Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2015, 08:42 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,929,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
This is what I got so far:
1. CHIPOTLE
Chipotle is coming to Liberty Place. If you go to the food court, you will see a boarded-up area near the corner across-ish from Chic-Fil-A.

2. INDOCHINO
Just across from Liberty Place, Indochino is officially opened. It is located to the left of UNIQLO. It used to be occupied by Liberty Travel.

3. LIBERTY TRAVEL
Speaking of Liberty Travel, they moved one block away, closer to Modell's. I personally love how they make the building kinda chic, clean and attractive from outside. There is a huge monitor display inside that made people turned their heads around to see what's up. And on the top of that, this means one more empty storefront is filled. YAY!

4. NEW BALANCE
I heard New Balance concept store is coming to Walnut this Summer (before Under Armour!) How stealthy!

5. BANANA REPUBLIC FACTORY STORE AND GAP OUTLET STORE
Banana republic Factory store has been opened for 3 weeks now on Chestnut. And I am glad the GAP outlet across the street from it is not closed. I heard rumor that it will be closed, leaving a visible strip of blight-ness, combining that with Boyd Theatre. I talked to the manager there, and they were like "What? WHo? We are closing? Said who?" Well at least that is what she said. And the rumor was that it would be closed on Dec 2014. As up to last night when I went home, it was still there opened. Here hoping that it would not be closed.

6. MAIN FOOD COURT OF THE GALLERY MARKET EAST
Switching to the Gallery. Most of the food vendors in the main food court had been gone. IT is so sad because I love KFC. But then when I went to Books-A-Million, the manager told me that all the food vendors will be relocated toward their direction, ie closer to C21. I have no idea how it will be done. The only thing I can imagine is that, it will occupy that left area of the corridor to El. That closer area that is currently closed with glass(?) walls plastered with C21 ads.
And for Books-a-Million itself, they have not heard any news from their upper managament when they will be moved. My guess is that PREIT will just close the main food court area, leaving the wings opened for retailers to congregate, Of course in the process, it looks like Modell's has to be closed as well.

7. BARNES AND NOBLES NEAR DILWORTH PARK
It is not opened yet! (I know this is non-news). They promised it will be opened this month! I am still crossing my fingers.

8. TOP SHOP / TOP MAN????
Just some article I read about East Market. So this is just from an article I read.
Aside of MOM's, according to an article they are scouting to have another UNIQLO and wait for it....(gasp) TOP SHOP / TOP MAN! hjkjhdskjfhgsdgss! YAYYYYY!!!!! We all know how lame / incomplete their collection is in Nordstrom KOP! (Sorry Nordstrom!)

9. G-STAR AND / OR SUPERDRY????
I talked to the owner of G-Star (apparently he bought it as a franchise??) in Cherry Hill Mall; he was interested in the SuperDry jacket I wore and whereabout I got it. The way we conversed at the end sounded to me as though he was surveying what retails people in CC want / need. They said that they tried to find a location in Center City for possibly G-star and/or SuperDry. I literally begged him to open a G-Star and / or Super Dry on Walnut. So it seems to me that the dude is STILL looking to open a store somewhere in CC. Maybe he will do it in East Market development.
NY Topshop topman just opened its 2nd store on 5th Avenue which is the 2nd largest store in the World

The next waive of expansions are going to these cities
plans to open four additional stateside stores -- in Atlanta, San Diego, Houston and Washington, D.C. which all will open this year

http://fashionista.com/2014/02/topsh...venue-flagship
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2015, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
OK by the end of this post, everybody here will think I am a *****. My apology.

I agree with most of the people in the article.
When I read that article about Philly is #2 shopping destination in the world, I almost laughed.
I love Philly, it has been my home for 4 years now. But the statement that Conde Nast gave was not nearly accurate.

------------------------------
*Now this is the part I b*tch*: <you dont have to read it if you dont want to>
I work part-time as a personal shopper in the weekend ever since I was in college. Also I am an avid shopper myself. Coming from Miami to Philadelphia, and PA in general, I can rest assure that there is a major lack of middle-class and high-end retails stores here. OK we have UNIQLO. But where is Desigual, SuperDry, Yohji Yamamoto's and Y-3, Scotch and Soda, Adriano Goldschmied? And these are the middle class stores that are available in major cities. Forget about the high-end ones.....
Also in most major cities, there are more than one of the same stores. That is not the case in Philly. The only thing that has double is H & M. No double Diesel, no double Zara, etc.
And I am only talking about clothing here. The same holds true for major knick knack, urban collectibles (RIP KidRobot) and furniture stores.
*B*tch mode ends here*
-------------------------------

I think personally the reason major international retailers hesitant to open in Philly because there is not enough demand for it. This is not necessarily because people in Philly spends their money somewhere else (I can testify that from the demands my clients requested and my peers), but also because we have good access to NYC and KOP to some extent. And unfortunately, this also reflects on how it affects the current retailers we have:
1. Burberry was closed.
2. Although I have not experienced it myself and for my clients, C21's selections per an article in shoppist website got worse.
Nordstrom Rack, Century 21, and the Future of Center City Discount Shopping - Shoppist
(CEO of C21 mentioned when it was opened that the stocks in C21 Philly will be dictated by the demands on the market. Originally, they will have the nice selections like the ones in NYC, but they will be adjusted as what the market wants).
3. Original Adidas Store was replaced to regular; albeit, Adidas outlet in South Street. No more Jeremy Scott! No more Rick Owens!

Aside of that, I still think Philly is a great city, We do have a great selection of different eateries here. (Sky Cafe Indonesian food in South Philly and Schlesinger's matsoh balls soup in Rittenhouse are the best!).
And we also have great public transportation system (yes I love me my SEPTA) and great museums!
But if we only can get the shopping department up to the speed, that will be awesome!

In the World Try Atlanta Dallas Houston and Miami Who all do well in the upscale Store Dept. There aare alot of stores in those cities that Philly don't have.

Old 02-15-2015, 02:05 PM

8,701 posts, read 14,775,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
In the World Try Atlanta Dallas Houston and Miami Who all do well in the upscale Store Dept. There aare alot of stores in those cities that Philly don't have.
This cities have nothing that isn't located in shopping malls around the city of Philadelphia. King of Prussia mall in particular has everything these cities have. That's not including Willow Grove, Cherry Hill, etc.

What Philadelphia has over these cities is a TRUE urban shopping district. Atlanta, Dallas and Houston have NOTHING like Walnut and Chestnut Streets in Philadelphia. Miami has some, but most of it is still dominated by shopping malls and outlets.

Out of all of the cities listed above, I would definitely rank Philadlephia a better shopping city. The cities in the US that are better than Philadelphia are NYC, Chicago, San Francisco, Los Angeles, and Las Vegas (although primarily in shopping malls). Philadelphia tends to be on the same level as Seattle, Washington DC and Boston.

Old 02-15-2015, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut View Post
This cities have nothing that isn't located in shopping malls around the city of Philadelphia. King of Prussia mall in particular has everything these cities have. That's not including Willow Grove, Cherry Hill, etc.

What Philadelphia has over these cities is a TRUE urban shopping district. Atlanta, Dallas and Houston have NOTHING like Walnut and Chestnut Streets in Philadelphia. Miami has some, but most of it is still dominated by shopping malls and outlets.

Out of all of the cities listed above, I would definitely rank Philadlephia a better shopping city. The cities in the US that are better than Philadelphia are NYC, Chicago, San Francisco, Los Angeles, and Las Vegas (although primarily in shopping malls). Philadelphia tends to be on the same level as Seattle, Washington DC and Boston.
That's true that they lack true urban distric but shopping is shopping now matter how you look at it. Houston Dallas Atlanta does have more upscale store offerings.

Lenox and Phipps have a few stores philly doesn't have like Carolina Herrera, Diane Von Furstenverg, Fendi Prada giuseppi Zanotti Trina Turk Rebbeca Taylor Bottega Venetta Agent Provacatuer Giorgio Armani Versace jimmy choo Valentino

The new buckhead Atlanta that just recently opened
Has stores like, Christian louboutin canali Helmut Lang Monclear 5,000sqft Dior store is opening there Tom ford will be opening there this year the Hermes store that is 4,000 sqft bigger than the one in philly. La Perla Akris Brunello Cucinelli Etro Scoop NYC Bella bag

That's just Atlanta and all its upscale offerings that don't have stores in philly

Dallas is right along with Miami almost there are like 4 Neimans in the Dallas Area
Look at all the offerings here that philly doesn't have

Highland Park Village | The Premier Shopping Experience of Dallas, Texas

NorthPark Center | High Fashion & Luxury Shopping in Dallas

Miami is one of the top 5 shopping areas in this county
Just check out Miami design distric
bal harbor
Adventura mall

This cities lack the traditional downtown shopping but the offer more upscale offerings and looking at the store directory for KOP WG and cherry hill they lack compared to Dallas Atlanta and Miami downtown Center City is nothing like Union Square San Fran or Michagen Ave in Chicago

For philly to be as large as it is it lacks compared to its competition.

But for the article to say number 4 in the world was crazy

Last edited by Staysean23; 02-15-2015 at 03:30 PM..

Old 02-15-2015, 03:47 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,262,708 times
Quote:

Give it a couple more years.Times are finally changing for Center City to becoming a very good shopping district.

Old 02-15-2015, 04:03 PM

23,816 posts, read 34,869,457 times
Quote:
That's true that they lack true urban distric but shopping is shopping now matter how you look at it. Houston Dallas Atlanta does have more upscale store offerings.

Lenox and Phipps have a few stores philly doesn't have like Carolina Herrera, Diane Von Furstenverg, Fendi Prada giuseppi Zanotti Trina Turk Rebbeca Taylor Bottega Venetta Agent Provacatuer Giorgio Armani Versace jimmy choo Valentino

Has stores like, Christian louboutin canali Helmut Lang Monclear 5,000sqft Dior store is opening there Tom ford will be opening there this year the Hermes store that is 4,000 sqft bigger than the one in philly. La Perla Akris Brunello Cucinelli Etro Scoop NYC Bella bag

That's just Atlanta and all its upscale offerings that don't have stores in philly

Dallas is right along with Miami almost there are like 4 Neimans in the Dallas Area

bal harbor
Adventura mall

This cities lack the traditional downtown shopping but the offer more upscale offerings and looking at the store directory for KOP WG and cherry hill they lack compared to Dallas Atlanta and Miami downtown Center City is nothing like Union Square San Fran or Michagen Ave in Chicago

Oh lord, now you're trying to go after Philly. Why don't you go after cities the size of Atlanta? Try the Triangle board. Atlanta & Raleigh are about the same size. Try Raleigh on the Triangle board. They're waiting for you.

Old 02-15-2015, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Oh lord, now you're trying to go after Philly. Why don't you go after cities the size of Atlanta? Try the Triangle board. Atlanta & Raleigh are about the same size. Try Raleigh on the Triangle board. They're waiting for you.
I'm not going after Philly Just telling the truth 💅💅💅

Old 02-15-2015, 05:07 PM

23,816 posts, read 34,869,457 times
Quote:
I'm not going after Philly Just telling the truth 💅💅💅
Like you think you do on the Charlotte board? I've seen you in action trying to stir things up. You must be bored. Try the Triangle board. Atlanta & Raleigh are just about the same size. Then you can compare apples to apples. Have a good time.

Old 02-15-2015, 05:10 PM

9,448 posts, read 9,477,591 times
Quote:

bal harbor
Adventura mall

First, KoP by far surpasses any other mall in the Philly area, and most in the country, including Cherry Hill. And I thoroughly looked through the offerings of the upscale Malls in Dallas and Atlanta, and I do not think KoP lacks at all compared to them. The selection of extreme upscale retail is expansive in all the centers. KoP does not have Dior, Prada and few others, but it is also anchored by 5 very high end department stores, as well as an expansion underway, with the rumors Prada, Chanel and a few others looking to set up shop in KoP.

Center City is also up and coming and continually improving, and though not on the level of some of its counterparts yet, I have high hopes over the next few years for Philly.

Old 02-15-2015, 06:09 PM

8,701 posts, read 14,775,118 times
Quote:

bal harbor
Adventura mall

First off, this is a thread talking about new retail coming to Philadelphia. This is not a thread comparing retail in Philadelphia to other cities. I agree that the list that came out ranking Philadelphia so high in world shopping is off base definitely, but it also wasn't looking at JUST chains. It took into account independently owned stores as well. One category Houston, Atlanta, Dallas and Miami SEVERELY lack in is independently owned retail stores. They're primarily chains. Philadelphia has a healthy selection of these stores throughout the city in Old City, Rittenhouse area, Washington Square West, South Street, Fabric Row in South Philadelphia, East Passyunk Avenue in South Philadelphia, Northern Liberties, Fairmount, Baltimore Avenue is West Philadelphia, Main Street in Manayunk, Germantown Avenue in Chestnut Hill, etc.

Secondly, I don't think those other cities surpass Philadelphia at all in shopping. King of Prussia itself is enough to go toe to toe with any of those cities and it is currently going a 100,000+ sq ft expansion as we speak with a ton of new high end stores planned. On top of that, these other cities have NOTHING that compares to a true shopping district like Philadelphia has along Chestnut and Walnut. As we speak, Center City Philadelphia is greatly improving on the shopping front. Last year alone saw the opening of Nordstrom Rack, Allen Edmonds, Camper, South Moon Under, Forever 21, American Eagle, Stuart Weitzman, Theory, Madewell, Michael Kors, Vince, Uniqlo, Century 21, Timberland, Vans, Suit Supply, My.Suit, etc. And there were a few more I can't remember.

The point is, KOP is expanding, and will be adding a ton of high end retailers but is already the largest mall in the country retail-square-footage-wise and will continue to get better. On top of that, Center City is pretty good for shopping as it is and continues to get better as Walnut and Chestnut continue to add more, but also Market East, which saw the addition of Century 21, and the Gallery Mall is undergoing a complete renovation, as well as the East Market development which will add over 100,000 sq feet of retail.

Because those other cities lack a true shopping district, it's hard to call them good shopping cities. Malls are malls. As far as best US shopping cities, I would rank it:

1. NYC
2. Los Angeles
3. Chicago
4. San Francisco
5. Las Vegas
6. Miami
7. Washington DC
8. Boston
9. Seattle
10. Philadelphia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia