Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-24-2014, 09:36 AM
 
Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,769,524 times
Reputation: 2610

Advertisements

Well it depends. If this C21 has the same merchandise with the ones in Manhattan, it will be an upgrade than Burlington.
Plus if they make the interior (and in some extent the exterior) of the store attractive, I don't see why it won't spur a growth in the Gallery.

I personally think that it will attract clients from all over SEPA since C21 will be unique to only Center City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-24-2014, 09:46 AM
 
Location: Montgomery County, PA
1,339 posts, read 2,486,989 times
Reputation: 755
It's not clear - are they going into the K-Mart space or the Strawbridge and Clothier building?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2014, 10:08 AM
 
Location: Philadelphia
11,998 posts, read 12,944,919 times
Reputation: 8365
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
Well it depends. If this C21 has the same merchandise with the ones in Manhattan, it will be an upgrade than Burlington.
Plus if they make the interior (and in some extent the exterior) of the store attractive, I don't see why it won't spur a growth in the Gallery.

I personally think that it will attract clients from all over SEPA since C21 will be unique to only Center City.

Agreed. I don't get the comparisons to chains like Ross and Marshall, etc.

When I was living in The Bronx Century 21 seemed to be a destination of sorts for people in the NYC area. I see the same happening for the Philly location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2014, 10:27 AM
 
Location: New York City
9,381 posts, read 9,349,798 times
Reputation: 6515
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
Well it depends. If this C21 has the same merchandise with the ones in Manhattan, it will be an upgrade than Burlington.
Plus if they make the interior (and in some extent the exterior) of the store attractive, I don't see why it won't spur a growth in the Gallery.

I personally think that it will attract clients from all over SEPA since C21 will be unique to only Center City.
Not trying to be negative, but no moderate to well off suburbanite is going to trek into center city to shop at Century 21. A 5 floor Bloomingdales department store yes, Century 21 no.

In recent years more suburbanites have come into center city for shopping and dining, but I do no think this addition will draw people from all over the area. More or less the same people who currently shop at the gallery will shop at the new century 21. Obviously this is a step up from the current anchors, but not groundbreaking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2014, 11:23 AM
 
802 posts, read 1,322,080 times
Reputation: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Not trying to be negative, but no moderate to well off suburbanite is going to trek into center city to shop at Century 21. A 5 floor Bloomingdales department store yes, Century 21 no.

In recent years more suburbanites have come into center city for shopping and dining, but I do no think this addition will draw people from all over the area. More or less the same people who currently shop at the gallery will shop at the new century 21. Obviously this is a step up from the current anchors, but not groundbreaking.
While C21 is better than nothing, I agree, it won't attract the demographics you mention above. Also, I doubt if city residents in some neighborhoods in the Northeast and Northwest will go. I prefer to shop local whenever possible. However when I do need to go to a mall it's usually Plymouth Meeting, Willow Grove or a shopping center like the Metroplex or the one in Andorra.

I really do hope that I am wrong and that C21 draws a better class of retailers and customers to The Gallery. I definitely will be checking the store out once it is open for business, just to see what they have to offer. Who knows. It could wind up as one of my favorite places to shop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2014, 11:40 AM
 
Location: Montgomery County, PA
1,339 posts, read 2,486,989 times
Reputation: 755
Century 21 is a large tourist destination in NYC so i don't see why it wouldn't be in Philly. It's nothing like Ross or Marshall. Sure, I'd rather have a huge Bloomingdale's too, but downtown department stores of that size are basically dead, outside of NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2014, 11:40 AM
 
Location: The City
22,378 posts, read 38,951,203 times
Reputation: 7976
I think C21 will attract many actually - People from these part make the trip to NYC or at least make a point to shop there when in NYC today

IMHO this will attract new folks to ME
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2014, 02:38 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
175 posts, read 288,334 times
Reputation: 224
Century 21 is a big deal in NYC. We dont have one in Los Angeles and whenever i go to manhattan i take a trip there. If there were one in the gallery i would for sure go there. It is NOTHING like Ross or Marshals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2014, 02:44 PM
 
Location: Cumberland County, NJ
8,632 posts, read 13,008,374 times
Reputation: 5766
Quote:
Originally Posted by stylistvg View Post
Century 21 is a big deal in NYC. We dont have one in Los Angeles and whenever i go to manhattan i take a trip there. If there were one in the gallery i would for sure go there. It is NOTHING like Ross or Marshals.
I know this may sound a little bit out there but maybe Philly could try and convince the Kardashian sisters to open up one of their "DASH" boutique stores at the Gallery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2014, 02:49 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
175 posts, read 288,334 times
Reputation: 224
lols...my boyfriend works for the clothing company that makes all the Kardashian clothes. Trust me...they dont know Philly exists....and thats GOOD thing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top