Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 10:41 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,886,528 times

Advertisements

Yeah I figured. I tell her she has no idea what a sketchy area looks like haha, she thinks Oakland in Pittsburgh is a very bad place (its one of the better areas). But thanks for the clarification.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2012, 11:11 PM

932 posts, read 1,933,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
Yeah I figured. I tell her she has no idea what a sketchy area looks like haha, she thinks Oakland in Pittsburgh is a very bad place (its one of the better areas). But thanks for the clarification.
Hah drop her off in my old hood, that'll show her some sketchy real quick!

Old 12-11-2012, 02:21 PM

756 posts, read 2,111,611 times
The Bensalem and Bristol area feels more like part of NJ more than it does of PA.

I think it's because of the flatness, strip plazas, malls, Indian grocery stores and proximity to Burlington.

On the other hand, crossing from SJ over the Commodore Barry Bridge into PA, it clearly feels like one is entering another state.

Old 12-11-2012, 02:26 PM

9,316 posts, read 12,911,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avg12 View Post
The Bensalem and Bristol area feels more like part of NJ more than it does of PA.

I think it's because of the flatness, strip plazas, malls, Indian grocery stores and proximity to Burlington.

On the other hand, crossing from SJ over the Commodore Barry Bridge, it clearly feels like one is entering another state.
Why?

Old 12-11-2012, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avg12 View Post

On the other hand, crossing from SJ over the Commodore Barry Bridge into PA, it clearly feels like one is entering another state.
TBF you could probably say the same thing about Hatfield or Montgomeryville, perhaps minus the flat part.

Old 12-11-2012, 04:53 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,790,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
TBF you could probably say the same thing about Hatfield or Montgomeryville, perhaps minus the flat part.

or just about any suburb in pa or NJ.

Old 12-11-2012, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
or just about any suburb in pa or NJ.
NJ has a lot more sprawlburbs, but this is fair comparing apples to apples, though NJ is distinctly more Indian for the most part.

Old 12-11-2012, 09:09 PM

756 posts, read 2,111,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
I feel Montgomeryville/Hatfield has a very much PA feeling, and doesn't resemble anyplace in NJ. Perhaps it's because that area is remote and the roads like 202 are rather windy to that area.

When I travel through areas in Malvern, Paoli, Newtown Square and Media, all of these areas look vastly different than towns in NJ across the DE River. While there is Haddonfield and Princeton, these towns are more atypical.

Along with it not being as flat, and there being hills and more windy roads, perhaps it's because the architecture for basics like shopping centers off are nicer. And likely fewer vacancies and fewer budget motels.

The dense urban areas vary too. In NJ, it's often outright ghetto and poor. The nicer and not overdeveloped areas of NJ like Medford are woodsy and have a Pine Barren feel, but it isn't like the nice suburbs in SE PA either.

Last edited by avg12; 12-11-2012 at 09:21 PM..

Old 12-12-2012, 02:15 PM

1,567 posts, read 3,101,597 times
I think it's the difference between Coastal Plain (South Jersey, parts of Lower Bucks) and Piedmont (most of the PA suburbs).

Old 11-11-2013, 12:24 AM

93 posts, read 174,952 times
Sorry to bump an old thread, interested in finding out more about Bensalem

Would the area around Street Road and Hulmeville Road be considered a nicer area? A sketchier area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia