Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2022, 09:49 AM

1,678 posts, read 934,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesJay64 View Post
Boba King just opened at the corner of 13th and Chestnut, across from the old Wawa where a little grocery store used to be. It actually looks like a pretty nice place and my girlfriend loves boba lol
What is with all the bubble tea places in town. There must be like a... "Bubble Tea Store Fund" that allows for funding to establish and operate these stores. There's one in Old City by me that I have never seen anyone but the staff in there. I don't know how they stay open.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2022, 11:37 AM

466 posts, read 260,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
What is with all the bubble tea places in town. There must be like a... "Bubble Tea Store Fund" that allows for funding to establish and operate these stores. There's one in Old City by me that I have never seen anyone but the staff in there. I don't know how they stay open.
No idea but I prefer them to smoke shops. I'm pretty sure I saw a new one opening on Walnut around the corner too.

Old 01-02-2023, 10:28 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,254,111 times
I have no idea if Bloomingdales is still planning on expanding within Center City.

But at one time they were dead set on opening a full line store in Center City Pre Covid, but could not locate a suitable location in a proper radius of the higher end retail area within Center City (Rittenhouse) with adequate sq footage.

I believe they entertained the "Fashion District" briefly, but that was prior to the shift to turn it into a low/mid level outlet center.

The Macys (parent company) located in Center City is one of their highest volume stores on the East Coast. And I believe the Bloomingdales Outlet on Chestnut does quite well, bc it is always buzzing with people shopping and seems to do quite well.

With that, the vacancy of Barnes and Noble on Walnut across from the square seems like it would make an attractive opportunity for the retailer to open a new full line store.

It seems to be just a little smaller than their SoHo location. The SoHo location does have a large underground/basement space with menswear. Im not sure if that layout is workable at the vacant Barnes and Noble to add additional sq. footage for a full line store.

I think it could work though. That Barnes and Noble is 3 floors and must be approx 50,000 sq ft. Which is a decent size for a smaller version of Bloomingdales. (Approx the same size as the Nordstrom Rack on Chestnut).

Old 01-02-2023, 03:34 PM

9,314 posts, read 9,141,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
I have no idea if Bloomingdales is still planning on expanding within Center City.

But at one time they were dead set on opening a full line store in Center City Pre Covid, but could not locate a suitable location in a proper radius of the higher end retail area within Center City (Rittenhouse) with adequate sq footage.

I believe they entertained the "Fashion District" briefly, but that was prior to the shift to turn it into a low/mid level outlet center.

The Macys (parent company) located in Center City is one of their highest volume stores on the East Coast. And I believe the Bloomingdales Outlet on Chestnut does quite well, bc it is always buzzing with people shopping and seems to do quite well.

With that, the vacancy of Barnes and Noble on Walnut across from the square seems like it would make an attractive opportunity for the retailer to open a new full line store.

It seems to be just a little smaller than their SoHo location. The SoHo location does have a large underground/basement space with menswear. Im not sure if that layout is workable at the vacant Barnes and Noble to add additional sq. footage for a full line store.

I think it could work though. That Barnes and Noble is 3 floors and must be approx 50,000 sq ft. Which is a decent size for a smaller version of Bloomingdales. (Approx the same size as the Nordstrom Rack on Chestnut).
I doubt Bloomingdale's will open in Center City. There aren't any good spots and department stores aren't expanding like they used to. Market East (I'm sorry to say) is a disaster at the moment, no hope for that corridor until the Sixers plan starts or mass demo and redevelopment of the South side of Market from 8th - 11th (less the Immigration Building).

I could see a Saks Off 5th taking the Barnes & Noble space, a good fit for that corner.

Old 01-03-2023, 08:19 AM

Didn't someone mention a rumor of a Starbucks Reserve taking over the Barnes and Noble space? I am not starting this rumor I definitely saw it somewhere from another poster.

Old 01-03-2023, 08:29 AM

9,314 posts, read 9,141,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesJay64 View Post
Didn't someone mention a rumor of a Starbucks Reserve taking over the Barnes and Noble space? I am not starting this rumor I definitely saw it somewhere from another poster.
That was me. A just a rumor, but would be cool and generate a lot of foot traffic.

Old 01-03-2023, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
That was me. A just a rumor, but would be cool and generate a lot of foot traffic.
It would be very cool. I don't know much about this topic but it seems like the space would require pretty significant renovations if it were to be anything besides a department store though.

Old 01-04-2023, 01:00 PM

1,018 posts, read 427,463 times
The Market East Marshall's is set to close on January 14.

The 25,000 sf space is allegedly going to be replaced by another national retailer. Anyone know who the replacement national retailer is?

Old 01-04-2023, 01:12 PM

1,018 posts, read 427,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I doubt Bloomingdale's will open in Center City. There aren't any good spots and department stores aren't expanding like they used to. Market East (I'm sorry to say) is a disaster at the moment, no hope for that corridor until the Sixers plan starts or mass demo and redevelopment of the South side of Market from 8th - 11th (less the Immigration Building).

I could see a Saks Off 5th taking the Barnes & Noble space, a good fit for that corner.
I would go for the mass demo and redevelopment of the south side of Market East in lieu of a new Sixers arena.

If there's going to be a CC arena, put it at 8th/Market (southside) where the gigantic parking crater still sits on the city's main street in an area connecting tourist/visitor heavy Old City to the rest of CC.

Read where the Sixers arena folks want the Flyers to come into this as well.

Not worth losing Chinatown for a new, unneeded arena to ''fix'' what the city can't fix, even with all of its misplaced solutions. Plus the arena will take out part of this new Fashion place that was just built..wtf?

The space at the SW corner of Chestnut/Broad is large yet still sits empty as does the NE corner where Insomnia Cookies is supposed to be relocating its corporate headquarters (no signs of work there yet though).

Hopefully, Philly can keep its unique and growing Chinatown and put this unnecessary Sixers arena somewhere else.

Old 01-04-2023, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPK21 View Post
I would go for the mass demo and redevelopment of the south side of Market East in lieu of a new Sixers arena.

If there's going to be a CC arena, put it at 8th/Market (southside) where the gigantic parking crater still sits on the city's main street in an area connecting tourist/visitor heavy Old City to the rest of CC.

Read where the Sixers arena folks want the Flyers to come into this as well.

Not worth losing Chinatown for a new, unneeded arena to ''fix'' what the city can't fix, even with all of its misplaced solutions. Plus the arena will take out part of this new Fashion place that was just built..wtf?

The space at the SW corner of Chestnut/Broad is large yet still sits empty as does the NE corner where Insomnia Cookies is supposed to be relocating its corporate headquarters (no signs of work there yet though).

Hopefully, Philly can keep its unique and growing Chinatown and put this unnecessary Sixers arena somewhere else.
While I don't agree that Chinatown would necessarily be destroyed by the arena being built in the proposed location, I do agree that 8th & Market would be ideal if the space is big enough.

I wonder what's going on with the Insomnia HQ, I just walked by the other day and also noticed nothing had been done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia