Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2010, 11:04 AM

5 posts, read 9,881 times

Advertisements

My husband and I and 2 children, ages 6 and 3, are thinking about relocating to Pennsylvania. I have never been there, but my husband grew up near Cherry Hill, NJ and has lots of family outside of Philly.
We live in Woodstock GA now, and like it here. Shopping, restaurants and parks are all nearby, but there is a little too much traffic. So we would love to find a small town-but not too small- that still is close to the conveniences we are used to.
We were thinking about Gilbertsville, but can't find alot of info about it. I did see on Great Schools that there were a couple of elementary schools that got good rankings, but how can I find a house that is in that school zone( if that is were we will move to)? Also, we will most likely rent when we first move there just to make sure it is a city we like enough to buy a home in.
My husband works in the grocery business, so he is hoping to get a job with a reputable grocery store. Possibly Wegmans? Anyone work for them or know how they treat their employees. Also, is it a company that allows you to move up in the ranks?
Info of any kind would be incredibly helpful! Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 12:23 PM

8,982 posts, read 21,173,971 times
I would be cautious about moving out there without knowing where the breadwinner(s) will be working. Gilbertsville would be a not-too-overbearing commute (45-60 minutes +) to job centers like King of Prussia, Exton and Plymouth Meeting. However, a commute into the city would be brutal.

Old 11-04-2010, 12:35 PM

Oh definitley! We are just starting to talk about it, and he will have a job before we go anywhere. Thanks for the traffic advice, it probably would be similar to Atlanta traffic. We avoid going anywhere near the city during rush hour(s)!

Old 11-05-2010, 04:30 PM

316 posts, read 1,016,472 times
Look on Mod cut - Realtor link and everyhome.net, both sites allow you to search by school district.

Wegmans is a great company to work for, they have a reputation for treating their employees well, but not idea about advancement.

Make sure Gilbertsville is really where you want to live. That's pretty far out. Another area to check that might be what you are looking for is Sellersville. Sellersville is still far out but might have a better location to a few more things (stores, other towns). I believe with Sellersville at least you'd be within a decent distance to a Wegmans and also to a Whole Foods and Trader Joe's, which might be other options for your husband.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 11-06-2010 at 06:09 PM..

Old 11-06-2010, 11:48 AM

Thanks for the info. I will check out both of thise sites to check out homes. My husband and I have heard great things about Wegmans, and hopefully that would work out for him. Otherwise, the Whole Foods and Trader Joe's would be great options for him. I will look into Sellersville as well. I have heard some other people talk about Doylestown and Buckingham on other posts. Do you know much about either one of those cities? And everyone I talk to about moving to PA tells me how extremely expensive it is to live there, which makes me nervous. But if it was so expensive, people wouldn't live there, right!?!
Thanks again for the info!!

Old 11-06-2010, 02:12 PM

316 posts, read 1,016,472 times
Where are you moving from? The area is comparatively very expensive to some and comparatively reasonable to others. What would you spend to buy a home where you currently live and what size house would you get for that amount?

Doylestown and Buckingham. Doylestown is a very sought after community in Bucks County, many people love it, its quaint and charming with a downtown and its pretty far from the city, but many take the long commute in via the regional rail train. Doylestown is considered very nice, not too expensive. Buckingham, which is nearby, tends to be more expensive to outright very expensive. I'd say in Doylestown you can get a regular home for $300k and above, and in Buckingham most homes are more like $400k and above, with a good number being $600k and up. There would be exceptions to this in both areas, with homes less than this, but less so in Buckingham.

Old 11-16-2010, 03:21 PM

36 posts, read 80,697 times
Jasmineflower has provided you with very good information. Personally, I love Doylestown, but it is a bit expensive. Sellersville (and Perkasie), as Jasmine said, may be a good option for you. Small town feel, but close to all of your needs. Sellersville is an easy commute to a lot of places. I hate traffic and never feel like traffic is an issue in the immediate area. If you go down rt. 309 toward Montgomeryville, you will hit traffic during rush hour....but there are always alternative routes. Home prices are very reasonable. The Park system through Sellersville and Perkasie is great. The Sellersville theater is a great place to see a show. If you want to know more, just do a thread search for Sellersville in the PA forums. I've commented on the area in several threads.

Good luck in your search.

Old 12-27-2012, 02:16 PM

Well, two years later and we are finally residents of PA! We moved here a month ago from the Atlanta area and so far it seems pretty nice. We decided to move to Collegeville because of family being close by. My husband got a job in Hatfield. I haven't really ventured out on my own too much to see what is around, which is why I kind of feel isolated, but I think that the more time that goes by the more familar I will get with the area. The kids really like their new school and seem to have adjusted pretty well, which is a relief! We are renting currently and hoping to buy maybe next year, but we will see!

Old 12-27-2012, 03:20 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,884,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntlittle02 View Post
Thanks for the info. I will check out both of thise sites to check out homes. My husband and I have heard great things about Wegmans, and hopefully that would work out for him. Otherwise, the Whole Foods and Trader Joe's would be great options for him. I will look into Sellersville as well. I have heard some other people talk about Doylestown and Buckingham on other posts. Do you know much about either one of those cities? And everyone I talk to about moving to PA tells me how extremely expensive it is to live there, which makes me nervous. But if it was so expensive, people wouldn't live there, right!?!
Thanks again for the info!!
Remember this.. There is no such place that is cheap to live, with great schools, great homestock, safe, clean, great municipal services.. No where.. Ya get what you pay for.. Yes Doylestown and Buckingham is very expensive but you get all the other requirements i just wrote about too

Old 12-27-2012, 05:08 PM

8,982 posts, read 21,173,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntlittle02 View Post
Well, two years later and we are finally residents of PA! We moved here a month ago from the Atlanta area and so far it seems pretty nice. We decided to move to Collegeville because of family being close by. My husband got a job in Hatfield. I haven't really ventured out on my own too much to see what is around, which is why I kind of feel isolated, but I think that the more time that goes by the more familar I will get with the area. The kids really like their new school and seem to have adjusted pretty well, which is a relief! We are renting currently and hoping to buy maybe next year, but we will see!
Congrats on the move and thanks for checking back in with an update!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia