Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2020, 10:38 AM

1,210 posts, read 938,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
What?? What is going on? If a Pet Store can't make it, what can? I get it retail is not doing well, but something isn't making sense with a few of these closures.
It's all just symptomatic of how easy it is to get delivery right to one's door. I have a dog. Why would I, after a long day at work, take public transportation to Walnut Street (most folks do not live right in CC), hope to find what I want/need for my dog, and probably pay true retail; when I can instead go online and have exactly what I want, and probably for a reduced price, on my doorstep tomorrow?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2020, 11:14 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,156,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
Such high rents may be feasible for national retailers, luxury stores, banks or cellphone companies, Sevilla said. But they’re likely “too aggressive” for many smaller, locally owned, “cool” retailers that can help turn a shopping district into a destination, he added."
This is one of the more upsetting things. It's the epitome of the cliché, 'wherever you go, there you are.' It'll get to the point where you could be blindfolded and dropped in the middle of another city and you won't have any idea that you're not in your home city. Every street looks the same, lined with same big chain stores. B-O-R-I-N-G!!!!!!

Old 02-25-2020, 12:17 PM

7,246 posts, read 10,486,692 times
It seems like every major city will have to start accepting the fact that retail "high streets" lined only with exclusive/upscale boutiques might be becoming an artifact, and that might not necessarily be a bad thing. And I couldn't agree more that chain-only retail districts couldn't be any less appealing for creating a unique and interesting neighborhood.

In the short term, recent closures are certainly impacting vibrancy, but the silver lining is that it will put less pressure on rents, and by extension, less of a burden on locally-owned businesses.

Walnut Street is once again going through an evolution, but isn't that just life in any city? Philadelphia is obviously no stranger to reinvention, and I have pretty strong feeling that Walnut will persevere just fine in the end.

Old 02-25-2020, 12:58 PM

9,334 posts, read 9,191,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsport View Post
It's all just symptomatic of how easy it is to get delivery right to one's door. I have a dog. Why would I, after a long day at work, take public transportation to Walnut Street (most folks do not live right in CC), hope to find what I want/need for my dog, and probably pay true retail; when I can instead go online and have exactly what I want, and probably for a reduced price, on my doorstep tomorrow?
I get the logic, it still doesn't make much sense that Petsmart why it wouldn't do well in Center City, even with online delivery services. I could see a fancy clothing or furniture store closing, but a Petsmart is like a Target closing.

Old 02-25-2020, 01:13 PM

7,730 posts, read 5,442,428 times
Quote:
I get the logic, it still doesn't make much sense that Petsmart why it wouldn't do well in Center City, even with online delivery services. I could see a fancy clothing or furniture store closing, but a Petsmart is like a Target closing.

I mean they just opened a much larger Petsmart about a mile away at Broad and Washington. There are 3 unleashed by Petco in the Center City area, along with 5 doggie style pet stores which is a local chain. Nothing suggests that Petsmart wasn't busy either. No one is hurting to find pet supplies.

Last edited by thedirtypirate; 02-25-2020 at 01:46 PM..

Old 02-25-2020, 01:16 PM

1,210 posts, read 938,960 times
Quote:
I think you're underestimating how many pet owners get everything delivered online. Pet owners would rather they themselves run out of specialized food or medicine than their pets. Pretty much everything from toys, food, medicine, clothes, booties are ordered online. The last thing my wife and I got offline for our dog was a sweater at Doggie Style in Passyunk Square, simply and only, because we were walking by it killing time and saw some dogs in the window we wanted to check out. Once my wife walks in a retail store - literally any retail store - there is zero change of leaving without purchasing something.

So even if there was decent foot traffic, but that traffic decreased say 40% from a decade ago due to improved online options and shipping, it's still difficult to pay the CC rent prices.

Old 02-25-2020, 01:34 PM

1,680 posts, read 944,465 times
That Pet Smart was ALWAYS busy.

Old 02-25-2020, 01:56 PM

333 posts, read 278,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsport View Post
A big problem with package delivery for city residents is that anything left on your doorstep gets stolen.

We live in South Philly, and have had multiple packages stolen, as has literally every single one of our neighbors. So we're at a point where I can't confidently order a single thing unless I can have something sent to an Amazon locker or a friend or family members (all of which require me to leave the house and drive somewhere, thereby defeating the point of home delivery).

So in theory you're right, but in practice the reality of home delivery doesn't really exist for a lot of people in the city, so good local retail still definitely has a place.

Old 02-25-2020, 02:12 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,185,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
Looks like the Chestnut Modell's isn't closing...
Saw that: https://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/20...sure-reversed/. Seems they would have vetted all their due diligence before id’ing the 24 stores to close. Makes me feel they are restructuring on the fly. Anyhow, that’s one storefront that won’t sit empty, at least in the near term.

I wouldn’t underestimate the impact that the Fashion District is having on Walnut Street. I’m not terribly enamored with it (maybe it will grow on me?), but it seems tenants are being announced there at about the same pace as Walnut closings are taking place.

Old 02-25-2020, 02:57 PM

13,945 posts, read 8,793,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireshaker View Post
A big problem with package delivery for city residents is that anything left on your doorstep gets stolen.

We live in South Philly, and have had multiple packages stolen, as has literally every single one of our neighbors. So we're at a point where I can't confidently order a single thing unless I can have something sent to an Amazon locker or a friend or family members (all of which require me to leave the house and drive somewhere, thereby defeating the point of home delivery).

So in theory you're right, but in practice the reality of home delivery doesn't really exist for a lot of people in the city, so good local retail still definitely has a place.
Here's the funny thing: I live in a "high crime" neighborhood and have yet to have a package swiped from in between my storm door and the front door.

I still have certain items delivered to my office instead, but this seems to jibe with some other anecdotal evidence I've gotten about how property theft, from porches or cars, is pretty rare here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia