Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 11:13 PM

592 posts, read 460,848 times

Advertisements

Ok, I suppose this is more of a social criticism than anything else. I live in upper Bucks county but I am employed by a cleaning company that has contracts for work both in Plumstead and Doylestown. This past Saturday, I was reminded of a reality that seems to permeate the entirety of central Bucks. I was cleaning a window to the front entrance of a typical business office and some guy in fancy clothes and driving an SUV comes stomping up the pathway. I go out of my way to stop my cleaning so I can open the door for this guy. The guy keeps his head down and just keeps plodding along right past me and doesn't even stop to say 'thank you.' Of course, I say 'you're welcome' in a regular tone, and he turns around all startled, but doesn't say anything. Now, maybe I am being overly sensitive, but I thought wealthy people are supposed to know their manners, act refined in public , etc. I am just wondering why such people treat workers like me like we don't even exist ; the rudeness and coldness in this area is just appalling when compared to friendlier places nearby like Quakertown, etc. I guess my main point is that I hate it how people idolize Doylestown and its environs as if it's some sort of mecca of tolerance and open-mindedness, and yet the residents of this town treat anybody who works a blue collar job as not even being worthy of common courtesy . People assume that just because citizens of this town make a high amount of money each year, that they are exempt from having any prejudices whatsoever. These same people often accuse us working class people as being the prejudiced ones too !

Anyways, I was just wondering if others have had similar experiences with people from around here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 12:40 AM

3,391 posts, read 8,776,939 times
Maybe he was coming from Philly and he was expecting you to ask for money? Seriously I don't think it's a pattern and certainly not unique to upper Bucks. Some people are like that and some people aren't. You are reading too much into it.

Old 12-19-2012, 12:47 AM

9,325 posts, read 12,997,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
Maybe he was coming from Philly and he was expecting you to ask for money? Seriously I don't think it's a pattern and certainly not unique to upper Bucks. Some people are like that and some people aren't. You are reading too much into it.
This.

And while you certainly have a right to be upset at this individual, your rant as a whole is rather prejudiced.

Last edited by ElijahAstin; 12-19-2012 at 12:56 AM..

Old 12-19-2012, 02:58 AM

Look people, is it really too much to ask for fellow human beings to be courteous toward one another? Apparently so, and now I'm the prejudiced one . . . . yeah, that makes sense.

Old 12-19-2012, 05:02 AM

Ah well, just forget about it.

Old 12-19-2012, 05:17 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,872,134 times
You are right Chuck but people are people. Some are nice, some are not. Just smile

Old 12-19-2012, 05:36 AM

2,309 posts, read 4,382,423 times
Chuck,

Your observations click with mine.

Living in the Lehigh Valley fairly close to RT 309 South My wife and I drive south to Coopersburg, Quakertown and Doylestown quite often.

There is a stark contrast in the average home price between Quakertown and Doylestown.
As a result you also "" feel "" a division between socio economic classes.

I too feel a "" coldness "" and stand offish attitude from people in the Doylestown area comparatively to Quakertown and farther north.

Doylestown as a whole is a wealthy enclave of greater Philly, once past that city to the north, more down to earth attitudes are the norm thank God.

I just wanted to let you know your not the only one that has felt this Chuck.

Old 12-19-2012, 06:29 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,484,182 times
The only problem i have with people from Central Bucks is that they speed through my area in an effort to shave a minute or two off their 1 1/2 hour commutes.

Old 12-19-2012, 06:54 AM

9,325 posts, read 12,997,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckG2008 View Post
Look people, is it really too much to ask for fellow human beings to be courteous toward one another? Apparently so, and now I'm the prejudiced one . . . . yeah, that makes sense.
Saying all rich people from central Bucks are arrogant and inconsiderate is prejudiced.

Old 12-19-2012, 07:41 AM

2,939 posts, read 4,123,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckG2008 View Post
Ok, I suppose this is more of a social criticism than anything else. I live in upper Bucks county but I am employed by a cleaning company that has contracts for work both in Plumstead and Doylestown . . .

Anyways, I was just wondering if others have had similar experiences with people from around here.
I worked up there for a year for an office supply company. I had a route that covered the triangle between Oak Lane/Doylestown/Ft. Washington. About 1/3 of the people I had to deal with on a daily basis were insufferable.

I don't know where these people were from, just where they worked so I'm not sure how much their unpleasantness was about geography as compared to work environment or perceived status. I think it's mostly the latter two . . . but i think you can usually tell the difference when someone is being a jerk because they hate their job and when someone is being a jerk because they think they're better than you.

It was mostly older women in secretarial/pink collar jobs who I got the most attitude from . . . just really condescending and disrespectful for no good reason.

but yeah, it really grinds my gears when you hold the door for someone and they treat you like you're a motor on an automatic door opener. My 2 year old already knows the correct context for using "please", "thank you" and "you're welcome".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia