Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2013, 08:23 PM

421 posts, read 839,308 times

Advertisements

To the poster who suggested Target replace Kmart at the Gallery, that's very possible because due to the financial troubles of Kmart/Sears, the company is willing to close up to a certain number of stores if other companies bid on Kmart or Sears store sites, even if the Kmart or Sears is making good money. It definitely was strange when Kmart opened at the Gallery, because that space had started as a Gimbels (a department store chain much like JCPenney) in the 70's. And in the 80's, a company called Stern's bought many Gimbels stores, also including the Granite Run one, but Stern's didn't last long in these locations either. Then the Clover discount division of Strawbridge's took this part of the Gallery, but Clover went out of business in the 90's when Strawbridge's decided it would be more worth the money to invest in former John Wanamaker department stores they bought. Most Clover stores became Kohl's, but not this one because I guess Kohl's only wants to be in big-box buildings with their own parking. It would make a lot more sense if the Clover here had become a Sears instead of Kmart, and those two were separate back in 1997 when Clover closed. I'm surprised downtown Philly has a Macy's but not a Sears. But the mall on Cottman Avenue has the city's only Sears store as well as the only other Macy's in Philly.

Anyway, I don't really get why Kmart still is in business at all. Most of their old 70's stores are complete dumps now (not like they ever were great), and most of their more modern, better stores have the misfortune of being very close to Walmart stores. To be honest I think the geography of Kmart store locations acts as a "shield" against Walmart, and is all that really keeps Kmart going. I say this because in cities like Houston with a lot of open space, Walmart was able to build all the stores they pleased, and always was able to build from the ground up. But in cities like Philly, land was all used up by the 80's, making it much harder for Walmart to enter. Therefore most Kmart stores from the 70's are still going because they are "landlocked". Sometime in the next decade I imagine all the 70's Kmart stores closing, and the more modern Kmart stores (mostly from the 90's) being bought by Walmart. The craft store chain Hobby Lobby from Texas bought a lot of 70's Kmart stores that closed way back in 1994, so maybe they can do that now here. But I think the presence of AC Moore has kept Hobby Lobby out of our area. Both these chains compete with Michaels and Jo-Ann Fabrics, but the two are afraid to face each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2013, 10:00 PM

8,701 posts, read 14,775,118 times
Allen Edmonds officially opening at 1736 Chestnut on February 1st

Confirmed: Allen Edmonds Opening in Center City in Spring 2013 - Storecasting - Racked Philly

Old 01-10-2013, 10:02 PM

8,701 posts, read 14,775,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wardwhirlboromarlpool1955 View Post
To the poster who suggested Target replace Kmart at the Gallery, that's very possible because due to the financial troubles of Kmart/Sears, the company is willing to close up to a certain number of stores if other companies bid on Kmart or Sears store sites, even if the Kmart or Sears is making good money. It definitely was strange when Kmart opened at the Gallery, because that space had started as a Gimbels (a department store chain much like JCPenney) in the 70's. And in the 80's, a company called Stern's bought many Gimbels stores, also including the Granite Run one, but Stern's didn't last long in these locations either. Then the Clover discount division of Strawbridge's took this part of the Gallery, but Clover went out of business in the 90's when Strawbridge's decided it would be more worth the money to invest in former John Wanamaker department stores they bought. Most Clover stores became Kohl's, but not this one because I guess Kohl's only wants to be in big-box buildings with their own parking. It would make a lot more sense if the Clover here had become a Sears instead of Kmart, and those two were separate back in 1997 when Clover closed. I'm surprised downtown Philly has a Macy's but not a Sears. But the mall on Cottman
Because of Philadelphia's extreme density and lack of space, it makes it difficult for Big Box Stores such as Sears, Walmart, Target, etc. to open up within the city limits because there is not much room for their big sq footage formats. Now that these retailers are trying city style development formats such as City-Target and a city format of Walmart seen in D.C., these retailers are now and/or will be coming to Philadelphia city limits.

Old 01-10-2013, 10:12 PM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,782,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Because of Philadelphia's extreme density and lack of space, it makes it difficult for Big Box Stores such as Sears, Walmart, Target, etc. to open up within the city limits because there is not much room for their big sq footage formats. Now that these retailers are trying city style development formats such as City-Target and a city format of Walmart seen in D.C., these retailers are now and/or will be coming to Philadelphia city limits.
HOpe they dont close KMart. I hope they will have Target and KMart....

Old 01-11-2013, 12:29 AM

3,266 posts, read 5,678,336 times
Philly doesn't need another target or Walmart.
At least get that one Walmart and its parking lot off of the Delaware waterfront first!

Old 01-11-2013, 12:36 AM

3,266 posts, read 5,678,336 times
Also, Strawbridge & Clothier was bought by May Dept Stores in the 90's (Who decided to drop the "& Clothier" and close the Clovers), which in turn was then promptly bought by Macy's.

Old 01-11-2013, 12:59 AM

3,391 posts, read 8,816,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
Philly doesn't need another target or Walmart.
At least get that one Walmart and its parking lot off of the Delaware waterfront first!
The Columbus Blvd Walmart was recently remodeled and expanded into a super Walmart and it is much improved over the horror that used to be there. I believe it is now able to handle the CC and S Philly business on it's own. It seems to me that Walmart has Philadelphia covered pretty well. The next one that needs a makeover is Cheltenham. That Walmart is no better than a Kmart now. South Philly proved that it is possible for a well run Walmart to overcome both a horrible client base and a horrible employee base.

Old 01-11-2013, 04:01 PM

I'm surprised you have a problem with the Walmart in Cheltenham (actually Wyncote) because it's much newer than the run down South Philly one. Interesting you compared it to Kmart though, because it started as a Caldor store in the 90's, then became a Kmart in 2000, but the Kmart closed in 2002 when they went bankrupt. Walmart moved in at the same time as they were buying a lot of closed Bradlees stores. And they took the closed Ames in Bristol, which ironically also started as a Caldor.

And to whoever implied Walmart and Target don't have any stores inside the Philadelphia city limits, actually Walmart has three and Target has four. Walmart has one store in South Philly and two in Northeast Philly, and Target has one store in South Philly (which ironically was both Caldor and Bradlees before Target), one in West Philly near Bala Cynwyd, and two in northeast Philly: one on Roosevelt which used to be a Target "Greatland" in the 90's, and the newer one on Cottman near Sears and Macy's. They also have stores close to the city limits in both Cheltenham and Abington.

Old 01-11-2013, 05:03 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,239,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wardwhirlboromarlpool1955 View Post
I'm surprised you have a problem with the Walmart in Cheltenham (actually Wyncote) because it's much newer than the run down South Philly one. Interesting you compared it to Kmart though, because it started as a Caldor store in the 90's, then became a Kmart in 2000, but the Kmart closed in 2002 when they went bankrupt. Walmart moved in at the same time as they were buying a lot of closed Bradlees stores. And they took the closed Ames in Bristol, which ironically also started as a Caldor.

And to whoever implied Walmart and Target don't have any stores inside the Philadelphia city limits, actually Walmart has three and Target has four. Walmart has one store in South Philly and two in Northeast Philly, and Target has one store in South Philly (which ironically was both Caldor and Bradlees before Target), one in West Philly near Bala Cynwyd, and two in northeast Philly: one on Roosevelt which used to be a Target "Greatland" in the 90's, and the newer one on Cottman near Sears and Macy's. They also have stores close to the city limits in both Cheltenham and Abington.
There's another one on Castor Avenue in the Bridesburg/Port Richmond area.

Old 01-11-2013, 06:46 PM

Another what? Is it a Walmart or is it a Target?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia