Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2021, 03:14 PM

1,680 posts, read 944,465 times

Advertisements

I mean.... don't be crappin on my egg mcmuffin, now.

I haven't eaten a single thing from MCDs except that for a good 20 years. But those are da bomb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2021, 03:33 PM

744 posts, read 766,340 times
Wow I didn't know about Dig opening in center. It is right up my alley so I will have to give it a shot. I can't say that I am upset about fast food places closing. Philadelphia fast food is especially gross for some reason. Did the McDonalds across from the MSB building also close? We still have a good amount of inexpensive food though. There are food courts at Liberty Place, Comcast Building, Fashion District, and the Bourse, and Chinatown Square. There is also the Bellevue food court but it is pretty gross (though not more gross than the average mcdonalds). All of this is in addition to reading terminal market. Thats pretty good IMO. Would love more pizza slice options in general though.

Old 03-17-2021, 08:16 PM

9,334 posts, read 9,191,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
These Starbucks are still open or have reopened:

3d and Arch
8th and Walnut
10th and Chestnut
12th and Walnut
1200 block Market, in the Marriott
13th and Chestnut, in Macy's (closed and reopened)
16th and Walnut

I don't know whether 15th and Arch (in the Phoenix) is still open, or 18th and Market (Ten Penn Center). 19th and Chestnut closed before the pandemic hit.

The Starbucks at Broad and Walnut, in The Bellevue; Broad and Pine, and 15th and Latimer all have closed and not reopened.

Wawa's expansion also took place before COVID. The Broad and Walnut Wawa, however, has closed for good (that location had a real crime/vagrancy problem). I'm guessing the University of the Arts will expand its dining hall next door into the space once conditions warrant it.

You do know about the two Center City Primo's Hoagies locations (3rd and Market and 11th between Sansom and Walnut), right? Or the Old Nelson Food Company locations that (AFAIK) all remain open (7th and Chestnut, 13th above Chestnut, 19th and Chestnut)? If you're in the area of that last Old Nelson, there's a very good deli with takeout beer on 20th below Chestnut called Monde Market.

Yeah, the cheap-eats universe has shrunk since the onset of the pandemic, just like the restaurant universe has shrunk. But options remain. (Center City has never had too many $1-slice-of-pizza places; one of my favorites, Rosa's (the "pay it forward" pizzeria), closed before the pandemic hit.) But options remain. Maybe the latest round of stimulus will stabilize things.
The Starbucks at 18th & Market is open. The one in The Phoenix is still closed (says temporarily). And there is one coming soon in the new Giant at Riverwalk.

Primos is very yummy too, and there is another location at 21st & Chestnut.

I think various eats (and hopefully) delis in Center City will recover and grow as we exit the pandemic.

Last edited by cpomp; 03-17-2021 at 08:35 PM..

Old 03-17-2021, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
And as a COMPLETE hyperbole from my discussion on Center City inexpensive food variety. And as new Philadelphia retail news.

This new Di Bruno's opening on The Main Line this week looks absolutely fantastic!

https://savvymainline.com/2020/12/10...ts-plus-nifty/

It is like a mix of Eataly and the old Dean & Deluca markets. (Dean & Deluca has gone out of business completely).

It should be a great success. I honestly will take the train out to Wayne to see it for myself!
That looks amazing. I drove by not too long ago when I was in the region and it was really coming along. A great new asset to The Main Line.

And regarding your other posts, I don't think it will be doom and gloom for too long. We are in the early stages of exiting the pandemic and I expect an increase in re-openings and new openings of food options at all price points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KansastoSouthphilly View Post
Wow I didn't know about Dig opening in center.
Dig is very good. I hope they expand more into Philadelphia as we exit the pandemic.

Old 04-22-2021, 03:28 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,267,591 times
Things I have recently noted with retail in the metro:

1) The Philadelphia Sports Store closed recently on 17/Chestnut that was just a few store fronts away from Di Bruno Bros.

This was really one of the few Philadelphia themed sports apparel stores left in Center City with reasonable prices on a variety of products. It is actually unfortunate.

There are two Philadelphia themed sports stores in Wash Sq West... but the one focuses on quirky vintage graphics and the other is high end (Mitchell & Sons).... I am actually sad to see my go to Philadelphia apparel store closed..

And with Modell's closed. There literally is nowhere to buy athletic wear, athletic equipment or sports theme items in Center City. Kind of crazy to think since this is a huge void in the market..

I wonder if Dick's would opt to open a store in Center City??

2) I have heard that Steve Madden on Walnut is closing... I am not sure if they will move to Chestnut where rents are a bit less expensive??

3) King of Prussia Mall is humming along well and is quickly filling vacant space from the Pandemic. New retailers expected to open soon there include:

Blue Nile - Mid Price Point Jewelry chain that seems to be the "Warby Parker" of engagement rings....

Bonchon - Famed Korean Fried Chicken Mini Chain

Designer Looks - With some research it looks like Value City Furniture bought this "upmarket" brand into its portfolio. It looks basically like a physical version of the now popular Wayfair brand. Nice design. Low prices. Mediocre quality.

Free People Movement - This is urban outfitters response to Lululemon. It is Urban Outfitters newest brand and is a high end athliesure brand that emphasizes fashion design into its clothing. I would definitely shop here. The clothing is cool, edgy and fun.

Lit Method - This is a new retail store for Lit Method which is basically a new version of Peleton.. (which is all the rage) with a digitized at home gym. Prices start at 1.8k...

Mezeh Mediterranean - It basically is another version of Cava.. it looks slightly better though.

Morgan's Brooklyn BBQ - This is a Brooklyn staple and would be their first location outside of Brooklyn. Interesting they chose KOP as the first expansion location from the original in NYC. This has a very Fette Sau vibe which is also found in Brooklyn and Fishtown. I guess Brooklyn style barbecue is a thing now. https://www.vice.com/en/article/d75j...over-the-world

As you can see.... food is becoming a bigger and bigger piece of the mall experience at KOP....

Old 04-23-2021, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Things I have recently noted with retail in the metro:

1) The Philadelphia Sports Store closed recently on 17/Chestnut that was just a few store fronts away from Di Bruno Bros.

This was really one of the few Philadelphia themed sports apparel stores left in Center City with reasonable prices on a variety of products. It is actually unfortunate.

There are two Philadelphia themed sports stores in Wash Sq West... but the one focuses on quirky vintage graphics and the other is high end (Mitchell & Sons).... I am actually sad to see my go to Philadelphia apparel store closed..

And with Modell's closed. There literally is nowhere to buy athletic wear, athletic equipment or sports theme items in Center City. Kind of crazy to think since this is a huge void in the market..

I wonder if Dick's would opt to open a store in Center City??

2) I have heard that Steve Madden on Walnut is closing... I am not sure if they will move to Chestnut where rents are a bit less expensive??

3) King of Prussia Mall is humming along well and is quickly filling vacant space from the Pandemic. New retailers expected to open soon there include:

Blue Nile - Mid Price Point Jewelry chain that seems to be the "Warby Parker" of engagement rings....

Bonchon - Famed Korean Fried Chicken Mini Chain

Designer Looks - With some research it looks like Value City Furniture bought this "upmarket" brand into its portfolio. It looks basically like a physical version of the now popular Wayfair brand. Nice design. Low prices. Mediocre quality.

Free People Movement - This is urban outfitters response to Lululemon. It is Urban Outfitters newest brand and is a high end athliesure brand that emphasizes fashion design into its clothing. I would definitely shop here. The clothing is cool, edgy and fun.

Lit Method - This is a new retail store for Lit Method which is basically a new version of Peleton.. (which is all the rage) with a digitized at home gym. Prices start at 1.8k...

Mezeh Mediterranean - It basically is another version of Cava.. it looks slightly better though.

Morgan's Brooklyn BBQ - This is a Brooklyn staple and would be their first location outside of Brooklyn. Interesting they chose KOP as the first expansion location from the original in NYC. This has a very Fette Sau vibe which is also found in Brooklyn and Fishtown. I guess Brooklyn style barbecue is a thing now. https://www.vice.com/en/article/d75j...over-the-world

As you can see.... food is becoming a bigger and bigger piece of the mall experience at KOP....
When I see this thread in my newsfeed I am hoping for good Center City news, but disappointed every time, lol. Kop just has more cachet, better marketing, more shoppers, lower rents, etc. All discussed at end on here. But the growth of more diverse food options is a new phenomenon. But, the KoP choice for Brooklyn BBQ's first stop outside of NYC is odd. That would do well in Philadelphia, Ardmore, Media, etc.

And with all the fitness craze in Center City, there is definitely a lack of shopping options. That Designer Looks store sounds like it would do well in Center City too.

(Also, Warby Parker opened in Suburban Square, good to see that area coming into its own). Downtown Wayne (further West) is a little dreary, but a property group just purchased a collection of buildings on the main Lancaster Avenue strip, with plans to reinvigorate the corridor.

Old 04-23-2021, 08:19 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,267,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
When I see this thread in my newsfeed I am hoping for good Center City news, but disappointed every time, lol. Kop just has more cachet, better marketing, more shoppers, lower rents, etc. All discussed at end on here. But the growth of more diverse food options is a new phenomenon. But, the KoP choice for Brooklyn BBQ's first stop outside of NYC is odd. That would do well in Philadelphia, Ardmore, Media, etc.

And with all the fitness craze in Center City, there is definitely a lack of shopping options. That Designer Looks store sounds like it would do well in Center City too.

(Also, Warby Parker opened in Suburban Square, good to see that area coming into its own). Downtown Wayne (further West) is a little dreary, but a property group just purchased a collection of buildings on the main Lancaster Avenue strip, with plans to reinvigorate the corridor.
Yes... Center City retail is still in dire straits... seeing the Philadelphia theme apparel store close this week.. I thought about it and was like... If a store selling Philadelphia sporting team apparel cannot survive in Center City... things are bad..... I mean this is one of the biggest most die hard sports fan cities in the nation...

And then I thought on the topic of sporting goods stores in general that if I wanted to buy a tennis racket and tennis balls... or say some hiking gear or workout equipment there is no where in Center City to buy this. City Sports and Modells were the two options and now they are both closed. Heck Philadelphia Runner even closed their location on 16th and Sansom. NUTS.

There is not even anywhere on City Ave or Columbus Blvd to buy these items... Kind of crazy to think Philadelphia only has one major Sporting Goods store and that is Dicks all the way up in the Northeast...

Such a huge void in the market... I mean I can buy running shorts at Nordstrom Rack or Bloomingdales Outlet.. but the selection at both stores is extremely limited.. Nuts. I go in there frequently looking for workout clothes and walk out empty handed all the time because the selection is so small they carry almost nothing... It is one small rack of items.

Maybe a Dick's Sporting Goods will open up either at the Market East project or to fill the old Century 21 space?? Hard to tell....

And yes.. I was very surprised about the Brooklyn BBQ opening at KOP Mall. I would not think that would be their first location outside NYC. I guess Simon courted them though with a nice offer... I think Simon has been making generous lease terms at its high performing malls to ensure that vacancy is low and sales remain high... Speaking of Simon though I am shocked they did not go the hotel route with the old L & T space.

I think they could of done a nice mix of say a 7 - 9 story mid rise development in that space... adding say a Westin style hotel with a day spa and maybe some of the office development they were also seeking. With all the new business development in KOP... the hotel surely would be a success.

And I agree the Designer Looks store would probably do very well in Center City. It gives me Wayfair vibes.. Maybe if the KOP location does well it will expand in the region??

Suburban Square is coming along nicely. I think they did a great job with all the improvements, and I honestly think Boyd's will locate their permanent second location at Suburban Square which would really elevate the center since Strawbridges and then Macy's left........

and I think Lancaster Ave in general has so much potential. I recently was in Devon and that stretch from Wayne - Devon - Villanova has so much potential.. especially with the University there. Lots of empty and underutilized parcels prime for development.

The Main Line is so NIMBY focused though it has always stifled development.

If you added a BRT line down Lancaster Avenue Connecting those Main Line communities... combined with the Commuter Rail.. you could have some impressive development. *think mini Bethesda...

Last edited by rowhomecity; 04-23-2021 at 08:45 AM..

Old 04-23-2021, 09:53 AM

1,680 posts, read 944,465 times
There is a TON of housing going up in Philly right now. This is a viable retail environment - for mainstream as well as high-end. Walnut street suffers from greedy landlords which keep retailers away.

Until this changes, it will be challenging. But the demographic is shifting in CC to one that looks a lot more like the mainline. With a healthy dose of Millenial and Gen Z.

I'm amazed that a mall like King of Prussia has such dominence over any other retail market. it's crazy.

Old 04-23-2021, 10:34 AM

7,246 posts, read 10,486,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
There is a TON of housing going up in Philly right now. This is a viable retail environment - for mainstream as well as high-end. Walnut street suffers from greedy landlords which keep retailers away.

Until this changes, it will be challenging. But the demographic is shifting in CC to one that looks a lot more like the mainline. With a healthy dose of Millenial and Gen Z.

I'm amazed that a mall like King of Prussia has such dominence over any other retail market. it's crazy.
All very accurate. Walnut Street really needs a strategic plan/vision to get its mojo back. And yes, KOP has an incredible dominance that it's very difficult for Philadelphia to gain a meaningful foothold in the very high-end market.

That beings said, folks investing condos/townhomes/apartments in developments like The Laurel, Arthaus, or 2100 Hamilton, and a slew of other high-end multi-family projects, will continue to bolster the upper-end of retail demand in/around Center City in the years to come. So it stands to reason that city retail options only have to go up from here.

Old 04-23-2021, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Yes... Center City retail is still in dire straits... seeing the Philadelphia theme apparel store close this week.. I thought about it and was like... If a store selling Philadelphia sporting team apparel cannot survive in Center City... things are bad..... I mean this is one of the biggest most die hard sports fan cities in the nation...

And then I thought on the topic of sporting goods stores in general that if I wanted to buy a tennis racket and tennis balls... or say some hiking gear or workout equipment there is no where in Center City to buy this. City Sports and Modells were the two options and now they are both closed. Heck Philadelphia Runner even closed their location on 16th and Sansom. NUTS.

There is not even anywhere on City Ave or Columbus Blvd to buy these items... Kind of crazy to think Philadelphia only has one major Sporting Goods store and that is Dicks all the way up in the Northeast...

Such a huge void in the market... I mean I can buy running shorts at Nordstrom Rack or Bloomingdales Outlet.. but the selection at both stores is extremely limited.. Nuts. I go in there frequently looking for workout clothes and walk out empty handed all the time because the selection is so small they carry almost nothing... It is one small rack of items.

Maybe a Dick's Sporting Goods will open up either at the Market East project or to fill the old Century 21 space?? Hard to tell....

And yes.. I was very surprised about the Brooklyn BBQ opening at KOP Mall. I would not think that would be their first location outside NYC. I guess Simon courted them though with a nice offer... I think Simon has been making generous lease terms at its high performing malls to ensure that vacancy is low and sales remain high... Speaking of Simon though I am shocked they did not go the hotel route with the old L & T space.

I think they could of done a nice mix of say a 7 - 9 story mid rise development in that space... adding say a Westin style hotel with a day spa and maybe some of the office development they were also seeking. With all the new business development in KOP... the hotel surely would be a success.

And I agree the Designer Looks store would probably do very well in Center City. It gives me Wayfair vibes.. Maybe if the KOP location does well it will expand in the region??

Suburban Square is coming along nicely. I think they did a great job with all the improvements, and I honestly think Boyd's will locate their permanent second location at Suburban Square which would really elevate the center since Strawbridges and then Macy's left........

and I think Lancaster Ave in general has so much potential. I recently was in Devon and that stretch from Wayne - Devon - Villanova has so much potential.. especially with the University there. Lots of empty and underutilized parcels prime for development.

The Main Line is so NIMBY focused though it has always stifled development.

If you added a BRT line down Lancaster Avenue Connecting those Main Line communities... combined with the Commuter Rail.. you could have some impressive development. *think mini Bethesda...
There is also the vacant JCPenney space, which as far as I know a hotel or large scale building is still a possibility. But I agree a larger and nicer hotel would do very well within the mall. Similar to Tysons.

Philadelphia Runner as 16th and Sansom fell victim to the completely vile behavior that took place 1 year ago. Perhaps they collected their insurance money and packed up... A shame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
All very accurate. Walnut Street really needs a strategic plan/vision to get its mojo back. And yes, KOP has an incredible dominance that it's very difficult for Philadelphia to gain a meaningful foothold in the very high-end market.

That beings said, folks investing condos/townhomes/apartments in developments like The Laurel, Arthaus, or 2100 Hamilton, and a slew of other high-end multi-family projects, will continue to bolster the upper-end of retail demand in/around Center City in the years to come. So it stands to reason that city retail options only have to go up from here.
The first sentence is what it comes down to nowadays. We live in a different world, and any developing retail corridor cannot simply rely on demand and piecemeal filling of vacancies. There needs to be a plan, vision, approach, etc. to make Walnut Street (or Chestnut), Philadelphia's premier retail destination. Or even Market Street, just pick one.

I'm sure things will improve regardless, but it will be two steps forward, one step back for many years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia