Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 02:42 PM

187 posts, read 350,306 times

Advertisements

I have been dealing with a similar situation. My problem was not so much the excessive volume but the terrible acoustics in my old building. I finally made a break through with my neighbor when I invited them up to my apartment while the music was playing so they could see what I was dealing with. Your selfish downstairs neighbors might not realize it is an issue at this point so if you can put them in your shoes and show that you are not being unreasonable it might help them out.

One thing I will say about sound issues is that white noise machines and ear plugs (which I use) are very helpful but not when the issue is bass (which was what was happening at my apartment). The only thing that can drown out bass is more bass from your own stereo, which is not something you probably want all the time. I'm not sure if noise-cancelling headphones will be that helpful so I would try to borrow some from a friend first to try it out as they are pretty expensive.

If you move out with several months remaining on your lease, you are not necessarily on the hook for the remainder of the term. The landlord is under an obligation to mitigate damages so they have to look for new renters. If the landlord would sue for damages they should be able to recover any cost to them in going through the re-rental process (say an agent) and what you had left owing on the lease minus whatever they get for re-renting the apartment. So if they rent it out after one month vacant at $100 less per month then you would pay the one month rent and $100 for every month. This is generally the way it works but every state has its own rules so don't take this as official. You can probably get more information by looking at the PA landlord-tenant law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2018, 05:35 PM

1 posts, read 667 times
If you want quiet movw to the country as far as your wife pregnant wife if she is that close she shuould not be working i think you just like to ***** if you dont link music or noise the never live it the city becouse thats all you will get no matter what city you live in most deffently in an appartment best bet is to get a house away from people or just deal couse when your kid starts walking dont get an appartment
above ground level our people will get sick of your kids stomping or running or just plain sound's like thay are going to come through ceiling belive me that noise reaily sucks and i blast my music just so i dont have to heare that

Old 05-28-2018, 03:38 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,123,920 times
It is true you could move and find worse.....but you could also find better.

1) Are you planning to move after the baby comes anyway?

2) If your doctor says the noise is a threat to the pregnancy being carried to term (as is the health of mother and unborn child) due to the noise level caused by the other tenant -- and the landlord has been given notice of this and hasn't stopped it....I'd think you might be able to get the landlord to let you out of the lease.

3) I'd bring in the doctor and a lawyer friend of mine if I had to.

I'm like a dog with a bone and mamma bear all rolled into one when the situation warrants it...

Old 05-29-2018, 06:24 AM

1,943 posts, read 1,488,531 times
This thread is 5 years old...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia