U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2007, 05:26 PM

9 posts, read 24,856 times

Advertisements

We are looking to relocate in the near future and I was wondering about Downingtown. We are a younger couple with a son in elementary school. Does Downingtown have good schools and safe neighborhoods? Also activities like soccer and boy scouts are something we'd like to have access to.

Any info is appreciated!!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2007, 06:55 PM

4,927 posts, read 13,303,977 times
The town of Downingtown itself is probably 250 years old and it might show its age. The surrounding hills are very nice and filling up fast with new developments. Places like Exton,Chester Springs,Lionville,Uwchlan, East Bradford,Caln Township are beautiful.

The area is growing pretty quickly and has very good schools and excellent soccer programs. Downingtown West High School was ranked #1 in soccer in the entire Philadelphia region in both boys and girls programs.

Very nice area.

Old 10-14-2007, 08:11 PM

2,310 posts, read 1,810,306 times
I think Owen J Roberts schools are better...

Old 10-14-2007, 08:53 PM

13,008 posts, read 30,714,183 times
Why do you say that twinmma? I mean we all like to think that our own schools are the best, but it's actually better if people like different places and have their own priorities. If you go by the numbers, Schools, High School, Public Schools, School District, Public High Schools - SchoolMatters rates Downingtown pretty well, better then Owen J. Roberts anyway.

We lived in Downingtown for four years (just outside the borough) and very much enjoyed it. I liked the small town feel. There's an awesome fourth of July celebration that the whole town participates in. Yes, it's a place full of sprawl but I think it's also a nice place to raise a family.

Old 10-15-2007, 07:08 AM

I too lived in DOwnington, so I have experienced both. I just liked Owen J ROberts better...And, I don't know if the data the website you gave is reporting correctly. If you go to Owen J Roberts district page and read through their stats, they are much higher than what this site is reporting.
And, this is just my opinion.

Last edited by ShannonMilligan; 10-15-2007 at 07:56 AM..

Old 10-15-2007, 07:59 AM

Oh, and I must add that I didn't find Downingtown to be unsafe, but I sure as heck didn't find it the safest spot in Chester County. Personally, I like West Chester, Exton, Chester Springs, E Coventry...But that is my taste. I like something a little more...I don't know the word. Downington is older to me and the other places I mentioned have much newer sections and stores(aside from the new construction they are putting in the middle of no where in downingtown. We looked at those homes and didn't like them, again our taste.

Old 10-15-2007, 10:59 AM

13,008 posts, read 30,714,183 times
Fair enough twinmma. We also lived in Garnet Valley School district and I liked that better and like our area of Lehigh county even more but the OP was asking if Downingtown had good schools, if it was safe, etc. It has all that, right?

Old 10-15-2007, 11:45 AM

Lehigh county IS beautiful, I must say. If I could pick anywhere in PA to live, I think it would be State College, but that is a little Penn State talking, lol!

Old 05-19-2008, 08:38 PM

8 posts, read 51,194 times
Here's the real deal: OJ Roberts is Pottstown, therefore you will have a different element/demographic in that community. D'town IS a better school but I still get annoyed when I hear that it is being called a great school district.

A good example of a great SD is: TE, Council Rock, Unionville. Everything else pales in comparison. However, I'm sure some kids in the Coatsville SD get into Princeton as well. May not be that many of them, however.

Chester Springs has an excellent school called the Waldorf school. It is far superior than anything else in the area. Still not as good as Agnes Irwin and Baldwin.

Old 05-19-2008, 09:51 PM

4,927 posts, read 13,303,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewmainline View Post

A good example of a great SD is: TE, Council Rock, Unionville. Everything else pales in comparison.
Actually Unionville and Council Rock pale in comparison to Lower Merion, Radnor and TE. Thats not to take anything away from Unionville and CR as they are very fine school districts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia