Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2019, 11:05 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,627,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo1 View Post
I don't understand why people complain about security.
But yes, not only we have the mall security, the PDs and also some stores have their own security guard.

It is not KOP and it will never be. At least for now. Although once other companies see how successful these retailers are, things will change. Just like how KOP was. It is just the beginning of the dominoes effect.

They also installed a LED display panel at the corner facing the LED display at the corner of East Market. That makes the whole area bright and inviting. (There are also other LED displays in other locations but that particular one is the one I love the most).

Talking about the dominoes effect, we had already seen it in Lit Brothers Building. They installed an awesome retro "Lit Brothers" sign at the main entrance on Market Street with interactive LED walls that change very so often. This in my opinion somewhat attract the attention of the tourists and somewhat entertain them.

PS: are you back in NY, Mr. travelling? We still need to catch up.
The security concerns are valid although I, personally, don't have some of the issues that some folks do. Once upon a time I was a teenager and I had a lot of energy. The idea that Boomers during the 60s/70s were perfect angels is a lie so...

I agree with your view about KoP. Folks should try to remember that it started as cheap-ass, strip shopping center. So maybe we should withhold ideas about what the FD may turn into.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2019, 12:01 PM

13,880 posts, read 8,706,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
Amazing how Wawa ignores the issue entirely. The "doorman" at the Broad Street location is most hilarious example of Wawa's indifference.
That Wawa (Broad and Walnut) is the only one in the entire chain that's not open 24/7. (It's closed from 11 pm to 5 am.) That was one way the company dealt with the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
The food options are much better in the Bourse, imo, wrt attracting tourists or locals. Except for Tiffany's bakery, which I always liked, there's nothing in the FD, re food, to pull me in. Going to the RTM is better or, obviously, Chinatown.
I think that the options in the remaining food court are a little better than those in its prior incarnation, although a couple are holdovers. But I'd consider both Chickie's and Pete's and Pei Wei improvements over what they replaced. And, of course, everyone who's not boycotting the company over same-sex marriage loves Chick-fil-A (a transplant from the old eastern food court).

And, of course, the eastern food court got replaced by City Winery's performance space. There's also a bar facing the concourse on the train level that's not connected to the rest of the establishment; you can order light bites as well as wine, beer and cocktails there.

The food I had at City Winery was quite good. (It's basically pub fare, though.) So was the wine (they haven't yet started making it there but should soon).

Old 10-18-2019, 12:10 PM

9,314 posts, read 9,141,671 times
Quote:
Amazing how Wawa ignores the issue entirely. The "doorman" at the Broad Street location is most hilarious example of Wawa's indifference.
Yes, and for a "local" company their indifference toward these issues, and their own selfishness around the issue of planning a gas pump station on Delaware Ave near the river, solidifying that stretch as a vehicular hellscape.

I get is Wawa is a corporation, their goal is to make money, but they have a little more integrity with their aggressive expansion into Philadelphia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo1 View Post
I don't understand why people complain about security.
But yes, not only we have the mall security, the PDs and also some stores have their own security guard.

It is not KOP and it will never be. At least for now. Although once other companies see how successful these retailers are, things will change. Just like how KOP was. It is just the beginning of the dominoes effect.

They also installed a LED display panel at the corner facing the LED display at the corner of East Market. That makes the whole area bright and inviting. (There are also other LED displays in other locations but that particular one is the one I love the most).

Talking about the dominoes effect, we had already seen it in Lit Brothers Building. They installed an awesome retro "Lit Brothers" sign at the main entrance on Market Street with interactive LED walls that change very so often. This in my opinion somewhat attract the attention of the tourists and somewhat entertain them.

PS: are you back in NY, Mr. travelling? We still need to catch up.
Good to hear, and yes, my hope is that with time the energy will pick up, and phase 3 of the East Market development plan is ready to begin with the demolition of the parking garage at 12th and Chestnut. A huge cataylst for that area is adding thousands of residents (most of which are middle class and up).

I am back in New York most of the time for the next few weeks, no big trips until December and January.

Quote:
The food options are much better in the Bourse, imo, wrt attracting tourists or locals. Except for Tiffany's bakery, which I always liked, there's nothing in the FD, re food, to pull me in. Going to the RTM is better or, obviously, Chinatown.
Quote:
The security concerns are valid although I, personally, don't have some of the issues that some folks do. Once upon a time I was a teenager and I had a lot of energy. The idea that Boomers during the 60s/70s were perfect angels is a lie so...

I agree with your view about KoP. Folks should try to remember that it started as cheap-ass, strip shopping center. So maybe we should withhold ideas about what the FD may turn into.
The new City Winery is a nice spot though, the one in New York is nice, and way better than traditional mall fare like Chic Fil a (which I do not go to).

KoP had one of its biggest breakthroughs in the 90s when The Plaza had an overall / expansion and Neiman Marcus and Nordstrom joined the lineup, changing the mall from a regional attraction to a national luxury attraction. (I'm sure you already know this).

I don't think the Fashion District will ever get to that caliber for several reasons, but if it can continue to attract mid-tier stores combined with the other efforts along Market Street, it should stay a relative success.

Side note - Restoration Hardware is planning a new flagship store with an attached restaurant in the region, yet I was upset to hear they opted for King of Prussia (again) instead of Center City.

There are other concepts in New York, Chicago and LA, awesome that the Philadelphia market is their next target, but it would be so much more fun in the city.

And as you might know Barneys is closing their iconic New York flagship.

Old 10-18-2019, 01:28 PM

1,678 posts, read 934,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
That Wawa (Broad and Walnut) is the only one in the entire chain that's not open 24/7. (It's closed from 11 pm to 5 am.) That was one way the company dealt with the issue.

I mean, I feel like that was a "cover your arse" move more than it was a "dealing with the issue" move. They had repeated issues with violence in that store late night.

Old 10-18-2019, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post

I think that the options in the remaining food court are a little better than those in its prior incarnation, although a couple are holdovers. But I'd consider both Chickie's and Pete's and Pei Wei improvements over what they replaced. And, of course, everyone who's not boycotting the company over same-sex marriage loves Chick-fil-A (a transplant from the old eastern food court).

And, of course, the eastern food court got replaced by City Winery's performance space. There's also a bar facing the concourse on the train level that's not connected to the rest of the establishment; you can order light bites as well as wine, beer and cocktails there.

The food I had at City Winery was quite good. (It's basically pub fare, though.) So was the wine (they haven't yet started making it there but should soon).
Sure the City Winery and that bar are, or will be, fine additions for those who want that.

No more comments about Chick-fil-A. Don't start anything that will get another thread closed.

Old 10-18-2019, 02:55 PM

1,678 posts, read 934,636 times
Quote:
Sure the City Winery and that bar are, or will be, fine additions for those who want that.
Count me as one of those who would want that. That place is going to be awesome. Not only is it a super cool addition to Market East, but the line-up looks amazing.

I'm crazy excited about City Winery.

Old 10-18-2019, 04:32 PM

2,621 posts, read 3,378,646 times
It would be nice if a MICRO CENTER location (a national chain of computer and electronics department store-like superstores) had a location closer to the heart of the City of Philadelphia metro area . . . where people can walk to it or reach it easily by rapid transit train or streetcar (along with buses). Their one single location in the metro Philadelphia area is in St. Davids, PA (an unincorporated community in Radnor Township, Delaware County, PA -- in the Main Line suburbs). I'm sure they'd get many many more visitors and shoppers to patronize them if they located themselves in an area where everybody could more easily reach them at anytime . . . not just those who who have an automobile of whatever type at their avail to go trekking out to the western Main Line suburbs.

Old 10-18-2019, 05:55 PM

10,559 posts, read 11,944,726 times
Re the Wawa with the gas pumps.....I've been trying to just google some info on it.
So I guess there plans for two Wawa with gas....

1) at or near the current Wawa at Delaware near Tasker (there is already a gas station near there so technically Wawa might be just taking over and incorporating that operation.....and

2) at the Navy Yard (OK the old Navy Yard) -- near the 26th street entrance

As someone who drives and loves Wawa I think the plans are great. Sometimes I get the feeling that people don't realize that some people -- lots of people -- do drive in this city....despite the almost always empty set aside bike lanes that took away driving lanes.

Old 10-18-2019, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Count me as one of those who would want that. That place is going to be awesome. Not only is it a super cool addition to Market East, but the line-up looks amazing.

I'm crazy excited about City Winery.
I'm not into alcohol but it will suit those who are and be a big draw for tourists.

Old 10-18-2019, 10:31 PM

377 posts, read 662,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
2) at the Navy Yard (OK the old Navy Yard) -- near the 26th street entrance
When I read a comment like this, I like to always point out that the Navy still OWNS 9 parcels of land (160+ acres) and 49 buildings within the Navy Yard, as well as 108 underwater acres (for ship work). Lots of people don't realize that the Navy didn't actually abandon the entire Yard in 1996.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia