Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2014, 03:51 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,655,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I agree with what your saying..however the difference between SoHo and here is that SoHo is filled with people who have a lot of money.

Retailers choose KoP and will probably continue to do so because KoP can support having that kind of caliber of retail.

Its great to see Philadelphia on the upswing, but an image of SoHo is probably a decade away.
Oh I definitely wasn't trying to suggest that Walnut Street would be like SoHo, even in a decade, or that it even should be. It won't. (Although it's worth noting that not all of Soho is fancy shopping. Broadway is mostly budget retailers.) It was just an easy example.

I was just saying that if it is to be a place where more major retailers choose to locate in the region instead of KoP, there are some physical things that need to happen to make Center City more competitive. Retailers simply need a certain amount of floor space to turn the types of profits that make relocation worthwhile. Retailers who are looking to open in the Philly area, and would probably prefer to locate in the city, often don't only because they can't find appropriate, easily convertable spaces.
But these particular developers have seen the potential, and have been doing the right things on Walnut Street to help it get there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2014, 08:30 AM

7,529 posts, read 10,266,897 times
Default A couple of interesting articles in today's Inky regarding the Gallery

Kmart closing: Gallery Kmart begins its long goodbye
Speculation on Gallery's future: The Gallery mall is ripe for rebirth

It will certainly be interesting to see which direction PREIT goes. It seems they are interested in going upscale if they can entice the right retailers to set up shop there (i.e., Bloomingdales and their caliber).

Old 02-10-2014, 08:54 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,655,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
Kmart closing: Gallery Kmart begins its long goodbye
Speculation on Gallery's future: The Gallery mall is ripe for rebirth

It will certainly be interesting to see which direction PREIT goes. It seems they are interested in going upscale if they can entice the right retailers to set up shop there (i.e., Bloomingdales and their caliber).
Given nationwide trends in retail, I think it may be more likely that we see it go high-end than anything else. That's the only retail sector doing well right now.

No comment on whether or not this is actually a good thing.

Retailers: high-end doing well, low-end cautious

Why Walmart is getting too expensive for the middle class | The Exchange - Yahoo Finance

Old 02-10-2014, 10:17 AM

7,529 posts, read 10,266,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
Given nationwide trends in retail, I think it may be more likely that we see it go high-end than anything else. That's the only retail sector doing well right now.

No comment on whether or not this is actually a good thing.

Retailers: high-end doing well, low-end cautious

Why Walmart is getting too expensive for the middle class | The Exchange - Yahoo Finance
In terms of prestige for the city, high-end would be a win. That said, I don't see myself spending a lot of money at a Bloomies or Nordstrom on a routine basis. Instead, I would love to see some mid-range retailers such as Target, Crate & Barrel, Container Store and Pottery Barn set up shop there. I think those retailers would also be a better fit for those moving to the gentrifying neighborhoods to the north.

Time will tell. It will be very interesting to see how things unfold in the coming months.

Old 02-10-2014, 01:17 PM

9,381 posts, read 9,349,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
In terms of prestige for the city, high-end would be a win. That said, I don't see myself spending a lot of money at a Bloomies or Nordstrom on a routine basis. Instead, I would love to see some mid-range retailers such as Target, Crate & Barrel, Container Store and Pottery Barn set up shop there. I think those retailers would also be a better fit for those moving to the gentrifying neighborhoods to the north.

Time will tell. It will be very interesting to see how things unfold in the coming months.
Bloomingdales would be do best along south Broad near the Kimmel Center and near where Dranoff is building another luxury condo high rise. Close to Rittenhouse and a busy street with more prestige. I would find it very unlikely for Bloomingdales to consider a spot in the Gallery, if they were hesitant about Cherry Hill Mall, which they lost to Nordstrom. Time will tell.

Old 02-10-2014, 06:54 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,042,276 times
still sad that K-Mart is leaving, damm

Old 02-10-2014, 07:24 PM

2,471 posts, read 4,020,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabottom View Post
still sad that K-Mart is leaving, damm
You might be the only person who holds this opinion

Old 02-10-2014, 07:36 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
You might be the only person who holds this opinion

It was my place to go to for bathroom items, underwear, and bedroom items. I can't believe it's over

Old 02-10-2014, 08:04 PM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,769,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabottom View Post
It was my place to go to for bathroom items, underwear, and bedroom items. I can't believe it's over
i agree. i am dissappointed Kmart is gone. It is very easy for me to walk there to get some cheap toiletries and containers within 7 minutes walking from my apartment.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:26 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
i agree. i am dissappointed Kmart is gone. It is very easy for me to walk there to get some cheap toiletries and containers within 7 minutes walking from my apartment.

I been going there since 2000
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia