Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 07:04 PM

1 posts, read 4,974 times

Advertisements

Am I asking for too much? I've lived in Philly my whole life and at this point, I'm looking to settle down and start a family. But where are my potential mates? I believe God will send him, but at least I can be in the vicinity. I don't do the bar/club scene and my church is in Reading. Where should I start?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 11:16 AM

640 posts, read 1,295,410 times
hmmm www.pof.com or www.okcupid.com free dating sites

Old 11-30-2012, 01:37 PM

2,502 posts, read 4,435,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelMelBee View Post
Am I asking for too much? I've lived in Philly my whole life and at this point, I'm looking to settle down and start a family. But where are my potential mates? I believe God will send him, but at least I can be in the vicinity. I don't do the bar/club scene and my church is in Reading. Where should I start?
If your church is in Reading (are you telling me you cannot find a compatible church in Philly?) then your matches will be in Reading. Get ready to put some serious miles on your car...

Church-going or Christian men don't "hang out" in any one place. There are no Christian nightclubs that I'm aware of. Christian men do go out, have drinks, like to dance and meet women, even watch sports on TV. If you're looking for single men, in large numbers, why wouldn't you continue to do the bar/club scene? I'm not saying you have to be a sleaze - maintain your own standards of behavior. But how else will you have a chance to meet large numbers of single men, except through recommendations of friends and co-workers?

Old 11-30-2012, 02:16 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,166,799 times
I don't know how active this is in Philly compared to DC but meetup.com is a good source to find groups of like-minded individuals of various interests. I agree that there will be no specific place where Christian AA's in Philly will tend to hang out besides their own respective churches. Perhaps it is time to investigate churches in the city as a secondary worship option.

Old 11-30-2012, 04:20 PM

2,471 posts, read 4,018,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelMelBee View Post
switch to another church here in philly, join one of their charities, get involved. I'm sure you'll meet other single christian men there.

going to church in reading when you live in philly is crazy. christians believe god is everywhere... not just reading... in fact reading may be one of the last places i'd expect to find god. why waste your time?

Old 12-01-2012, 12:41 PM

2,502 posts, read 4,435,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
switch to another church here in philly, join one of their charities, get involved. I'm sure you'll meet other single christian men there.
Another thing, when you join a church in Philly, don't go there to meet men - that smells of desperation. Go there to meet the other women. Become friends with the women who have been members of the church for a while, and can give you the heads-up on who to avoid. Let them introduce you to the quality men.

Nothing worse than a woman with no female friends - as a guy, that's a huge red flag.

Old 12-01-2012, 03:27 PM

2,664 posts, read 5,634,802 times
do they have to be black and christian
if no then wadaP

Old 12-01-2012, 06:54 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,697,111 times
I would say in Philadelphia it would be in Center City, Mt. Airy, the Oak Lanes and Wynnefield area. As for the suburbs I have no idea. Try going to some bars in the areas of the city I listed and see what happens. Maybe bring a friend or two to go up to a group of men and make it easier to break the ice.

Was just shopping on Walnut tonight and saw a bunch of well dressed professional African American males out shopping... I would assume these guys live/work/play in Center City. Just a hunch.

Old 12-01-2012, 07:32 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,897,412 times
Try Christian Mingle.. The commercial says " Everybody's waiting on God & God's saying.. Take the first step."
LOL!

Also you are free to visit other churches in the city and maybe attend a conference, shut in prayer, bible study, singles ministry events, etc;. You don't have to join but you can fellowship, make new friends, and grow spiritually. If there's a husband for you in those circles, then trust me he'll find you. ��

Old 12-02-2012, 09:17 AM

2,932 posts, read 5,421,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
Another thing, when you join a church in Philly, don't go there to meet men - that smells of desperation. Go there to meet the other women. Become friends with the women who have been members of the church for a while, and can give you the heads-up on who to avoid. Let them introduce you to the quality men.
I think this is excellent advice. We can never have too many friends...I'm sure any new female friends you make at church will have single male friends/brothers/cousins, etc. Maybe they'll be kind enough to introduce you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia