Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2015, 05:16 PM

1,102 posts, read 1,868,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut View Post
Looks like Coach on Walnut has closed. And Kenneth Cole is closing as well. Philadelphia's retail scene continues to take one step forward and one step back.
I think Coach is still open. As for Kenneth Cole, he is rebranding and closing up most of his retails stores. A handful remain open... ie the one in Pentagon City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2015, 05:21 PM

8,701 posts, read 14,772,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nifear View Post
I think Coach is still open. As for Kenneth Cole, he is rebranding and closing up most of his retails stores. A handful remain open... ie the one in Pentagon City.
Walked by today and Coach had brown paper up covering the windows, similar to when Juicy and Burberry closed. Any idea? Maybe just renovations hopefully?

Old 01-26-2015, 08:37 AM

9,448 posts, read 9,471,166 times
Quote:
Looks like Coach on Walnut has closed. And Kenneth Cole is closing as well. Philadelphia's retail scene continues to take one step forward and one step back.
That is two giant steps back. That is really sudden if Coach would just close up shop permanently without alerting the pubic. Hopefully there are renovating, or moving possibly?

Is the Kenneth Cole in KoP closing as well?

Old 01-26-2015, 08:38 AM

1,102 posts, read 1,868,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Is the Kenneth Cole in KoP closing as well?
Yep

Old 01-26-2015, 08:42 AM

9,448 posts, read 9,471,166 times
Just called the Coach store in Philadelphia and the representative said they are permanently closed with no plans for a new store.

Old 01-26-2015, 08:51 AM

8,701 posts, read 14,772,056 times
Quote:
Just called the Coach store in Philadelphia and the representative said they are permanently closed with no plans for a new store.
Well that sucks. Philadelphia gained a lot of great new stores last year, but at the same time lost Juicy, Kenneth Cole, Arden B., Coach and Burberry.

Now Juicy and Kenneth Cole seem to be getting rid of their retail stores, and Arden B. isn't a huge loss, but Coach and Burberry is. That sucks.

Old 01-26-2015, 09:53 AM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,781,820 times
Quote:
Walked by today and Coach had brown paper up covering the windows, similar to when Juicy and Burberry closed. Any idea? Maybe just renovations hopefully?
I saw that. I have no idea what happened with Coach.
Kenneth Cole is re-branding its company after Kenneth Cole *(the person not the company) rebuy the company. They will focus back on shoes and accessories like before. Only handful stores in LA, NYC and Miami are going to be still open. (Includes the one in Pentagon City per what somebody else said).

Old 01-26-2015, 09:56 AM

Quote:
WHATTTT!!!! I did not know that! What a major step back!!!

Old 01-26-2015, 04:55 PM

7,319 posts, read 10,692,956 times
I think Walnut Street is continuing to go through some substantial changes, many of which are not always known (e.g., behind the scenes brokering). While it is sad to lose stores, the spaces seem to be quickly spoken for--I don't see why that wouldn't continue to happen.

In local business news, this is very encouraging for Philadelphia:

Survey reports good news for Philadelphia small business owners

"A recent survey conducted by TD Bank found that most small business owners in Philadelphia are more excited than anxious for the year ahead. Seventy-three percent of small business owners expect to meet or exceed their projected revenue goals this year, up from 69 percent who felt that way in 2013."

http://www.metro.us/news/survey-repo...-wfvqN5sgtj72/

Old 01-26-2015, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
1. Note that the Conde Nast Traveler ratings are based on a readers' survey. That means the readers of the magazine think shopping in this town is great. I know such surveys are unscientific, but something tells me that the readership of this magazine is not unusually concentrated in Greater Philadelphia. IOW, the shopping we have made a strong impression on people who came here and checked it out.

2. What were the two places that got singled out in the mag's writeup? The Reading Terminal Market and Third Street in Old City, in particular Sugarcube. What do these two places have in common? They're purely homegrown, and light to nonexistent on all the national chains you all have been salivating over in the posts preceding this.

There's NO chain presence in the RTM at all, and it's far and away the most acclaimed and highly regarded place to shop in the city. Granted, it sells food, not clothing, but it still rates as a shopping experience like no other.

I can think of only one Third Street store at present that is non-local in origin: Jonathan Adler, the home decor store, and Jonathan has only a handful of stores around the country. The rest are all homegrown, and many of them specialize in high-end or unique merchandise (any of you checked out Tribal Home?).

I used to get highly annoyed when I traveled with my ex and the first thing he would do in any city we visited was make a bee line for the Polo Ralph Lauren store. What's unique, distinctive or unusual about going there? Well, for what it's worth, the same can be said for all those other chains whose absence some of you lamented. Don't get me wrong, I am thrilled that Uniqlo, Michael Kors, Madewell, American Eagle, and so on, have opened in Center City, and the upgrading of Barneys Co-op says good things too (even though I will in all likelihood never set foot in Barneys just as I never set foot in the misnamed Co-op). But it's the "only in Philly" stuff that caught the visitors' eye. We should be promoting the hell out of that as well.
First of all, I agree that having a city with all the name brands are monotonous. Something "locally-grown" is also needed to add diversity and characters to the city.
I am going to talk mainly about fashion, but also furnitures per what you mentioned.
Most of the name-brands I and several others were mentioning are NOT ubiquity in every cities. Their boutiques / stores are only available in selected cities, where the corporation know that people will actually get them.
In my personal opinion, world-class cities are those whivch actually have these selections provided.
And as somebody who have lived in Philadelphia for 4 years, I would like to see this city to grow even more by providing this selections. (And of course it will make my life easier when I shop for the clients instead of going home to Miami or Manhattan to shop he he).
Only selective cities have Desigual, Scotch & Soda, SuperDry, Paul Smith and Ted Baker.
So they are distinctive. But they are internationally renowned.
They are not as "common-chain" as Polo Ralph Lauren. Although now we have Ted Baker in KOP.
In my dream, people can come to Philadelphia to shop not only for locale boutiques (which is 90% misnomer, I will explain later below) but also world-class renowned brands. Back home in Miami, people flocked Dsquared2 and Jimmy Choo boutiques all the way from Dallas because they don;t have those particular stores there. True, Saks Fifth carries them, but the fully-fledged boutique is always the real deal since it has all the selections from the label.
Not all cities have Kartell store. It is an international yet unique Italian-designed furniture stores I remember when one of my client asked me that he wanted to get those unique indie chairs form the office setting in Ugly Betty. And right away I know that they are of Kartell. They are unique, they are not overrated.
The point is that I have seen people come from Bucks County to Center City to shop in Jack Wills of Walnut (another internationally renowned label) because it is unique and it is not available in Montgomery Mall or Plymouth meeting Mall. Why not adding others?

Now about locale boutique, they usually sell other brands that are not local. The only brand/boutique I know was born and grown in Philly is Duke and Winston on Chestnut. (You should check it out especially since the pup is cute).
Sugarcube perhaps is locally owned but it only sells 10% Phialdelphia-based products. They provide selection from "fresh" designers from all over the country and internationally who wants to make it big. Michelle Kim is one of an example of products carried by SugarCube. The last time I checked, she is not from Philly. So technically, Sugarcube is just an outlet that sell cheaper merchandises as oppose to Joan Shepp and Boyd. You can buy Michelle Kim's merchandise, as well as some others such as Gentle Fawns (Canadian brands) in numerous store in Brooklyn, West Hollywood and South Beach. So they are not unique to Philadelphia.
This also applies to furniture store.

And also not all international-renowned brand offer same products in every stores they have. It will depend on the demand of the demographic in the area. For example, Ralph Lauren in Bellevue does not have certain lines of RL products; such as: the purple label, the RLX and Denim & Supply. Another good example is Lacoste of CC. It does not provide extensive Live! line since there is no demand for it here. (The store only started to offer the line last year; albeit in limited selection and quantity). Of course this does not apply to affordable fast-fashion brands like H & M, Uniqlo and soon F21. Although even then, H & M chestnut and walnut actually offer slightly different selections. (Chestnut being for the younger crowds while Walnut being for the older crowds).

I apologize if I sounded condescending in my previous post in regard to Conde Nast article. But I am not the only one, who share the sentiment about the reality of shopping here. Some of my friends also said the same thing. There are also other who feel the same way. Read the article below.
Mirror, Mirror: Welcome to Philadelphia, city of shopping
I can see Philadelphia rated #2 heck even #1 for its culinary selection in the US. But I don't see how Philadelphia can be #2 for world shopping destination beating Hong Kong, Dubai or Paris. Heck I even think that Bangkok and Bandung have more indie stores that makes and sells one-of-a-kind local products, while also providing internationally recognized brands within its vicinity.

Anyway at the end, we all have our opinions. And tihis is just my 2 cents.

OK you guys stay warm today and tomorrow!!!!!! Don't drive when it is not necessary.

Last edited by asiandudeyo; 01-26-2015 at 06:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia