Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 05:34 AM

1,793 posts, read 3,350,353 times

Advertisements

Any thoughts on the impact to the city as a result of enormous school cuts coming? Something like 37-44 actual building closures and 17,000 students rerouted. Parents, who were not in the loop for this decision obviously , are furious. Has the city ever experienced anything like this? I know that larger class size is not the answer; it's tough getting new recruits to begin with. This is gonna be rough!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2012, 06:50 AM

1,567 posts, read 3,116,791 times
The school system was built to handle a lot more students than are currently enrolled. This consolidation is long overdue.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:48 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,093,205 times
Agree with mancat. In fairness I'm not affected so it's easy for me to say but this seems like something that's been long overdue. There are way too many buildings. Buildings cost money, which does not grow on trees (although Philadelphia's Democratic machine often acts like it does). I read something that said very few teachers are being cut. So, if teachers are not being cut, how are class sizes increasing?

Old 12-14-2012, 09:32 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,652,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancat100 View Post
The school system was built to handle a lot more students than are currently enrolled. This consolidation is long overdue.
Yes, but in addition the public school district has also had some attrition of students due to all of the various charter schools that have arisen and selectively poached many of its students.

It's hard to see how the presence of all the new charter schools, which are of greatly varying quality but can select students based on their own criteria, could not have a further negative impact on neighborhood public schools, who are required by law to accept everyone (read as: everyone who couldn't go anyplace else). The neighborhood public schools are left with an even higher concentration of students who are there as a last resort, which can't be good.

But it was clear to almost everyone that something had to change. And I guess this is change; but as always - be careful what you wish for...

I'm a guy with a young child, and I am watching this situation with great interest. Not so optimistic at the moment, I have to say.

Old 12-14-2012, 03:43 PM

1,793 posts, read 3,350,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
Agree with mancat. In fairness I'm not affected so it's easy for me to say but this seems like something that's been long overdue. There are way too many buildings. Buildings cost money, which does not grow on trees (although Philadelphia's Democratic machine often acts like it does). I read something that said very few teachers are being cut. So, if teachers are not being cut, how are class sizes increasing?
Sorry....just assumed that teachers were being cut as well. If schools were run on a "business" model the changeover would be efficient and painless, but inasmuch as ANY government-run entity moves like a third-world factory (pre-China and India - LOL), I just know it's going to be filled with "issues", and it's the kids who suffer. JMHO.

Old 12-14-2012, 07:03 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,878,330 times
If the public school system had their act together and did a good job, Charters would never have taken a strong hold in the city. People want better education and the public system fails miserably.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:17 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,652,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
If the public school system had their act together and did a good job, Charters would never have taken a strong hold in the city. People want better education and the public system fails miserably.
I agree with that for the most part. Although I think Charter schools are still in the experimental stage.
And they still benefit from not being forced to take every kid, even those of parents who don't care and/or aren't involved. The public schools have to take those kids. And if they weren't there to take them, would a system of all charter schools be any better? I don't know.

FWIW, my perspective is that I went all the way through Philly public schools, and they were good enough to get me into a good college. I went on to a top graduate program and am now a working professional. I don't think the public schools failed for me. And I do believe that good neighborhood public schools is the ideal situation we should be striving for, that would benefit the city and its people the most. So I am wary of experimental solutions to the problems of public schools that undermine them in order to achieve success.
But something had to be done.

Old 12-15-2012, 06:31 AM

3,391 posts, read 8,779,876 times
It's my understanding that parents are afraid their kids will be exposed to bad kids when things are consolidated. Is there some kind of "correctional" school where the bad kids can be sent after an incident of bullying or whatever so they don't pollute an otherwise good school.

Old 12-15-2012, 07:11 AM

1,567 posts, read 3,116,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
It's my understanding that parents are afraid their kids will be exposed to bad kids when things are consolidated. Is there some kind of "correctional" school where the bad kids can be sent after an incident of bullying or whatever so they don't pollute an otherwise good school.
That exists for the more hard-core bad ones. The problem is that there are so many middling bad kids who aren't quite bad enough to be sent away, but bad enough to ruin a school atmosphere. I'm defining bad rather broadly to include kids who come from families that don't really value education and it manifests itself in the kids being disruptive. Maybe it would be better to let those kids just drop out rather than continue to ruin our public schools by their presence.

Old 12-15-2012, 07:39 AM

3,391 posts, read 8,779,876 times
^^^^^^ I wouldn't let them drop out too soon because that just puts more criminals on the street. Have two correctional schools..... one for the bad kids and another for the worst offenders. and screen them all for mental illness as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
View detailed profiles of: