Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2018, 07:22 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,811,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Thanks to the last 3 posters. I do see some overlap between the two in terms of drawing tourists (and locals) for delicious grub to be consumed on site. Here are two areas in which there will be no competition, however:

- RTM sells a lot of produce, meat and other foodstuffs locals buy to cook at home.
- The Bourse will (presumably?) be open in the evening, long after RTM locks its doors at 6 pm.
One thing to consider is that their locations, while not technically far, service a different crowd. I've stopped into the Bourse before, and the only reason I did was because RTM was just too far to go to support what I was doing. I think they will compliment each other nicely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2018, 09:14 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,162,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
One thing to consider is that their locations, while not technically far, service a different crowd. I've stopped into the Bourse before, and the only reason I did was because RTM was just too far to go to support what I was doing. I think they will compliment each other nicely.
Yea, I’m sorta convinced . . . to a point. But something to remember is that RTM is currently the most visited tourist attraction in the city, outdrawing even Independence NP: https://www.visitphilly.com/articles...-philadelphia/. It’s easy enough to envision a subset of Old City tourists who now trek to RTM for lunch instead choosing the Bourse. This isn’t a bad thing, but I do think it’s a thing.

I don’t think either will hamper the other’s success, however. The city is big enough to support both.

Old 08-12-2018, 08:41 AM

1,678 posts, read 934,636 times
I just hope it's not entirely tourist specific. The initial description when the announced it was to be similiar to the Chelsea market in NY.

If that's true, it'll be great. If it's basically a new looking food court, I'll be bummed.

Old 08-12-2018, 11:29 AM

13,881 posts, read 8,706,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
I just hope it's not entirely tourist specific. The initial description when the announced it was to be similiar to the Chelsea market in NY.

If that's true, it'll be great. If it's basically a new looking food court, I'll be bummed.
I don't recall a fresh-foods / farmer's-market component to the Bourse redo, at least not at the original presentation I attended.

There will be a "makerspace" aspect in that there will be specialty food producers selling direct (e.g., a craft distiller, a custom chocolatier), but you won't be able to, say, walk out of the Bourse with lettuce, kale and Jersey tomatoes in your shopping bag.

By the way, in case you haven't all figured this out yet, that's what makes the RTM such a draw with the out-of-towners. It's in the elite ranks of public markets - year-round, open-every-day bazaars of fresh food drawn from local (or nearby) sources. The visitors come to imbibe that ambiance as they order lunch or a snack and get in the way of the actual shoppers.

Its peers are Seattle's Pike Place Market (arguably the only public market in the country that outranks the RTM on this scale) and the famous Farmers Market at Third and Fairfax in Los Angeles. The City Market in my hometown of Kansas City falls into this category too but hasn't yet become a bona fide tourist draw.

I think the Bourse will be great, but it won't be that.

Old 08-12-2018, 08:58 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,627,443 times
Quote:
Yea, I’m sorta convinced . . . to a point. But something to remember is that RTM is currently the most visited tourist attraction in the city, outdrawing even Independence NP: https://www.visitphilly.com/articles...-philadelphia/. It’s easy enough to envision a subset of Old City tourists who now trek to RTM for lunch instead choosing the Bourse. This isn’t a bad thing, but I do think it’s a thing.

I don’t think either will hamper the other’s success, however. The city is big enough to support both.
Also let's continue knowing that locals are the ones who created RTM's revival, continue supporting it and will do so in the future. It's about us making it a success too. The tourists are a bonus.

The new Bourse is, obviously, an unknown right now but the city can certainly do both.

Old 08-13-2018, 08:36 AM

9,316 posts, read 9,141,671 times
Walnut Street shops near Rittenhouse Square bought by N.C.-based investor

I don't know if this means anything for the future, but we shall see.

Old 08-14-2018, 10:31 AM

4,693 posts, read 4,330,390 times
Quote:
We all like different things. I like the signs - they create a buzz. That area is really going to be vibrant once the FDP opens up.

Unrelated: Didn’t know City Winery will include a performance area for ticketed events. That’s great. I miss the Rrazz Room at the Prince Theatre. I am surprised they couldn’t make a go of it.
I just saw this on another site. City Winery is awesome. (only been to the one in NYC once- but highly recommend).

Old 08-15-2018, 10:15 AM

6,201 posts, read 3,485,956 times
So I’ve been driving around Bala Cynwyd / City Ave lately because my care dealership is up here and I needed to get recalls on my car resolved. Wondering who goes to Saks and Lord and Taylor? The area doesn’t seem large enough to support two huge stores like these and I noticed the parking lots are pretty empty. I may go to L&T when the car is done though. St. Joseph’s has a nice campus .

Old 08-15-2018, 12:17 PM

9,316 posts, read 9,141,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
So I’ve been driving around Bala Cynwyd / City Ave lately because my care dealership is up here and I needed to get recalls on my car resolved. Wondering who goes to Saks and Lord and Taylor? The area doesn’t seem large enough to support two huge stores like these and I noticed the parking lots are pretty empty. I may go to L&T when the car is done though. St. Joseph’s has a nice campus .
I am actually surprised that Lord & Taylor hasn't closed yet. That is the only Saks in the area and there are a lot of wealthy people who lived not too far from it, which is why it is still around.

Other posters can chime in, but I think Bala had a plan or becoming a more dense shopping districts decades ago, and that never really materialized.

I am glad those stores still there though, spreads the retail a bit rather than have it solely at KoP. But those stores could use some sprucing up.

Old 08-15-2018, 01:10 PM

6,201 posts, read 3,485,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I am actually surprised that Lord & Taylor hasn't closed yet. That is the only Saks in the area and there are a lot of wealthy people who lived not too far from it, which is why it is still around.

Other posters can chime in, but I think Bala had a plan or becoming a more dense shopping districts decades ago, and that never really materialized.

I am glad those stores still there though, spreads the retail a bit rather than have it solely at KoP. But those stores could use some sprucing up.
I’m in LT right now and it’s surprisingly busy. At least in the shoe dept 😀. There’s a lot of construction on Bala Ave. Guy at the dealership said they’re renovating that whole street so maybe there’s more to follow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia