Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-15-2014, 11:26 AM
 
Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,769,524 times
Reputation: 2610

Advertisements

I heard that GAP outlet on Chestnut is closing though? Any news on that?
While we gain BR outlet, we lose GAP outlet? What a disappointment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-15-2014, 11:31 AM
 
Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,769,524 times
Reputation: 2610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Coming to Broad Street near South Street in 2015:

BIG GAY ICE CREAM

It started out as used Mr. Softee Ice Cream Truck cruising the streets of New York's Greenwich Village and Chelsea a few years ago, but was so popular the partners who started "Big Gay Ice Cream" opened their first shop in Manhattan, and then a second one. Their logo is an ice cream cone with the ice cream in striped rainbow colors. Now the partners who started this business are opening shop next year in Philly and also in LA. They are known for their homemade seasonal flavors.
They said they would opened quite some time ago. I am glad that this will finally become a realization. They will still occupy the bottom space of Southstar Loft, yes?

Also any news when F21 will open? They are slated to open End of Dec / Jan 2015 last time I heard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2014, 07:27 AM
 
1,102 posts, read 1,861,595 times
Reputation: 1141
Pennsylvania Real Estate Investment Trust and its development partner, Macerich, are at the beginning stages of preparing the Gallery for a massive overhaul. Macerich operates properties under the "Fashion Outlets" moniker in Chicago and Niagara Falls, N.Y. Outlet stores from high-end retailers including Bloomingdales, Barney's, Banana Republic, Guess, J. Crew and others have stores in those centers.

Fashion outlets to the Gallery? - Philadelphia Business Journal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2014, 07:56 AM
 
10,787 posts, read 8,767,494 times
Reputation: 3984
Quote:
Originally Posted by nifear View Post
Pennsylvania Real Estate Investment Trust and its development partner, Macerich, are at the beginning stages of preparing the Gallery for a massive overhaul. Macerich operates properties under the "Fashion Outlets" moniker in Chicago and Niagara Falls, N.Y. Outlet stores from high-end retailers including Bloomingdales, Barney's, Banana Republic, Guess, J. Crew and others have stores in those centers.

Fashion outlets to the Gallery? - Philadelphia Business Journal
Sounds like they aim to complement Century21. Makes sense to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2014, 08:35 AM
 
Location: New York City
9,381 posts, read 9,349,798 times
Reputation: 6515
Quote:
Originally Posted by nifear View Post
Pennsylvania Real Estate Investment Trust and its development partner, Macerich, are at the beginning stages of preparing the Gallery for a massive overhaul. Macerich operates properties under the "Fashion Outlets" moniker in Chicago and Niagara Falls, N.Y. Outlet stores from high-end retailers including Bloomingdales, Barney's, Banana Republic, Guess, J. Crew and others have stores in those centers.

Fashion outlets to the Gallery? - Philadelphia Business Journal

An improvement, not to be pessimistic, but this sounds like a new Franklin Mills (Philadelphia Mills), which I do not see transforming the Gallery, just based on history and the clientele you typically see at Franklin Mills.

Center City needs to follow in the shadow of King of Prussia not Franklin Mills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2014, 10:52 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista
2,471 posts, read 4,020,976 times
Reputation: 2212
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
An improvement, not to be pessimistic, but this sounds like a new Franklin Mills (Philadelphia Mills), which I do not see transforming the Gallery, just based on history and the clientele you typically see at Franklin Mills.

Center City needs to follow in the shadow of King of Prussia not Franklin Mills.
Ugh. I totally disagree with you. Center City should not be taking cues from either place. What would be the point in trying to turn the Gallery into a mini version of King of Prussia? Just a few blocks away Walnut St already has a huge head start in bringing high end shopping to an center city. If high end retailers are entering the Philadelphia market, most would never choose the Gallery over Walnut st.

The success or failure of the Gallery has hardly anything to do with the types of stores they bring in or the clientele that frequent them and everything to do with their ability to transform an architectural disaster of 1970s urban planning with a backwards suburban auto-centric mindset.

If surburbanites want to drive their cars to a high end shopping mall, they're still not driving downtown to the gallery no matter what stores are there.

Trying to be something it isn't and attempting to cater to people who want nothing to do with it anyway, is exactly how center city got into trouble in the first place. The Gallery should take advantage of it's unique circumstances such as being on top of a public transit hub and surrounded by tourists and become a forward thinking urban destination that caters to the populous diverse crowd that travels through the area everyday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2014, 11:22 AM
 
Location: Boston Metrowest (via the Philly area)
7,271 posts, read 10,607,615 times
Reputation: 8823
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
Trying to be something it isn't and attempting to cater to people who want nothing to do with it anyway, is exactly how center city got into trouble in the first place. The Gallery should take advantage of it's unique circumstances such as being on top of a public transit hub and surrounded by tourists and become a forward thinking urban destination that caters to the populous diverse crowd that travels through the area everyday.
Well said. I agree completely. It really does come down to inherent design issues much more than store types.

And yes, expecting a brand new mall full of King of Prussia or Walnut Street type stores would be completely unrealistic. Not to mention, outlet stores are something that appeal to a broad cross-section of the consumer market (even affluent
people like to save money).

Even San Francisco, a city noted for its plethora of high-end shopping, is planning a similar "urban outlet" by the same developer of the Gallery (Maserich):

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/articl...or-5897403.php

If executed well, I think Market Street (including the Gallery reconstruction, the new Market East project and whatever presumably mixed-use project is proposed for 8th and Market) is finally shaping up to be a great new shopping corridor for the city with more vibrancy than it's had in decades.

Last edited by Duderino; 12-16-2014 at 11:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2014, 03:20 PM
 
Location: back in Philadelphia!
3,264 posts, read 5,655,636 times
Reputation: 2146
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Since the Friends of the Boyd website hasn't been updated with any news since last Spring that's a good question.

PlanPhilly | iPic expects to move forward soon on renovation of the Boyd

Apparently not so much has happened since they got their demolition permit.

I continue to think that the Pearl/iPic folks are shady, and haven't even attempted to demonstrate why the amazing auditorium could not be divided & re-purposed for a different use without completely demolishing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2014, 05:50 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista
2,471 posts, read 4,020,976 times
Reputation: 2212
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
PlanPhilly | iPic expects to move forward soon on renovation of the Boyd

Apparently not so much has happened since they got their demolition permit.

I continue to think that the Pearl/iPic folks are shady, and haven't even attempted to demonstrate why the amazing auditorium could not be divided & re-purposed for a different use without completely demolishing it.
I don't believe pearl was involved until very recently when they bought the theater. Inga has a column today where she suggests the theater could still be preserved if pearl chooses to. They apparently purchased the Boyd primarily to increase the area of property they have there which drastically changes the density equation for their proposed tower on the corner there. Excitingly, Inga says that tower can now be built by right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2014, 07:51 AM
 
Location: back in Philadelphia!
3,264 posts, read 5,655,636 times
Reputation: 2146
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
I don't believe pearl was involved until very recently when they bought the theater. Inga has a column today where she suggests the theater could still be preserved if pearl chooses to. They apparently purchased the Boyd primarily to increase the area of property they have there which drastically changes the density equation for their proposed tower on the corner there. Excitingly, Inga says that tower can now be built by right.
I thought they already tore apart the auditorium as soon as they got and pulled the demolition permit (that was idiotically approved before an actual plan for the theatre itself was approved).
Thanks for the heads up on the new inga column.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top