Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-26-2015, 07:09 AM
 
10,787 posts, read 8,827,312 times
Reputation: 3984

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I wouldn't call it "discount" with Gimbels (what later became JCPenney) as an anchor, with Wanamakers added in short order. And wasn't Sears an original tenant? In the mid-1960s, those would have been mid-market stores. Sears still is, even if it's lost touch with the market.
No, no, no. I'm talking about before that. Before Wanamakers built their store. Before Sears. Before Gimbels.
The "anchor" was Korvettes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-26-2015, 07:14 AM
 
10,787 posts, read 8,827,312 times
Reputation: 3984
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I'd bet that you're right on the Philadelphia location theory. I think that a lot of people who make decisions for locations aren't looking at things the way they used to. Center City was central. Philadelphia is not as auto-centric as many other larger metros & they just don't understand that.

I wonder how many of us actually remember when the Cherry Hill Mall was the largest mall in the country. It drew shoppers from Baltimore.
It was one of the first malls in the country. It's historic on the level that Suburban Sq in Ardmore is.

We(you and I) are probably the only ones here who know this stuff because we were around when it happened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2015, 07:45 AM
 
Location: New York City
9,448 posts, read 9,471,166 times
Reputation: 6687
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
I did not know that! Interesting tid bits!
It is similar to Aventura Mall in Miami. IT was a worse mall and now it is competing with Kop.
Ay if I only were a millionaire, I would do something this situation - put something nice on East Market and Gallery.
although if I am not mistaken Mayor Nutter et al actually pitched and promoted Philadelphia in retail convention (or whatever they call it) last year.
I would just tear it all down, fill the hole and start over lol.

It might actually be cheaper than what they are planning to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2015, 10:59 AM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
23,816 posts, read 34,864,325 times
Reputation: 10258
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
It was one of the first malls in the country. It's historic on the level that Suburban Sq in Ardmore is.

We(you and I) are probably the only ones here who know this stuff because we were around when it happened.
I think that a handful of posters are in our age group. I firmly believe that our posts on what was & how things came about are more important than our current views. I mean, really, how did a 1970s suburban mall end up on Market St? That question should have been asked long ago, in my opinion. I know that when I was younger I asked those type of questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2015, 02:00 PM
 
Location: Germantown, Philadelphia
14,395 posts, read 9,315,512 times
Reputation: 10712
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
No, no, no. I'm talking about before that. Before Wanamakers built their store. Before Sears. Before Gimbels.
The "anchor" was Korvettes.
Okay, gotcha.

The closest I ever got to a Korvette store was when my grandparents drove me to St. Louis and we passed one heading up Florissant Road to visit relatives in...Ferguson. (This was the 1960s, shortly after Ferguson became heavily black because Lambert Airport expansion wiped out the next-door, historically black suburb of Kinloch. Historical trivia: The 1948 Supreme Court case Shelley v. Kramer, which ruled racially restrictive covenants unenforceable, involved a black family who sought to buy a home in Ferguson.)

There were none in Kansas City.

So KofP "upscaled" itself even before the Court got built, then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2015, 02:10 PM
 
Location: Germantown, Philadelphia
14,395 posts, read 9,315,512 times
Reputation: 10712
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I think that a handful of posters are in our age group. I firmly believe that our posts on what was & how things came about are more important than our current views. I mean, really, how did a 1970s suburban mall end up on Market St? That question should have been asked long ago, in my opinion. I know that when I was younger I asked those type of questions.
Did you ask Edmund Bacon?

The Gallery is actually a watered-down version of his vision of a redeveloped Market Street East.

Like just about all of Bacon's other grand visions, something got lost in the translation, but you can see how his never-fully-realized version of the Market East redevelopment plan evolved in the drawings on pages 280 to 289 of his book Design of Cities (revised edition, 1974).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2015, 02:26 PM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
23,816 posts, read 34,864,325 times
Reputation: 10258
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Did you ask Edmund Bacon?

The Gallery is actually a watered-down version of his vision of a redeveloped Market Street East.

Like just about all of Bacon's other grand visions, something got lost in the translation, but you can see how his never-fully-realized version of the Market East redevelopment plan evolved in the drawings on pages 280 to 289 of his book Design of Cities (revised edition, 1974).
No I didn't ask Edmund Bacon.

City officials were in a tizzy that Center City was losing retail sales to the Cherry Hill Mall. They never stopped to realize that the sales went both ways. Why worry about the Cherry Hill Mall? It was accessible by public transportation.

The Rizzo administration went to the same Rouse who built the Cherry Hill Mall & Echelon Mall to build the Gallery. The Gallery was a suburban mall with a food court. ASAP, after the Gallery opened, Rouse put a food court into the Cherry Hill Mall then the rest of his malls. This was also the same Rouse who built Columbia, MD. In other words zero urban experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2015, 07:44 AM
 
Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,781,820 times
Reputation: 2610
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Did you ask Edmund Bacon?

The Gallery is actually a watered-down version of his vision of a redeveloped Market Street East.

Like just about all of Bacon's other grand visions, something got lost in the translation, but you can see how his never-fully-realized version of the Market East redevelopment plan evolved in the drawings on pages 280 to 289 of his book Design of Cities (revised edition, 1974).
Yikes? How far ago was the Gallery? 1974...my parents were still in high school
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2015, 09:06 AM
 
10,787 posts, read 8,827,312 times
Reputation: 3984
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Okay, gotcha.

The closest I ever got to a Korvette store was when my grandparents drove me to St. Louis and we passed one heading up Florissant Road to visit relatives in...Ferguson. (This was the 1960s, shortly after Ferguson became heavily black because Lambert Airport expansion wiped out the next-door, historically black suburb of Kinloch. Historical trivia: The 1948 Supreme Court case Shelley v. Kramer, which ruled racially restrictive covenants unenforceable, involved a black family who sought to buy a home in Ferguson.)

There were none in Kansas City.

So KofP "upscaled" itself even before the Court got built, then.
As I remember it(look.... this is coming up to 50 years ago!!! lol), the Wanamakers store was the first hint that it was really going to change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2015, 09:16 AM
 
10,787 posts, read 8,827,312 times
Reputation: 3984
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
Yikes? How far ago was the Gallery? 1974...my parents were still in high school

LOL!!!! I had been working, in my career, for four years already by 1974!

Also the Center City commuter train connector tunnel, that you probably think has always been there, was not there yet.

And, "Rocky" had not been released.

That's how old the Gallery is.

Someone said it should all be torn down and started fresh. I agree with that. The renderings just made me go, "They're gonna make the same mistakes! It's still a bloody mall!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top