I'm not a developer, so I have no idea AND I am really new here so obviously I haven't finished exploring. I do know the only thing I've bought on Walnut so far is my Ipad .
Got it. I find Walnut to be more uniform than most of the other streets in Center City. I tend to like the hodgepodge because it's interesting.

Old 08-03-2018, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Got it. I find Walnut to be more uniform than most of the other streets in Center City. I tend to like the hodgepodge because it's interesting.
Okay that's interesting. Of the two hodgepodges, I think I like Chestnut better

Old 08-05-2018, 09:26 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,749,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Looks like Polo Ralph Lauren is opening, and another Ulta. Glad to see some solid retailers joining the bunch.

As for the delay, I have no idea.... my guess would be funding or construction delays.
Delays sucks but it sounds like it will be worth it. The East Market complex will test the waters as a kind of preview.
I'm so happy about it all.

Old 08-05-2018, 09:38 AM

I was at 12th and Market yesterday and the huge digital billboards reminded me of Times Square. I'm not sure that's a good thing. Also, you can't tell yet that it's going to be a Wawa on that corner, but it is going to be big .

Old 08-05-2018, 09:57 AM

Quote:
As a newcomer, I find Walnut Street to be an odd hodgepodge and not all that inviting. Maybe this will be the kick in the pants landlords need to invest some thought (and money) into their properties.
Without a long harangue about how certain things evolved here's the short history.

Chestnut and Market were the primary retail corridors years ago. Market had all the department stores and Chestnut had smaller but upscale shops(e.g. Bonwit Teller, jewelry stores(Bailey, Banks and Biddle), shoe stores, locally owned dress shops(The Blum Store, Marianne's(God, the latter is one I really miss!), probably the largest Woolworth's in the area and movie theaters. There were also huge movie palaces on Market west of 15th.

On Walnut there were some very upscale stores like Nan Duskin(all designer wear) and fur stores like Jacques Ferber. But was not a go to place to shop.

The 70s were a wrecking ball for CC shopping because of the growth of suburban malls. The Gallery(the predecessor of the Fashion Dist. complex) was supposed to be a solution for that but..... Also the city was really starting to hemorrhage people. Plus as much as a reduction of vehicles in CC always sounds good, removing cars from Chestnut during the same time pretty much killed anyone's interest in shopping on Chestnut. Hence the switch to Walnut which was seeing a big upsweep centered on what became Restaurant Row(Le Bec Fin, etc).

When all of this was going on King of Prussia mall started to take off in the 80s. And it has never stopped. And it will continue to have an enormous impact on retail in the area.

As to what will happen on Walnut now only time will tell.

Old 08-05-2018, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Without a long harangue about how certain things evolved here's the short history.

Chestnut and Market were the primary retail corridors years ago. Market had all the department stores and Chestnut had smaller but upscale shops(e.g. Bonwit Teller, jewelry stores(Bailey, Banks and Biddle), shoe stores, locally owned dress shops(The Blum Store, Marianne's(God, the latter is one I really miss!), probably the largest Woolworth's in the area and movie theaters. There were also huge movie palaces on Market west of 15th.

On Walnut there were some very upscale stores like Nan Duskin(all designer wear) and fur stores like Jacques Ferber. But was not a go to place to shop.

The 70s were a wrecking ball for CC shopping because of the growth of suburban malls. The Gallery(the predecessor of the Fashion Dist. complex) was supposed to be a solution for that but..... Also the city was really starting to hemorrhage people. Plus as much as a reduction of vehicles in CC always sounds good, removing cars from Chestnut during the same time pretty much killed anyone's interest in shopping on Chestnut. Hence the switch to Walnut which was seeing a big upsweep centered on what became Restaurant Row(Le Bec Fin, etc).

When all of this was going on King of Prussia mall started to take off in the 80s. And it has never stopped. And it will continue to have an enormous impact on retail in the area.

As to what will happen on Walnut now only time will tell.
Interesting history and good explanation for the evolution. However, I finally made it to King of Prussia about a month ago and although it's super impressive as malls go, I just don't see how it can be responsible for the demise of retail in CC. For one thing, it's FAR! With regular traffic it's almost an hour, even by car which is how I got there. No train and although there's a bus, it takes forever and is highly inconvenient if you're loaded down with packages on the trip home.

I suppose if you live outside the "city", which for this I mark as roughly Manayunk/Germantown to South Philly/Packer Park, and West Philly to the Delaware river, then it becomes much more viable as an option. But for people who live within those boundaries, without access to a car, it's highly inconvenient, which is why I think the East Market development (Fashion District? Did we think of a new name yet?) is going to do well .

Oh. And Note to Self: do not go to RTM on a Saturday afternoon in the middle of August....

Old 08-05-2018, 10:13 AM

Quote:
If you have a moment try to search for some photos that could explain what you see.

Also perhaps keep in mind that, except for NOLA( you've lived there, right?)Philly may be the oldest place you have lived in that has had no major physical catastrophe. No fires. No earthquakes. No hurricanes that destroyed lots of property. We've had flooding but not like what, say, Houston has gotten. So lots of very old buildings many of which aren't suited for modern retail (lack enough sq footage).

NY, for example, had Sandy as a recent example of having to re-build stuff. Phila. was barely affected by Sandy.

Old 08-05-2018, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
If you have a moment try to search for some photos that could explain what you see.

Also perhaps keep in mind that, except for NOLA( you've lived there, right?)Philly may be the oldest place you have lived in that has had no major physical catastrophe. No fires. No earthquakes. No hurricanes that destroyed lots of property. We've had flooding but not like what, say, Houston has gotten. So lots of very old buildings many of which aren't suited for modern retail (lack enough sq footage).

NY, for example, had Sandy as a recent example of having to re-build stuff. Phila. was barely affected by Sandy.
It could also be as simple as just becoming accustomed to my new surroundings, too .

Old 08-05-2018, 02:03 PM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times
Quote:
Interesting history and good explanation for the evolution. However, I finally made it to King of Prussia about a month ago and although it's super impressive as malls go, I just don't see how it can be responsible for the demise of retail in CC. For one thing, it's FAR! With regular traffic it's almost an hour, even by car which is how I got there. No train and although there's a bus, it takes forever and is highly inconvenient if you're loaded down with packages on the trip home.

I suppose if you live outside the "city", which for this I mark as roughly Manayunk/Germantown to South Philly/Packer Park, and West Philly to the Delaware river, then it becomes much more viable as an option. But for people who live within those boundaries, without access to a car, it's highly inconvenient, which is why I think the East Market development (Fashion District? Did we think of a new name yet?) is going to do well .

Oh. And Note to Self: do not go to RTM on a Saturday afternoon in the middle of August....
The RTM has ads on Regional Rail celebrating its 125th anniversary as "Philly's original super market."

They have a box containing this information:

"Best times for locals to shop:

"8 am-11 am and 4 pm-6 pm"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia