Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2015, 10:56 AM

9,448 posts, read 9,471,166 times

Advertisements

I was walking down Walnut Street at lunch and noticed that Aldo is replacing the old Coach space. Does this mean Aldo in Liberty Place is closing??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2015, 02:20 PM

17 posts, read 31,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I was walking down Walnut Street at lunch and noticed that Aldo is replacing the old Coach space. Does this mean Aldo in Liberty Place is closing??
Wow is that boring news. Boring retailer (not even new to market) wasting a great location.

Old 05-07-2015, 02:16 PM

23,816 posts, read 34,864,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
I have never seen a thread as FIGHTING READY as Philly side threads THANKS FOR NOT DEMEANING MY SPACIFICS WITH SIGHTS. I remember the Chicago vs. Philly threads. OMG enough said.... any one who does not use the words" GREAT, AWESOME, NEW THIS AND THAT, BESTING, OVERTAKING for PHILLY ARE NOT WELCOME?
Only Boasting ON BEHALF OF PHILLY PEOPLE ARE WELCOME. OTHER THREADS THAT QUESTION YOU ALL COME IN SAY " How Dare You" think anything but PRAISE TO PHILLY ?MYOU CRY LET THE THREAD DIE. And berate the OP if they were too Questionable or not praising on Philly?

Apparently Philly tourist sights did not get the Memo ADVERTISE PHILLY'S Traditional shopping street too? I can't find one that does? I find advertising GREAT SHOPPING IN MALLS, GALLERIAS AND SUCH.

I hope you can acknowledge also, that 300,000 Row homes Is Huge and not get Defensive if you love them all. I did not exaggerate.

You can get back to a New Store coming in a Mall and NOT NEXT TO... OLE FORMER WANNAMAKERS now MACY'S
What is your problem? A thread about retail does not need your hatred of row houses. Retail does not equal row house.

It has been mentioned in this thread that there used to be upscale retail on Chestnut street It's there again. On the other hand, I suspect that you've read little or none of the thread in your haste to post about your hatred of row houses.

Old 05-07-2015, 03:14 PM

9,426 posts, read 13,113,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
What is your problem? A thread about retail does not need your hatred of row houses. Retail does not equal row house.

It has been mentioned in this thread that there used to be upscale retail on Chestnut street It's there again. On the other hand, I suspect that you've read little or none of the thread in your haste to post about your hatred of row houses.
Unless it's actively misleading prospective residents, I'd save my breath. Anyone with eyes can see Philly is a rowhouse city. Those who hate that aspect are free to stay far away.

Old 05-08-2015, 07:27 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,827,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post

Get this. He spends more time here than he does on the Chicago board/threads. The guy has spent maybe the equivalent of 24 hrs here and he's ready to complain about the housing and what we should do about OUR city.
Afterall it's supposed to look exactly like Chicago. Lol

Old 05-08-2015, 08:22 AM

23,816 posts, read 34,864,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Get this. He spends more time here than he does on the Chicago board/threads. The guy has spent maybe the equivalent of 24 hrs here and he's ready to complain about the housing and what we should do about OUR city.

2 cities with totally different histories, but they should look alike.

Old 05-08-2015, 07:17 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,300,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
First I will address this comment..... I basically only started coming onto the Philly side of threads. When that "The_Curious_Urbanist" guy..... started going in city vs. city threads, and interjecting ... Philly is best at, whatever cities were the topic? Then he began creating threads too. Then Chicago came in as Philly surpassing Downtown Philly. Some denoting Philly's Rise BUT CHICAGO'S FALLING??? I too the Defensive for Chicago.

Again those BOASTING threads especially by that "The_Curious_Urbanist" Philly #1 , A Roll model for,
Thread ..... "Is philly more Urban then Chicago". "Philly downtown surpasses Chicago".GOT ME COMING IN .....AND WOW THE WELCOME...

I certainly mentioned My lack of Love for Tight.... Rows on alley sized streets IN THEM THREADS especially and many built with the Idea the Masses did not need a tree or grass? They could find a Park. Then some dared to say Philly isn't just about Row homes? But I use to think....WOW CHICAGO has 80,000 Bungalow in its common housing built between 1910 to 1940. To be 1/3 rd of the city proper's housing. Not including its older suburbs.

BUT MY EYES POPPED OUT .... WHEN A SIGHT" Green Philly" BOASTED A WOOPING, 300,000 ROW HOMES IN PHILLY. 60% of the then is accurate. SO IT IS THE ROW HOME CAPITOL. I merely came across that sight while replying here to someone saying... Philly was more the just Row homes? Well yes BUT I COULDN'T RESIST THAT SIGHT OF 300,000.

It is not my fault some created threads I say and entered..." Something everyone keeps saying about Philly".... THE QUESTION WAS THEY SAY.... NICE PLACE TO VISIT? BUT I WOULDN'T WANT TO LIVE THERE? WHY SHOULDN'T I SAY.... ONE REASON COULD BE MANY.... DO NOT ....SEE ROW HOUSING AS THEIR PREFERED CHOICE? ......OH THE HATE I GOT.... HEY I GAVE A POSSIBLE REASON FOR THE OP's QUESTION....

NOW... Why I'm not commenting in a lot of Chicago side threads? First lets list what Philly threads have Chicago threads do not??
CHICAGO SIDE OF C-D THREADS Most are just about "Moving to Chicago question ones", "Student housing", "Finding work in their field in Chicago",

I'm away from there 20 years, but I still visit yearly. But to give where to live advise? I did a few times. Recommended a Hostel to stay etc. THERE ARE NO BOASTING THREADS ON CHICAGO'S ARRIVAL.... IT DID THAT LONG AGO. No new RETIL COMING? It has all the Big guys already.

BUT OTHER Cities still have sights on overtaking Chicago, or more this and that, ... since they rule out NYC and LA. I comment in them if I see THEIR CITY VS CHICAGO . Like Miami, Houston ,San Francisco, Toronto, Vancouver, DC.... AND PHILLY.

But YOUR POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD SAYS I'M TALKING ROWS HERE???? I Replied to PHILLY IS NOT ABOUT ROW HOMES..... WITH IN HOUSING IT SURE IS... why and the sight declaring again...300,000.

And your answer that I think Philly should look EXACYLY LIKE CHICAGO(your words) NO. But should Philly have done more unattached singles, less housing in sub-divided streets to have Rows in Alley size streets? FOR SURE ..... and SHOULD HAVE AVOIDED ALTERING WILLIAM PENNS STREET GRID dividing it to get more Rows on more streets..ALSO... Philly kept building Row homes, well into the 20th century. Other cities.. even Boston left Rows then. Their Triple Decker's came in.

I even noted and showed pictures of NEW High-End Townhouses around Downtown Chicago now. But it could be the opposite of what a Row Home Capitol denotes? For most of its history.

The following are some sentences from this sight on Philly Rows and Why post-Colonial period it continued...
http://philadelphiaencyclopedia.org/archive/row-houses/

As ambitious colonists began to break up the big city blocks of William Penn’s “greene country towne” with secondary streets, alleys, and courts, speculative developers and builders constructed rows of houses that matched varied budgets and taste.

However, Philadelphia’s unique combination of original city planning, expansive geography, and the simultaneous trend of speculative building meant street (or court)-front land was obtainable by builders or modest investors at an easier rate compared to other major urban centers. As a result, Philadelphia’s streets, alleys, and courts were lined with relatively homogenous structures of predictable form and design.

This really took off with tight plain Rows in the Very early 20th century. Other cities chose singles. Maybe ALL LOVE every Row home block in Philly? I can TELLL YOU EXACTLY? WHAT STYLES OF CHICGO NEIGHBORHOODS ARE MY LEAST FAVORITE??? I surely won't deny I love ever kind. But over Rows yes....

Last edited by steeps; 05-08-2015 at 07:53 PM..

Old 05-08-2015, 07:32 PM

9,448 posts, read 9,471,166 times
Lets get back on topic!

Anyone else excited that Burberry is returning to CC???

Old 05-08-2015, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Lets get back on topic!

Anyone else excited that Burberry is returning to CC???
Yes, given that they were on Walnut St for about 30 years in their previous location.

Old 05-08-2015, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
First I will address this comment..... I basically only started coming onto the Philly side of threads. When that "The_Curious_Urbanist" guy..... started going in city vs. city threads, and interjecting ... Philly is best at, whatever cities were the topic? Then he began creating threads too. Then Chicago came in as Philly surpassing Downtown Philly. Some denoting Philly's Rise BUT CHICAGO'S FALLING??? I too the Defensive for Chicago.

Again those BOASTING threads especially by that "The_Curious_Urbanist" Philly #1 , A Roll model for,
Thread ..... "Is philly more Urban then Chicago". "Philly downtown surpasses Chicago".GOT ME COMING IN .....AND WOW THE WELCOME...

[.....]
That poster is a troll that is "known" to long time folks on city-data. He/she had used other names in the past, has never lived in the Philly area, apparently, and resides in San Jose, CA. Of course he/she denied the later. In typical troll fashion, they get banned, change names, and start their " thing" again.

The Philly boasting was just baiting people to react. It worked, obviously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia