Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2021, 07:48 AM

403 posts, read 295,513 times

Advertisements

Wow, I just saw today that an H Mart opened in Philadelphia's Olney neighborhood.

I always have been aware that Olney is Philadelphia's "Koreatown", but the Elkins Park H Mart (which has been located there for years) I assumed was close enough to Olney to serve that area, so it is impressive there are two locations only about 2 miles from each other.

I am assuming the Elkins Park location serves a large portion of the Asian population located in Abington Twp.

Anyone else have any assumptions on the two markets being located so close to each other?

It is impressive to say that the Philadelphia region now has 5 H Marts in total.

Last edited by Penna76; 02-22-2021 at 07:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2021, 10:15 AM

14,147 posts, read 9,043,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penna76 View Post
Wow, I just saw today that an H Mart opened in Philadelphia's Olney neighborhood.

I always have been aware that Olney is Philadelphia's "Koreatown", but the Elkins Park H Mart (which has been located there for years) I assumed was close enough to Olney to serve that area, so it is impressive there are two locations only about 2 miles from each other.

I am assuming the Elkins Park location serves a large portion of the Asian population located in Abington Twp.

Anyone else have any assumptions on the two markets being located so close to each other?

It is impressive to say that the Philadelphia region now has 5 H Marts in total.
I went there on opening weekend in October. (It's a 15-minute ride on the K bus from my East Germantown home.)

It's bigger than the Elkins Park store, and it has a food court.

It finally put to use a former Super Fresh supermarket that had sat vacant ever since that chain closed down when parent A&P went out of business for good in 2015.

Old 02-22-2021, 10:21 AM

403 posts, read 295,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I went there on opening weekend in October. (It's a 15-minute ride on the K bus from my East Germantown home.)

It's bigger than the Elkins Park store, and it has a food court.

It finally put to use a former Super Fresh supermarket that had sat vacant ever since that chain closed down when parent A&P went out of business for good in 2015.

Very nice, do you have any speculation why they opened so close to the Elkins Park location?

I looked at the photos and it looks very nice online, but it is only 2 miles from the Elkins Park H Mart. (I googled it).

Which typically speciality stores are operated in numerous locations, but not that close to one another. I did read from reviews online though that the Olney location also has a notable Latin food selection.

I am aware that Olney is the "koreatown" of Philadelphia, but I just was surprised that the two stores are only two miles from one another.

Old 02-22-2021, 10:45 AM

14,147 posts, read 9,043,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penna76 View Post
Very nice, do you have any speculation why they opened so close to the Elkins Park location?

I looked at the photos and it looks very nice online, but it is only 2 miles from the Elkins Park H Mart. (I googled it).

Which typically speciality stores are operated in numerous locations, but not that close to one another. I did read from reviews online though that the Olney location also has a notable Latin food selection.

I am aware that Olney is the "koreatown" of Philadelphia, but I just was surprised that the two stores are only two miles from one another.
Well, I do know that while Hmart is clearly (and proudly) Korean, the founder wanted to establish a Korean supermarket that would appeal to Americans across the ethnic spectrum. This location is also more convenient to heavily Black Logan, Hispanic Feltonville, and Crescentville, as well as parts of the Lower Northeast where you will find scattered Asian residents. (Affluent Black East Oak Lane is in between the two stores, and its residents could shop at either one.)

I think I may actually be closer as the crow flies to the Elkins Park store. But I'd have to change buses to get there, while this store is a one-seat ride for me. I've definitely been there far more times already than I'd ever been to Elkins Park.

Old 03-02-2021, 11:32 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,310,407 times
Any ideas why Lacoste closed both its Center City and King of Prussia locations?

I know it was struggling a bit financially, but I am a bit shocked it is no longer at King of Prussia.

Their only location in Pennsylvania is at the Ross Park Mall just outside Pittsburgh.

Old 03-02-2021, 03:20 PM

9,377 posts, read 9,323,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
Any ideas why Lacoste closed both its Center City and King of Prussia locations?

I know it was struggling a bit financially, but I am a bit shocked it is no longer at King of Prussia.

Their only location in Pennsylvania is at the Ross Park Mall just outside Pittsburgh.
Mostly an irrelevant brand these days, not shocked they closed in general since Macys carries their stuff.

Old 03-03-2021, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Mostly an irrelevant brand these days, not shocked they closed in general since Macys carries their stuff.
Eh, I would disagree it is irrelevant. It is more elevated than Polo Ralph Lauren.

Lacoste is nicer than Cole Haan and Ralph Lauren imo (which Cole Haan and Ralph Lauren closed their Walnut St. stores this past year.)

Walnut St. has almost no exclusive retailers. From what I have heard the Theory and Vince and Rag & Bone will be closing this year.

Ralph Lauren is not as elevated and found in a TJ MAxx. Lacoste is not really found in discount stores.

Lacoste has many locations throughout the US;

Again Lacoste only Pennsylvania location is in Pittsburgh (home to some sizable old money) , but not Philadelphia. The Macy's in Center City no longer has a Lacoste department (I don't know about the KOP location, but I do not think they do either).

LaCoste definitely is odd to close their Philadelphia locations and IMO it most definitely is a nicer version of Ralph Lauren.

Philadelphia retail is in chaos. IMO. I think another 5 stores will close on Walnut before summer. (Theory, Rag & Bone, Scotch & Soda, Vince, Barbour).

H & M on Walnut and Zara even closed in Philadelphia.

And I have to be frank the "New Gallery" is nothing but a teen mall with no attraction with people to spend money. It is so sad.

Did not someone get shot in the Franklin Mills mall just a few weeks ago.

I think the Philadelphia leadership across the board is just so bad right now on all levels.

Last edited by rowhomecity; 03-03-2021 at 12:25 AM..

Old 03-03-2021, 11:45 AM

1,697 posts, read 970,166 times
Do we think this will come back or has the composition in Philly retail so changed that it's lost forever?

Old 03-03-2021, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
Do we think this will come back or has the composition in Philly retail so changed that it's lost forever?

There was so much momentum in Philadelphia and its retail was struggling Pre Covid so it is hard to tell and it was mostly due to landlords charging crazy rents.

I can say the "New Gallery" is a total wash and lackluster.

And the fact even Cole Haan and Zara closed its doors in center city is also not a good sign.

King of Prussia is doing well though. I kind of wish they would of went the premium hotel and spa route instead of the office building route with the old Lord and Taylor space though.

King of Prussia is close enough to enough elite corporations, The Main Line and tourist attractions like Valley Forge to be able to sustain a top tier hotel.

Last edited by rowhomecity; 03-03-2021 at 12:13 PM..

Old 03-03-2021, 06:00 PM

9,377 posts, read 9,323,920 times
Quote:
Eh, I would disagree it is irrelevant. It is more elevated than Polo Ralph Lauren.

Lacoste is nicer than Cole Haan and Ralph Lauren imo (which Cole Haan and Ralph Lauren closed their Walnut St. stores this past year.)

Walnut St. has almost no exclusive retailers. From what I have heard the Theory and Vince and Rag & Bone will be closing this year.

Ralph Lauren is not as elevated and found in a TJ MAxx. Lacoste is not really found in discount stores.

Lacoste has many locations throughout the US;

Again Lacoste only Pennsylvania location is in Pittsburgh (home to some sizable old money) , but not Philadelphia. The Macy's in Center City no longer has a Lacoste department (I don't know about the KOP location, but I do not think they do either).

LaCoste definitely is odd to close their Philadelphia locations and IMO it most definitely is a nicer version of Ralph Lauren.

Philadelphia retail is in chaos. IMO. I think another 5 stores will close on Walnut before summer. (Theory, Rag & Bone, Scotch & Soda, Vince, Barbour).

H & M on Walnut and Zara even closed in Philadelphia.

And I have to be frank the "New Gallery" is nothing but a teen mall with no attraction with people to spend money. It is so sad.

Did not someone get shot in the Franklin Mills mall just a few weeks ago.

I think the Philadelphia leadership across the board is just so bad right now on all levels.
Eh, Lacoste is a brand past its time, it may be a step up from Polo Ralph Lauren, but it doesn't have that American mainstay momentum to keep it going even if its middle of the road (Polo, Tommy Hilfiger, Calvin Klein). So this may be a circumstance in which a closure is not necessarily a symptom of a poor market.

Beyond that, the only true higher-end national retailers left in Philadelphia are Theory, Vince, and Rag & Bone, and if they close, eek...

I am still shocked Zara left CC, that I don't understand...The Gallery has a few decent options (Nike, Kate Spade), but its a C+ from a retail perspective, entertainment and food options are solid. Adding more experiential elements like a Lego World, American Girl store or Crayola World would certainly help get more people in (and likely a better crowd). Any hopes for a true shopping destination are gone.

Franklin Mills is kinda ghetto (IMO).

Philadelphia leadership is bad, and while struggling retail has other facets, bad leadership doesn't help either.

Sidenote, someone in the skyscraper group said they wish for a Restoration Hardware flagship with the restaurant (found in NYC and Chicago) to open at 15th & Walnut in the old LA Fitness space. That would be amazing, but likely won't happen either.

Quote:
There was so much momentum in Philadelphia and its retail was struggling Pre Covid so it is hard to tell and it was mostly due to landlords charging crazy rents.

I can say the "New Gallery" is a total wash and lackluster.

And the fact even Cole Haan and Zara closed its doors in center city is also not a good sign.

King of Prussia is doing well though. I kind of wish they would of went the premium hotel and spa route instead of the office building route with the old Lord and Taylor space though.

King of Prussia is close enough to enough elite corporations, The Main Line and tourist attractions like Valley Forge to be able to sustain a top tier hotel.

I thought a hotel was in the works at the old JCPenney space? I would like to see a high-end hotel open in that area, it can definitely support it. It works in Tysons, it will work in KoP.

I still have a feeling Saks may relocate one day. I think KoP will enter another retail boom period once Covid dies down, similar to what happened in 2016 when the new wing opened.

My other wish for KoP is to somehow integrate the Village at Valley Forge with the mall, but that would require burying, dismantling or rerouting highways, so not in our lifetime.

Last edited by cpomp; 03-03-2021 at 06:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia