Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 11:20 AM

149 posts, read 324,032 times

Advertisements

I know what you're talking about, though I don't think that it's limited just to Doylestown. I went to high school in Council Rock and there were a lot of kids (and parents) in that district where you got the same attitude. You'd probably find similar attitudes in places like the Bryn Mawr, Malvern and Cherry Hill. Heck, I see that same attitude in my cousins who live near Exeter, NH. It's much less a "Doylestown" thing than it is a socioeconomic thing.

That said, my wife has family from there and we know some other people from there and they are extremely nice. It's not that the area, or that social status, is "bad." You're just bound to find those attitudes more frequently than you are in other areas (I'm sure you can name some bad apples in Quakertown too).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 11:26 AM

9,325 posts, read 12,997,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaDragon View Post
That said, my wife has family from there and we know some other people from there and they are extremely nice. It's not that the area, or that social status, is "bad." You're just bound to find those attitudes more frequently than you are in other areas (I'm sure you can name some bad apples in Quakertown too).
I really don't think the proportion of insufferable people really changes from place to place. It's only the way they behave that really differs.

Old 12-19-2012, 12:55 PM

592 posts, read 460,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by julian17033 View Post
Chuck,

Your observations click with mine.

Living in the Lehigh Valley fairly close to RT 309 South My wife and I drive south to Coopersburg, Quakertown and Doylestown quite often.

There is a stark contrast in the average home price between Quakertown and Doylestown.
As a result you also "" feel "" a division between socio economic classes.

I too feel a "" coldness "" and stand offish attitude from people in the Doylestown area comparatively to Quakertown and farther north.

Doylestown as a whole is a wealthy enclave of greater Philly, once past that city to the north, more down to earth attitudes are the norm thank God.

I just wanted to let you know your not the only one that has felt this Chuck.
Thanks for your sympathies, Julian lol. I feel that you are definitely correct about Doylestown being an enclave. I live in upper Bucks county (Perkasie), only about 12 miles from Doylestown, and I feel like I just barely live in the more 'down-to-earth' area, so to speak. I definitely associate more with Quakertown than with Doylestown lol. Personally, I think that any place within a few miles of that 202 corridor across the length of Bucks County is part of that enclave as well, like a "202 wealth belt" or something!

Anyways, I'm glad to hear a Lehigh Valleyan's perspective on this. I must say that I've always felt that from the Quakertown/Pennsburg areas and north and westward is where "real Pennsylvania" does begin; it's always refreshing driving up that way!

Old 12-19-2012, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaDragon View Post
I know what you're talking about, though I don't think that it's limited just to Doylestown. I went to high school in Council Rock and there were a lot of kids (and parents) in that district where you got the same attitude. You'd probably find similar attitudes in places like the Bryn Mawr, Malvern and Cherry Hill. Heck, I see that same attitude in my cousins who live near Exeter, NH. It's much less a "Doylestown" thing than it is a socioeconomic thing.

Yeah, I guess I wasn't so much trying to bad-mouth Doylestown so much as the appalling actions of some people from there. I mean, call it prejudiced if you want (like HeavenWood does), but as a working class person, it really is a test of my tolerance when wealthy people who pride themselves on being tolerant and open-minded simultaneously carry themselves in an intolerant manner toward anybody who scrapes by a little more for a living. They just don't seem to understand that people like myself are born into families that are poorer; it's not like we're lazier or "less motivated" or anything.

That said, the one upside to having a job like I do in this affluent area is that there is very little competition for my job! The job security is pretty much guaranteed. And thanks very much for your input!

Old 12-19-2012, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
I really don't think the proportion of insufferable people really changes from place to place. It's only the way they behave that really differs.
You are right, and if people in general would at least have the decency to put on a pretense of friendliness, even if they are cold-hearted underneath, society would still be much more ideal than it is now, and people like me wouldn't get offended and have to write angry rants online LOL.

Old 12-19-2012, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive carephilly View Post
I worked up there for a year for an office supply company. I had a route that covered the triangle between Oak Lane/Doylestown/Ft. Washington. About 1/3 of the people I had to deal with on a daily basis were insufferable.

I don't know where these people were from, just where they worked so I'm not sure how much their unpleasantness was about geography as compared to work environment or perceived status. I think it's mostly the latter two . . . but i think you can usually tell the difference when someone is being a jerk because they hate their job and when someone is being a jerk because they think they're better than you.

It was mostly older women in secretarial/pink collar jobs who I got the most attitude from . . . just really condescending and disrespectful for no good reason.

but yeah, it really grinds my gears when you hold the door for someone and they treat you like you're a motor on an automatic door opener. My 2 year old already knows the correct context for using "please", "thank you" and "you're welcome".
"Grinds my gears," haha I loved that Family Guy segment! Anyways, I'm glad to hear that you're raising your child right. It just seems to me like there is no value placed on common courtesy and kindness in this American society anymore, and in my experiences in wealthy areas (not saying that all wealthy people are this way), there is a "dog-eat-dog," social darwinistic mentality, where people are willing to step all over their fellow human beings and treat fellow human beings like dirt just to get to their 'goals.' I just wish that people would think about how their lack of kindness affects other people. We as human beings in modern America have just become working robots who have become programmed to think that kindness is a sign of weakness. Thanks again for your response!

Old 12-19-2012, 01:50 PM
LHM

204 posts, read 412,947 times
LHM
This message has been deleted by toobusytoday. Reason: inappropriate language

grow up

Old 12-19-2012, 01:53 PM

1,567 posts, read 3,115,746 times
I find a lot of the same lack of manners in lots of people who are quite obviously unwealthy here in the city. Bad manners span the social classes. I should mention, to be fair, that many are also quite nice.

That being said, when I shop at the Giant food store in Wynnewood, I find many of these more prosperous people to be kind of aggressive. It's weird.

Old 12-19-2012, 02:03 PM

149 posts, read 324,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
Completely agree. Why I said the attitudes (ie behaviors) are more frequently found in those areas.

Old 12-19-2012, 02:46 PM

You are right, Mancat. There are many working class people like myself who are rude and have no common courtesy as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia