Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2015, 07:33 AM

7,271 posts, read 10,607,615 times

Advertisements

Here is a related article from Philly.com today regarding the recent retail accolade from Conde Nast.

An interesting takeaway:

"Michelle Shannon, vice president of marketing and communications for the Center City District, has been courting such high-end retailers as Tory Burch, Kate Spade and Alice + Olivia since 2009. Generally speaking, these brands demand to be in cities and neighborhoods already proved to be fashionably elite.

"You bet this is the kind of thing we will put on our portfolio when we are talking to prospective retailers," said an excited Shannon, already crafting her newsletter of Center City happenings. "It's a result of all that has been going on, all we have been working on."

Mirror, Mirror: Welcome to Philadelphia, city of shopping
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2015, 08:16 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,951,203 times
the Barneys is now a full Barneys

I think this has two implications, one the earlier incarnation was under-performing and two they at least are giving the main brand a try - guess will see how sales go and hopefully well

Old 01-21-2015, 09:12 AM

7,271 posts, read 10,607,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
the Barneys is now a full Barneys

I think this has two implications, one the earlier incarnation was under-performing and two they at least are giving the main brand a try - guess will see how sales go and hopefully well
Actually, according to this article, Barney's Co-op closed several stores instead of rebranding in major markets like Atlanta, Dallas and San Diego.

It's a really good sign for Philly that it was selected as one of few to transition into a full-brand store.

Barneys Rebranding Co-op Stores Signals the Start of a More Luxe Era - Forbes

Old 01-21-2015, 10:31 AM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,769,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
You are correct. It will not at all be reminiscent of the Barnes and Noble in Rittenhouse.
The one in Upenn is a fully-fledged B & N though. So here's hoping.
And I think there will be a cafe based on the paper ads plastered on the glasses of the bldg - if I am not mistaken. I will check when I get home tonight.

Old 01-21-2015, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Here is a related article from Philly.com today regarding the recent retail accolade from Conde Nast.

An interesting takeaway:

"Michelle Shannon, vice president of marketing and communications for the Center City District, has been courting such high-end retailers as Tory Burch, Kate Spade and Alice + Olivia since 2009. Generally speaking, these brands demand to be in cities and neighborhoods already proved to be fashionably elite.

"You bet this is the kind of thing we will put on our portfolio when we are talking to prospective retailers," said an excited Shannon, already crafting her newsletter of Center City happenings. "It's a result of all that has been going on, all we have been working on."

Mirror, Mirror: Welcome to Philadelphia, city of shopping
OK by the end of this post, everybody here will think I am a *****. My apology.

I agree with most of the people in the article.
When I read that article about Philly is #2 shopping destination in the world, I almost laughed.
I love Philly, it has been my home for 4 years now. But the statement that Conde Nast gave was not nearly accurate.

------------------------------
*Now this is the part I b*tch*: <you dont have to read it if you dont want to>
I work part-time as a personal shopper in the weekend ever since I was in college. Also I am an avid shopper myself. Coming from Miami to Philadelphia, and PA in general, I can rest assure that there is a major lack of middle-class and high-end retails stores here. OK we have UNIQLO. But where is Desigual, SuperDry, Yohji Yamamoto's and Y-3, Scotch and Soda, Adriano Goldschmied? And these are the middle class stores that are available in major cities. Forget about the high-end ones.....
Also in most major cities, there are more than one of the same stores. That is not the case in Philly. The only thing that has double is H & M. No double Diesel, no double Zara, etc.
And I am only talking about clothing here. The same holds true for major knick knack, urban collectibles (RIP KidRobot) and furniture stores.
*B*tch mode ends here*
-------------------------------

I think personally the reason major international retailers hesitant to open in Philly because there is not enough demand for it. This is not necessarily because people in Philly spends their money somewhere else (I can testify that from the demands my clients requested and my peers), but also because we have good access to NYC and KOP to some extent. And unfortunately, this also reflects on how it affects the current retailers we have:
1. Burberry was closed.
2. Although I have not experienced it myself and for my clients, C21's selections per an article in shoppist website got worse.
Nordstrom Rack, Century 21, and the Future of Center City Discount Shopping - Shoppist
(CEO of C21 mentioned when it was opened that the stocks in C21 Philly will be dictated by the demands on the market. Originally, they will have the nice selections like the ones in NYC, but they will be adjusted as what the market wants).
3. Original Adidas Store was replaced to regular; albeit, Adidas outlet in South Street. No more Jeremy Scott! No more Rick Owens!

Aside of that, I still think Philly is a great city, We do have a great selection of different eateries here. (Sky Cafe Indonesian food in South Philly and Schlesinger's matsoh balls soup in Rittenhouse are the best!).
And we also have great public transportation system (yes I love me my SEPTA) and great museums!
But if we only can get the shopping department up to the speed, that will be awesome!

Old 01-21-2015, 12:19 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,944,919 times
^Fair post-it's good to hear things on the shopping front from someone "in the biz" haha.

Old 01-21-2015, 12:41 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,655,636 times
All the C21's in NYC don't even have the same/nice stuff...

Old 01-21-2015, 12:43 PM

9,381 posts, read 9,349,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
The one in Upenn is a fully-fledged B & N though. So here's hoping.
And I think there will be a cafe based on the paper ads plastered on the glasses of the bldg - if I am not mistaken. I will check when I get home tonight.
i am not trying to be a hater, but that is UPenn...this is Temple. Also that is UPenns flagship bookstore. This is Temples Center City campus store. The addition is great for near City Hall, but hardly groundbreaking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
OK by the end of this post, everybody here will think I am a *****. My apology.

I agree with most of the people in the article.
When I read that article about Philly is #2 shopping destination in the world, I almost laughed.
I love Philly, it has been my home for 4 years now. But the statement that Conde Nast gave was not nearly accurate.

------------------------------
*Now this is the part I b*tch*: <you dont have to read it if you dont want to>
I work part-time as a personal shopper in the weekend ever since I was in college. Also I am an avid shopper myself. Coming from Miami to Philadelphia, and PA in general, I can rest assure that there is a major lack of middle-class and high-end retails stores here. OK we have UNIQLO. But where is Desigual, SuperDry, Yohji Yamamoto's and Y-3, Scotch and Soda, Adriano Goldschmied? And these are the middle class stores that are available in major cities. Forget about the high-end ones.....
Also in most major cities, there are more than one of the same stores. That is not the case in Philly. The only thing that has double is H & M. No double Diesel, no double Zara, etc.
And I am only talking about clothing here. The same holds true for major knick knack, urban collectibles (RIP KidRobot) and furniture stores.
*B*tch mode ends here*
-------------------------------

I think personally the reason major international retailers hesitant to open in Philly because there is not enough demand for it. This is not necessarily because people in Philly spends their money somewhere else (I can testify that from the demands my clients requested and my peers), but also because we have good access to NYC and KOP to some extent. And unfortunately, this also reflects on how it affects the current retailers we have:
1. Burberry was closed.
2. Although I have not experienced it myself and for my clients, C21's selections per an article in shoppist website got worse.
Nordstrom Rack, Century 21, and the Future of Center City Discount Shopping - Shoppist
(CEO of C21 mentioned when it was opened that the stocks in C21 Philly will be dictated by the demands on the market. Originally, they will have the nice selections like the ones in NYC, but they will be adjusted as what the market wants).
3. Original Adidas Store was replaced to regular; albeit, Adidas outlet in South Street. No more Jeremy Scott! No more Rick Owens!

Aside of that, I still think Philly is a great city, We do have a great selection of different eateries here. (Sky Cafe Indonesian food in South Philly and Schlesinger's matsoh balls soup in Rittenhouse are the best!).
And we also have great public transportation system (yes I love me my SEPTA) and great museums!
But if we only can get the shopping department up to the speed, that will be awesome!

I think you assessment is spot on actually. Philadelphia has come a very long way even over the past 5 years. Food and variety hands down Philly is one of the best in the country, but shopping no...

Whether you like malls or not, KoP is the only national/international retail desitination in the area because of the huge assortment of high end store with many more to come thanks to the expansion.

Center City really needs to land another major department store ie Bloomingdales/Nordstrom first. Next, as you pointed out there are a lot of high fashion middle class stores that are still missing.

Also, the addition of Micheal Kors was great, but in return we lost Burberry... I am not sure exactly why Burberry closed, but again whether you support national retailers or not, we need Burberry, Hugo Boss, Tory Burch, Gucci, etc in order to build a healthy retail scene, which will draw those knowledgeable and high end shoppers in the city from the suburbs or elsewhere.

And if the city really wants to attract fashionistas/os we need stores like Scotch, Fred Perry, Penguin, John Varvatos, DVF, etc.

I am hopeful though, with the pace Center City is going I would not be surprised if more than one of those high end retailers sets up shop within the next year.

Old 01-21-2015, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
^Fair post-it's good to hear things on the shopping front from someone "in the biz" haha.
Thanks.
I am sorry. I did not mean to be a ******. Sometimes it does frustrate me.
Although I have to remind myself for every single negative thing about a city, there are other gazillion positive things about that city.

Old 01-21-2015, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
i am not trying to be a hater, but that is UPenn...this is Temple. Also that is UPenns flagship bookstore. This is Temples Center City campus store. The addition is great for near City Hall, but hardly groundbreaking.

I think you assessment is spot on actually. Philadelphia has come a very long way even over the past 5 years. Food and variety hands down Philly is one of the best in the country, but shopping no...

Whether you like malls or not, KoP is the only national/international retail desitination in the area because of the huge assortment of high end store with many more to come thanks to the expansion.

Center City really needs to land another major department store ie Bloomingdales/Nordstrom first. Next, as you pointed out there are a lot of high fashion middle class stores that are still missing.

Also, the addition of Micheal Kors was great, but in return we lost Burberry... I am not sure exactly why Burberry closed, but again whether you support national retailers or not, we need Burberry, Hugo Boss, Tory Burch, Gucci, etc in order to build a healthy retail scene, which will draw those knowledgeable and high end shoppers in the city from the suburbs or elsewhere.

And if the city really wants to attract fashionistas/os we need stores like Scotch, Fred Perry, Penguin, John Varvatos, DVF, etc.

I am hopeful though, with the pace Center City is going I would not be surprised if more than one of those high end retailers sets up shop within the next year.
I agree.
Let's hope this small advertisement from Conde Nast lures more retails to our beloved city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia