Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2021, 03:00 PM

14,147 posts, read 9,043,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
Yes... Center City retail is still in dire straits... seeing the Philadelphia theme apparel store close this week.. I thought about it and was like... If a store selling Philadelphia sporting team apparel cannot survive in Center City... things are bad..... I mean this is one of the biggest most die hard sports fan cities in the nation...
Which one are you talking about? AFAIK, Mitchell & Ness' flagship store on South 12th Street remains open. Did Shibe Sports close? Some other Philly sports nostalgia purveyor I haven't heard of?

Quote:
If you added a BRT line down Lancaster Avenue Connecting those Main Line communities... combined with the Commuter Rail.. you could have some impressive development. *think mini Bethesda...
They'd go apes**t on the Main Line if you proposed remaking Lancaster Avenue to look more like downtown Bethesda. Even a scaled-down version as you suggest here would be considered too dense and too urban.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
There is also the vacant JCPenney space, which as far as I know a hotel or large scale building is still a possibility. But I agree a larger and nicer hotel would do very well within the mall. Similar to Tysons.
I thought I read that Simon plans to build housing on the JCPenney site. This too is in keeping with a trending strategy for keeping malls alive — not that KofP needs to worry about staying alive, at least not at present.

Quote:
The first sentence is what it comes down to nowadays. We live in a different world, and any developing retail corridor cannot simply rely on demand and piecemeal filling of vacancies. There needs to be a plan, vision, approach, etc. to make Walnut Street (or Chestnut), Philadelphia's premier retail destination. Or even Market Street, just pick one.

I'm sure things will improve regardless, but it will be two steps forward, one step back for many years.
The sort of plan or vision that I think you have in mind requires control of property approaching what the owner of a shopping mall has. Otherwise, it's difficult at best to get the various property owners in a retail district to agree to externally set rules regarding leases, tenant mixes, that sort of thing.

Consider also that many Manhattan commercial districts are now fading because the owners of the commercial space are charging outrageous rents and can't find takers at those prices once current tenants leave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2021, 11:17 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,310,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Which one are you talking about? AFAIK, Mitchell & Ness' flagship store on South 12th Street remains open. Did Shibe Sports close? Some other Philly sports nostalgia purveyor I haven't heard of?

They'd go apes**t on the Main Line if you proposed remaking Lancaster Avenue to look more like downtown Bethesda. Even a scaled-down version as you suggest here would be considered too dense and too urban.

It was called... Philadelphia Sports Apparel. It was located on Chestnut St by 17th and Chestnut.. just a few store fronts down from Di Bruno Brothers. It sold every type of standard Philadelphia sports team apparel from hats, shirts, jerseys, etc... most were in the $25 - $50 range...

Shibe specializes in quirky retro versions of its apparel.... they sell lots of untraditional quirky items.. Nothing really traditional Philly sports themed...

And Mitchell and Ness is sort of a high end speciality chain that sells mostly only jerseys $200+ dollars and up and not just of Philadelphia sports teams... If you go into the Mitchell and Sons on 12th the Philadelphia selection is actually less than half of their store footprint.. They sell teams from every city basically.

It is just crazy to me that the only true Philadelphia Sports apparel store in Center City has closed. Now there are none... unless it is high end or retro themed... which is not really as original...

And yes. Main Liners like Lancaster Ave to be more quiet... but walking in Devon I just could not help but notice the potential especially from Devon to Villanova... so many under utilized parcels with so much wealth parked right near by.

It is just a hot bed to develop a new feel and look of vibrancy.. mixing the old with the new.

Old 04-24-2021, 12:35 PM

7,268 posts, read 10,587,262 times
Quote:
And yes. Main Liners like Lancaster Ave to be more quiet... but walking in Devon I just could not help but notice the potential especially from Devon to Villanova... so many under utilized parcels with so much wealth parked right near by.
Yes, the Main Line generally has a longstanding reputation for fierce NIMBYism.

Most recently in Devon, I recall that the Devon Yard project was to be much more robust commercially and include a large apartment/ hotel component. But alas, it was only permitted in its scaled-down, less impactful form--without any residential/lodging at all.

Old 04-24-2021, 03:07 PM

9,377 posts, read 9,323,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Yes, the Main Line generally has a longstanding reputation for fierce NIMBYism.

Most recently in Devon, I recall that the Devon Yard project was to be much more robust commercially and include a large apartment/ hotel component. But alas, it was only permitted in its scaled-down, less impactful form--without any residential/lodging at all.
And what were the reasons? Too much density? Changing the character?

Devon Yards in current form is nice, but could have been so much more, and that part of Lancaster Ave is more spacious with less immediate neighbors. I don't see how a 4-5 story building would "ruin" Devon. Plus, the site is literally across the road from a Septa Regional Rail station.

I am glad Ardmore and now Bryn Mawr are undergoing a bit of denser development, how it should be along Lancaster Avenue.

Old 04-24-2021, 06:30 PM

Quote:

It is just a hot bed to develop a new feel and look of vibrancy.. mixing the old with the new.
Hey, you wanna sell this vision to Main Liners, sign me up for the mission too. I'd be happy to catch flak for that.

Old 04-24-2021, 07:42 PM

7,268 posts, read 10,587,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
And what were the reasons? Too much density? Changing the character?

Devon Yards in current form is nice, but could have been so much more, and that part of Lancaster Ave is more spacious with less immediate neighbors. I don't see how a 4-5 story building would "ruin" Devon. Plus, the site is literally across the road from a Septa Regional Rail station.

I am glad Ardmore and now Bryn Mawr are undergoing a bit of denser development, how it should be along Lancaster Avenue.
Yes, all of the above re: Devon. Unfortunately, density is a four-letter word on most of the Main Line, even in areas like the Lancaster Avenue Corridor where it makes TONS of sense.

But you're right about Lower Merion generally. The Township seems to be taking a much more pragmatic and sensible approach to mixed-use, multi-family development in the areas you've already mentioned, in addition to Bala Cynwyd.

Old 05-01-2021, 08:40 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,310,407 times
I was sooo hoping it was going to hang in there.

But the Banana Republic that anchors the high profile corner at Broad and Walnut St is closing. I walked past this morning and the signs are on the windows and they have already begun liquidation.

That store was always busy, my guess again this is due to greedy landlords who did not make adjustments for the lower sales over the COVID period.

It is pretty crazy to think of all these closures on Walnut. Literally that intersection now at Broad and Walnut which should showcase some pretty high profile stores (use to be Ralph Lauren, Banana and Robinson Luggage) all have closed due to crazy high rents.

Steve Madden is supposed to close as well. And honestly I would not be shocked, if Rag & Bone, Vince and Theory close... They never seem that busy.

The crazy thing about all of this.... is for the past 6 weeks Center City is pretty much back to pre covid levels on the weekends with foot traffic with people looking to eat and shop and go to events. Which events have not fully opened yet. But the foot traffic has returned to about 75% - 80% pre covid levels.

Brooks Brothers owns the building they are located in, on Walnut. So thankfully I do not see them closing.

Old 05-01-2021, 09:38 AM

1,697 posts, read 970,166 times
Yes. Greedy landlords.

They are literally killing retail as we know it in philly.

Old 05-01-2021, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
Yes. Greedy landlords.

They are literally killing retail as we know it in philly.
Another New York import.

There were stories in the press up there for much of 2019 about how rising rents are causing many commercial storefronts in Manhattan neighborhoods to go vacant.

Old 05-02-2021, 06:41 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,323,920 times
Quote:
I was sooo hoping it was going to hang in there.

But the Banana Republic that anchors the high profile corner at Broad and Walnut St is closing. I walked past this morning and the signs are on the windows and they have already begun liquidation.
That's sad to lose another solid longtime retailer on a prominent corner.

I understand the landlord thing, but what confuses me is how none of these stores re-open elsewhere in Center City. Were they that interested in the market to begin with if they just pick up and leave altogether?

The fact that Zara and now Banana Republic do not have a presence in the one the largest cities in the nation is very odd to me. (I know BR Factory is there, but not the same).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia