Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 11:07 PM

2,664 posts, read 5,632,660 times

Advertisements

why is philly way cheaper than other major east coast cities? (NY, DC, Boston)

Old 12-10-2012, 07:08 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,155,314 times
Simply put: Washington is the Capital of the Free World, Boston is the "Capital" of New England and New York is the Capital of "Everything Else." The Philadelphia area certainly has a lot to offer but it can't really compete with those "titles" enough to drive up the cost of living. That said, Northeastern/Mid-Atlantic metros generally have a higher COL than most everywhere else in the US besides coastal California and the Pacific Northwest because there are so many notable cities within a day's drive on I-95.

Old 12-10-2012, 07:45 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,923,705 times
Philadelphia is very well priced and it is all organic, unlike DC and NYC or even Boston to an extent (being the Capital of the State and benefiting from the College bubble). It is very representative of the market here. It is my opinion however that Boston, NYC and DC (especially) are highly inflated and will come back down to reality over the next decade. The financial free for all in NYC has been slowly dying since 2007, the defense contractor/Government bubble free for all in DC will not last much longer. I could see Philadelphia and Boston being the premiere East Coast cities in the decades to come, with DC and NYC taking a backseat to real honest economic growth.

I know I would like to own as many properties in Philly as I can get my hands on as I truly believe Philadelphia and Boston/NYC/DC will meet in the middle in terms of cost of living and home values over the next decade.

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 12-10-2012 at 08:01 AM..

Old 12-10-2012, 08:33 AM

283 posts, read 607,009 times
Philadelphia is currently experiencing slow growth and just turned around its population loss. Pennsylvania's high corporate taxes and Philadelphia's Business Privelege Taxes among other detterents like wage taxes make for a tough case for rapid expansion. Every place follows the rules of supply and demand. That said, I think Philadelphia's affordability is overstated too. Places like North Philadelphia pull down the median home price. Expensive neighborhoods like Rittenhouse, Washington Square West, etc. have almost always been expensive (some exceptions like Northern Liberties and Society Hill). A reasonably sized home in expensive neighborhoods can still go for $500K and up. You can't get into a rowhouse on the fringes of Center City less than $300K. If you're willing to move out of the core, Philadelphia is affordable - the NE and NW neighborhoods are a good value.

Old 12-10-2012, 09:14 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,648,898 times
Philadelphia has had a lot of downward pressure on its real estate due to population loss, but also specifically from the relative high levels of obsolete factory workers' housing leftover from the manufacturing era, which has led to high levels of chronic abandonment and demolition.
It's turning around, though.

But we should note in this thread that the third largest city on the east coast, after NYC and Philly, is Baltimore. Not Boston or DC.
And Baltimore, which has had similar fortunes as Philly, has generally been cheaper than Philly.

Old 12-10-2012, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
Philadelphia has had a lot of downward pressure on its real estate due to population loss, but also specifically from the relative high levels of obsolete factory workers' housing leftover from the manufacturing era, which has led to high levels of chronic abandonment and demolition.
It's turning around, though.

But we should note in this thread that the third largest city on the east coast, after NYC and Philly, is Baltimore. Not Boston or DC.
And Baltimore, which has had similar fortunes as Philly, has generally been cheaper than Philly.
theres a lot of abandoned areas in north jers, but it doesnt make anyth cheap, even the ghetto is pretty expensive
btw dc is third largest now at 634k 8 states change positions in U.S. population standings - The Business Journals from what i read on dc forums, bmore is not that cheap anymore due to dc people moving there for cheaper housing, it might be more expensive than philly now

Old 12-10-2012, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleSchoolFool View Post
theres a lot of abandoned areas in north jers, but it doesnt make anyth cheap, even the ghetto is pretty expensive
btw dc is third largest now at 634k 8 states change positions in U.S. population standings - The Business Journals from what i read on dc forums, bmore is not that cheap anymore due to dc people moving there for cheaper housing, it might be more expensive than philly now
I stand corrected on B'more. I hadn't checked the latest population numbers on DC - I knew it had grown and Baltimore had shrunk (again), but I guess they finally switched places this census. It is still bigger than Boston though! lol

I would be a bit surprised if Baltimore real estate was more expensive than Philly now, as Philly has been going up rather dramatically in recent years. But I don't actively follow Baltimore R.E., so maybe it is.

Re North Jersey: I generally don't think you should really use NYC Metro real estate prices as a normative for price comparisons. Aside from the whole suburbs-vs-city thing, there are just way too many crazy factors driving up the price of real estate around here.
Also I don't think the scale of the abandonment in Philly, combined with the large areas of tiny obsolete 19th century worker houses that essentially no one wants anymore, is all that similar to the situation in much of North Jersey. Though if you look at properties in actual cities in North Jersey that experienced major population loss and abandonment due to suburbanization and loss of industry, they are pretty darned cheap, too.

Old 12-10-2012, 11:19 AM

itd be interesting to see stats on whether more philly people move to the nyc area or more nyc people move to philly these days

Old 12-10-2012, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleSchoolFool View Post
itd be interesting to see stats on whether more philly people move to the nyc area or more nyc people move to philly these days
Yeah, definitely. Especially if the stats also included things like age, income, profession, etc.
Both cities are growing.

Old 12-10-2012, 01:47 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,775,273 times
I just read it recently but I don't remember where..... The only metros with more expensive housing than Philadelphia metro are D.C. Boston, N.Y. and the big 3 in California. We even beat Chicago and Portland and Seattle. And don't forget Philly's metro has never stopped growing and continues to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia