Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2015, 03:46 PM

183 posts, read 221,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
We are all grateful that you think highly of Philly. But you are at the point that you are delusional.
KOP is dump and a boring wasteland?
Yes, I barely use my car now I live in Center City. But most of your claims here and in other posts are just out of touch with reality.
KOP is a dump. Have you been there before? Notice how there are huge parking lots everywhere and you even have to cross one to get to another part of the mall. The area nearby is completely lifeless and inaccessible to anything especially transit. The KOP stores would do much better if they picked up and moved into CC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2015, 05:48 PM

9,448 posts, read 9,471,166 times
Quote:
~THIS IS RANTING. I AM JUST FRUSTRATED BECAUSE THIS IS WHAT I CONSIDER TO BE IMPORTANT FOR ME AND WHAT PHILLY and PA IN GENERAL IS LACKING~

OK David Barton gym cancelled its occupancy to replace LA Fitness.
While I do not go to that gym, for me a thriving retail in a city is defined as how popular middle class and high-end retailers - not limited to clothing, but also furniture stores, urban collectibles stores, dry cleaner chain and gym in this case - start opening branches in the city.
As snobbish as it sounds, that is what I noticed when I moved here - the lack of nationally or internationally renowned brands.
I was so surprised when I moved here in 2010, there was no single Apple store in the city. While Miami had 3 already by then. Same with Zara and Diesel, which was wildly popular down there and in most large cities.
And I also noticed that trendy semi-luxury brands will choose Philadelphia as its last resort to open a branch. In alot of cases it happened when popularity of the brand has died down and people in general started avoiding donning the products due to every hoochie mamas and trailer trashes don the same products. Points in case is Juicy Couture and lately Michael Kors, which opened their store in Miami in 2005 while I was still there. So what is the point opening Micahel Kors in Walnut if people start avoiding them like plague now? This is just like COACH all over again.

Sorry GUYS. I dont know why but I find it VERY FRUSTRATING. Especially since my part time job is really related to this.
Why did David Barton cancel?????

And I agree with you! Philly has always been slow to develop though. Honestly though even over the past decade CC has evolved so much, and my hope is that it will continue to develop into a mini Manhattan.

But yes there is an absence of national upscale retailers here. Just like how I heard that Bloomingdales decided to go for an outlet instead of a full service store, I was like wtf.

But as others said, the close proximity to NYC and KoP, CC is slow to catch up.

Old 04-25-2015, 09:07 AM

13,257 posts, read 33,668,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_curious_urbanist View Post
KOP is a dump. Have you been there before? Notice how there are huge parking lots everywhere and you even have to cross one to get to another part of the mall. The area nearby is completely lifeless and inaccessible to anything especially transit. The KOP stores would do much better if they picked up and moved into CC.
I'm no fan of suburban sprawl but you are dead wrong about the KOP malls being a dump. They're malls and they are serving their clientele exactly the way they were built for. They've been maintained well and the people that shop there enjoy it. I get that you see yourself as Philadelphia's cheerleader, but it reflects poorly on you if you think the way to highlight Phillys attributes is to dump on places outside of CC for no reason except they are not where YOU want them to be. Let's let the reviews speak for themselves: King of Prussia Mall - King of Prussia - Reviews of King of Prussia Mall - TripAdvisor

Now, back to Philadelphia please and the OP.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 04-25-2015, 09:45 AM

14,206 posts, read 22,880,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
You realize King of Prussia Mall is one of the most successful malls in the country, right?

You realize there are like 500 high end retail stores and restaurants there, right?

You realize they are currently undergoing a $150 M expansion, right ?
He lives about 2,500 miles away from Philadelphia, so he probably doesn't realize any of that.

Old 04-25-2015, 10:22 AM

14,206 posts, read 22,880,339 times
Quote:
~THIS IS RANTING. I AM JUST FRUSTRATED BECAUSE THIS IS WHAT I CONSIDER TO BE IMPORTANT FOR ME AND WHAT PHILLY and PA IN GENERAL IS LACKING~

OK David Barton gym cancelled its occupancy to replace LA Fitness.
While I do not go to that gym, for me a thriving retail in a city is defined as how popular middle class and high-end retailers - not limited to clothing, but also furniture stores, urban collectibles stores, dry cleaner chain and gym in this case - start opening branches in the city.
As snobbish as it sounds, that is what I noticed when I moved here - the lack of nationally or internationally renowned brands.
I was so surprised when I moved here in 2010, there was no single Apple store in the city. While Miami had 3 already by then. Same with Zara and Diesel, which was wildly popular down there and in most large cities.
And I also noticed that trendy semi-luxury brands will choose Philadelphia as its last resort to open a branch. In alot of cases it happened when popularity of the brand has died down and people in general started avoiding donning the products due to every hoochie mamas and trailer trashes don the same products. Points in case is Juicy Couture and lately Michael Kors, which opened their store in Miami in 2005 while I was still there. So what is the point opening Micahel Kors in Walnut if people start avoiding them like plague now? This is just like COACH all over again.

Sorry GUYS. I dont know why but I find it VERY FRUSTRATING. Especially since my part time job is really related to this.
Retailers headquartered in other states are known to underestimate the style, sophistication and purchasing power of Pennsylvanians, at least in the major metropolitan areas. Pittsburgh had to wait until 2008 just to get a Nordstrom, but the funny thing is, it's been so successful that one upscale retailer after another has been moving into Ross Park Mall ever since. On top of that, a dying mini-mall nearby is about to undergo a major renovation with Nordstrom Rack as one of the anchors, and plans for other upscale outlets as well. There's been demand for upscale retail in the Pittsburgh area since at least the 1990s, but it took more than a decade for any such retailer to figure that out. It's a travesty that well-to-do Pittsburghers had to go to Cleveland for so long just to buy designer items. The fact that Ross Park Mall and vicinity have moved upscale so quickly proves that the problem was on the supply side all along, never the demand side. I believe that they'll soon discover the same in the city of Philadelphia.

Old 04-25-2015, 11:26 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,827,312 times
Quote:
About the Gallery.
With Council Introducing Gallery Redevelopment Bills, We Examine PREIT’s Plan | Hidden City Philadelphia
Discuss!
There are so many possibilities here.

I still lament how they won't just put normal retailers there not outlet.
We are ready for normal store.
Coradino's reasoning of "Oh we do not want to confuse customer and compete with East market development" is bogus. There are gazillions retailers out there, just don't pic the same one!
I really like his idea of recruiting local vendors. Although I have small fear that it will be wig and bootleg DVD stores all over again with nicer facade.
The whole thing looks like yet another mall again. I mean I feel zero excitement about this. But I will try to be optimistic because Century 21 seems to be working where it is.

Old 04-25-2015, 11:44 AM

13,257 posts, read 33,668,747 times
My own take as a shopper is that I like stand alone stores when it's nice weather and I'm more window shopping and maybe going to look for something specific that I know I can find at one store. However, when it's cold out I really don't want to dart from store to store going in and out, stripping off a coat, pulling it back on and maybe walking a distance to another store. For many people now, when the weather is not so great, they'll either shop on line or go to a mall. I'm guessing the majority of posters on this thread are guys while the majority of shoppers are women. Men or Women: Who Has the Most Buying Power and Why?

As a non-resident commenting, I say the more retail stores, the better in center city to keep that money right in the city, but it's going to be hard to lure suburbanites in with stores if they have more convenient ones closer to where they live.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 04-25-2015, 12:28 PM

9,448 posts, read 9,471,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
My own take as a shopper is that I like stand alone stores when it's nice weather and I'm more window shopping and maybe going to look for something specific that I know I can find at one store. However, when it's cold out I really don't want to dart from store to store going in and out, stripping off a coat, pulling it back on and maybe walking a distance to another store. For many people now, when the weather is not so great, they'll either shop on line or go to a mall. I'm guessing the majority of posters on this thread are guys while the majority of shoppers are women. Men or Women: Who Has the Most Buying Power and Why?

As a non-resident commenting, I say the more retail stores, the better in center city to keep that money right in the city, but it's going to be hard to lure suburbanites in with stores if they have more convenient ones closer to where they live.
I am a young strapping man who loves to shop

Old 04-25-2015, 12:48 PM

23,816 posts, read 34,864,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post

I lived most of my life in Cherry Hill but usually worked in Philly as well as going to college in Center City. I usually did my shopping in Center City or Haddonfield. I'm female.

When Rouse proposed the Gallery many people wanted it built using the facades of the circa 1820s buildings that were on the site. Rouse was a suburban developer. He wanted to take the wrecking ball to them. He got his way because he was going to bring mall retailers into the city who didn't want a whole storefront.

I remember the day that the mall opened. It was good that it was a first, but I always wished that the old facades were still there. It changed Market East. It was good & bad at the same time.

Old 04-25-2015, 12:52 PM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,781,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
Retailers headquartered in other states are known to underestimate the style, sophistication and purchasing power of Pennsylvanians, at least in the major metropolitan areas. Pittsburgh had to wait until 2008 just to get a Nordstrom, but the funny thing is, it's been so successful that one upscale retailer after another has been moving into Ross Park Mall ever since. On top of that, a dying mini-mall nearby is about to undergo a major renovation with Nordstrom Rack as one of the anchors, and plans for other upscale outlets as well. There's been demand for upscale retail in the Pittsburgh area since at least the 1990s, but it took more than a decade for any such retailer to figure that out. It's a travesty that well-to-do Pittsburghers had to go to Cleveland for so long just to buy designer items. The fact that Ross Park Mall and vicinity have moved upscale so quickly proves that the problem was on the supply side all along, never the demand side. I believe that they'll soon discover the same in the city of Philadelphia.
I agree. Why do these retailers always pass Philly and always think that we only deserve outlets?
My frustration is that THERE ARE clients for these brands in Philly and beyond. I, my partner and my friends, as well as my clients are some of them. And I am positive there are more out there.
When Alexander Wang did a collab with H&M, people from darn Buck County even lined up to get a dip on Chestnut Street H&M store. This means that these suburbanites know Alexander Wang. So why H&M only picked up ONE H & M store to sell the products (which were all gone in 2 hours in Chestnut location) while there are MULTIPLE H & M in PA?
Meanwhile my friends in NY and Miami did not have to line up in one H & M stores, since 2 or 3 of the stores carried the lines. It shows how H & M underestimates the buying power of residents of PA and Philly specifically.
And I agree with cpomp. Give us a full-blown Bloomie dammit! We don't need no more stinkin' Bloomie outlets, that is just like Nordtsrom Rack. It carries 80% of its merchandise made specifically for outlet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia