Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2022, 09:11 PM

1,018 posts, read 431,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
A longtime Rite Aid in NYC at 50th & 8th recently closed due to theft and their lease expiring.
I doubt this location closed due to theft. My guess is a large store and heavily decreased foot traffic, stinks either way, as it was a convenient store to have.
In today's environment, one can never rule out ''theft'' being a factor. The 7-11 across the street on Arch Street closed a while ago and theft was an issue there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2022, 09:25 PM

54 posts, read 120,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Can you blame them for NOT coming into the city?
This is exactly the point: are we this delusional that people cannot see that Philadelphia has fallen so incredibly far from where it was before Covid that it's a serious crisis? We already had regressive tax and other policies that "dared" businesses and residents to come in, or stay, or leave. And now we have a mayor that seems invisible, a council that continues to do what it has always done (or not), and absolutely incredible disorder and crime that we did not have on the same level not so long ago.

Center City, and I think people know this and it hurts us all, is a shell of what it was a few years ago. We have a big, big hole out of which to dig. Sugar-coating all of this will do nothing meaningful. We have a wonderful and important city worth fighting for, but I have never seen it so rudderless, and it goes well beyond political affiliations and loyalties. Something has to give and if we are wise and focused, we should come out on the other side with better political leadership, a frank ability to see things as they are in the city, and a willingness to shatter the entrenched political order of things in town to entice retail, and other commercial investment, into the city for long-term benefit, on a healthier footing than in the past.

Old 06-08-2022, 05:02 AM

13,937 posts, read 8,779,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I'm hardly ever, ever, ever, ever over there (like not in four years). But but, dang, I liked the bar and sushi place that is (was?) there. And the yogurt place and Wawa.
The Wawa and the yogurt shop are in Sansom Place East (former Graduate Tower A) at 36th and Chestnut. (Wait, that may not be the yogurt place; ISTR there was either a Japanese or a Korean restaurant next to the Wawa when I worked in that building in the early 2000s. The restaurant I recall as located on the International House terrace had closed a while back.)

Old 06-08-2022, 09:04 AM

1,680 posts, read 943,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kukla65th View Post
This is exactly the point: are we this delusional that people cannot see that Philadelphia has fallen so incredibly far from where it was before Covid that it's a serious crisis? We already had regressive tax and other policies that "dared" businesses and residents to come in, or stay, or leave. And now we have a mayor that seems invisible, a council that continues to do what it has always done (or not), and absolutely incredible disorder and crime that we did not have on the same level not so long ago.

Center City, and I think people know this and it hurts us all, is a shell of what it was a few years ago. We have a big, big hole out of which to dig. Sugar-coating all of this will do nothing meaningful. We have a wonderful and important city worth fighting for, but I have never seen it so rudderless, and it goes well beyond political affiliations and loyalties. Something has to give and if we are wise and focused, we should come out on the other side with better political leadership, a frank ability to see things as they are in the city, and a willingness to shatter the entrenched political order of things in town to entice retail, and other commercial investment, into the city for long-term benefit, on a healthier footing than in the past.
I can speak more specifically about Old City. It is a shell of what it was pre-covid.

Old 06-08-2022, 09:19 AM

1,510 posts, read 1,155,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
A longtime Rite Aid in NYC at 50th & 8th recently closed due to theft and their lease expiring.
I doubt this location closed due to theft. My guess is a large store and heavily decreased foot traffic, stinks either way, as it was a convenient store to have.
I wonder if that's the Rite Aid where Michael Rappaport recently posted a video from (Instagram), watching some guy grab something, put it in his backpack, and walk right past the security guard on the way out the door.

Old 06-08-2022, 10:43 AM

9,333 posts, read 9,185,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kukla65th View Post

Most reasonable people are aware of that (at least I am), but let's not suggest that the post-Covid problems are Philadelphia specific. NYC, Chicago, Austin, San Fran, Houston, etc., all have their share of major issues, some less severe some more severe than what Philadelphia is facing.

While Center City is still on the path of recovery, I don't view it as a shell of it's former self. I don't live there so not speaking for others experiences, but I visit enough and make it a point to immerse myself in the city, and per my recent visits, the liveliness and general energy felt closer to normal than not. The biggest difference I noticed was the increase in commercial vacancies and more disturbed individuals roaming around certain areas, specifically near the Convention Center (obviously still issues).

I agree the crime issue which has reared it's head all over the city, not good. And the regressive economic and tax policies are nothing new, but I hope for momentum to change the economic status quo as Philadelphia is on the verge of being an international center for life science and research (as long as leaders don't get in the way).

And I've stated many times, immediate action is needed to address crime before the long-term approaches kick in, and the city needs to invest in alleviating basic QOL of issues like neighborhood cleanups, tree planting, fixing sidewalks, etc.

My hope is a for a solid candidate to win the Mayoral election next year, then Philadelphia has a good shot to officially get back on track.

Old 06-08-2022, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers Girl View Post
I wonder if that's the Rite Aid where Michael Rappaport recently posted a video from (Instagram), watching some guy grab something, put it in his backpack, and walk right past the security guard on the way out the door.
That was in NYC, I think in Chelsea. The longtime Rite Aid at 50th & 9th Ave recently closed due to shoplifting, which I witnessed.

My gut tells me the Rite Aid across from the 4 Seasons in Philly closed due to lease / lack of foot traffic, as mentioned by another poster.

Old 06-08-2022, 11:19 AM

379 posts, read 256,160 times
Honestly from a quality of life perspective, one of the major differences from pre-Covid is the enormous increase in ATV vehicles being driven loudly and recklessly all over the city at all hours of the day and night. I personally don’t get particularly annoyed by it but many friends who have visited in the last year have been annoyed and/or scared of them and more than a couple have said they don’t want to come back to the city.

It may seem like a small thing but it makes a huge difference in quality of life if you’re trying to sleep or enjoy a dinner sitting outside.

I do agree with cpomp though that the city in the last few months has really started to feel like it’s getting back to normal and tied to that is a lot of vacancies are starting to be filled in areas like Walnut Street. The pedestrian traffic seems almost back to 100% in large areas of center city.

Old 06-08-2022, 12:06 PM

^ The ATV problem is one of the few QOL issues that can actually be changed in a short period of time with a proper crackdown, which I am all for. But I don't expect much from the Mayor or most of Council, which circles back to my last point of not expecting much change to the status quo until potentially next fall.

Good to see retailers trickling back in on Walnut Street though.

Old 06-08-2022, 02:38 PM

7,246 posts, read 10,480,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mphilly View Post
Honestly from a quality of life perspective, one of the major differences from pre-Covid is the enormous increase in ATV vehicles being driven loudly and recklessly all over the city at all hours of the day and night. I personally don’t get particularly annoyed by it but many friends who have visited in the last year have been annoyed and/or scared of them and more than a couple have said they don’t want to come back to the city.
It's disconcerting that the enforcement clearly became lax. Here's a story literally from 10 years ago describing the City's ATV crackdown, which obviously had an effect then:

https://whyy.org/articles/atv-crackd...-philadelphia/

There's no reason why that can't be the case again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia