Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 10:46 AM

2,939 posts, read 4,126,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakinMoves View Post
I have never been in a rowhome, I imagine the 2nd floor/1st floor whatever floor of a rowhome is the same as my 2nd floor apt? Is there a huge difference between a row home and a standard 2nd floor apt? I have always lived in apt complexes, and once in a highrise.. so please fill me in

I'd like to stay under 1100/month, and will be commuting to Marlton, NJ. The only area of South Philly I am familiar with is near the intersection of Broad and Passyunk Ave, other than that .. I have no idea what I should be looking for there.

I would like to be near public transit, but I will have a car as well. I am not a huge bar person but I do like to have a drink here and there and yes to restaurants. A good social scene would be nice, I dont need to be RIGHT in the mix of it, but close to would be preferable. Hope this is the info you were looking for, thanks!
If you went to 22nd & Dickinson then drew a 5 block radius around it - that's the area I would stay away from. Most of the rest of South Philly is pretty great with a few pockets of sketch (but not dangerous, per se).

Anyway, if you're going to do SP I would try to stay south of Tasker St. down to Wolf St. between 8th & 16th Streets. It keeps you close to the bridge, close to the subway, close to Passyunk Ave. (where the shops/bars/restaurants are) and keeps you out of sketchy areas. There are plenty of nice places outside of that area but none that check all of those boxes. If you don't care about being close to shops or the subway (if you don't mind a 10-15 minute bus ride into Center City I would look west of Broad St. between West Passyunk Ave. and Pattison Ave.

Passyunk Ave. isn't really "in the thick of it". That would be Center City. Passyunk is much more laid back than CC and even more laid back than other neighborhood nightlife spots like Northern Liberties or Fishtown or Manayunk.

For $1100 you should be able to find a fairly modern 2-3 bedroom rowhome between 700 and 1100 square feet. The first floor is going to be from front to back - LR/DR/Kitchen. The upstairs will probably be a large bedroom in the front, a smaller bedroom right next to it and a large bathroom at the back (if it's a 2 bedroom).

Rowhouse rentals are the norm in SP because most of them are too small to be converted to multi-unit bldgs and most of those that are large enough are zoned singe-family. Most apartments are going to be the upstairs of a corner store and are usually around 500-750 s/f depending on the footprint of the building.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2012, 02:28 PM

57 posts, read 89,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drive carephilly View Post
If you went to 22nd & Dickinson then drew a 5 block radius around it - that's the area I would stay away from. Most of the rest of South Philly is pretty great with a few pockets of sketch (but not dangerous, per se).

Anyway, if you're going to do SP I would try to stay south of Tasker St. down to Wolf St. between 8th & 16th Streets. It keeps you close to the bridge, close to the subway, close to Passyunk Ave. (where the shops/bars/restaurants are) and keeps you out of sketchy areas. There are plenty of nice places outside of that area but none that check all of those boxes. If you don't care about being close to shops or the subway (if you don't mind a 10-15 minute bus ride into Center City I would look west of Broad St. between West Passyunk Ave. and Pattison Ave.

Passyunk Ave. isn't really "in the thick of it". That would be Center City. Passyunk is much more laid back than CC and even more laid back than other neighborhood nightlife spots like Northern Liberties or Fishtown or Manayunk.

For $1100 you should be able to find a fairly modern 2-3 bedroom rowhome between 700 and 1100 square feet. The first floor is going to be from front to back - LR/DR/Kitchen. The upstairs will probably be a large bedroom in the front, a smaller bedroom right next to it and a large bathroom at the back (if it's a 2 bedroom).

Rowhouse rentals are the norm in SP because most of them are too small to be converted to multi-unit bldgs and most of those that are large enough are zoned singe-family. Most apartments are going to be the upstairs of a corner store and are usually around 500-750 s/f depending on the footprint of the building.
Thank you for this, very helpful and specific. I have outlined/highlighted the good and not so good areas you mentioned, on my map lol So are most row homes 2-3 bedrooms? Like should I not expect to find 1bd room places and not bother looking? Also, where would I find the best listings for homes.. other than Craigslist maybe. I know many ppl use it, but I have run across many sketchy ads. Thank you!!

Old 12-30-2012, 02:32 PM

Also - how will parking be in these areas?

Old 12-30-2012, 03:48 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,878,330 times
Parking is absolutely horrendous in SP. You may actually have to park blocks away from your home or circle for quite a long time to find a spot close to you house. And in the winter when it snows, Philly folks shovel out their spot and claim it with a chair till after the snow melts.

Old 12-30-2012, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
Parking is absolutely horrendous in SP. You may actually have to park blocks away from your home or circle for quite a long time to find a spot close to you house. And in the winter when it snows, Philly folks shovel out their spot and claim it with a chair till after the snow melts.
Are you joking? lol .. wow. I dont know how i feel about that. Somehow, my friend always gets a spot in front of his house. It looks like there is parking on a strip in the middle of the road?? Nothing like anything I've seen before thats for sure.. I am not sure how I feel about ALWAYS having to fight for parking. Late night I can understand but always? .. eh

Old 12-30-2012, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Thank you for this, very helpful and specific. I have outlined/highlighted the good and not so good areas you mentioned, on my map lol So are most row homes 2-3 bedrooms? Like should I not expect to find 1bd room places and not bother looking? Also, where would I find the best listings for homes.. other than Craigslist maybe. I know many ppl use it, but I have run across many sketchy ads. Thank you!!
I think it's fair to say that most rowhomes are 2-3 bedrooms. Some neighborhoods have blocks with much larger homes that are 5-6 bedrooms and run from 1800-2400 Sq. ft. Some neighborhoods have blocks with 3 and 4 bedroom homes that run 1400-1700 s/f.

You can definitely find a 1 bedroom apt. I was just saying that it's going to be more difficult because most of what's out there is houses.

CL is fine as a resource. You might also want to try the South Philly Review - it's a local newspaper with a good classified section on its website.

Parking - is going to be more difficult for you because you have to move your car everyday and you'd be getting home from work in the early evening when everyone else does. Some neighborhoods are worse than others. If you don't mind parking a block or two from your house you shouldn't have too much trouble.

Old 12-30-2012, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
And in the winter when it snows, Philly folks shovel out their spot and claim it with a chair till after the snow melts.
Good point and even more important if you're going to live in the city because it can be really hard to get your car out once the plows come through - if you live on a street that the plows can get down.

If you live in Philly and are expecting more than 3 or 4 inches of snow I would wait a few inches into the snowfall and drive over to a PATCO lot in South Jersey (Woodcrest or Ashland) and park there. That way you can get to work without too much hassle or headache.

Old 12-30-2012, 05:45 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,697,111 times
Quote:
Are you joking? lol .. wow. I dont know how i feel about that. Somehow, my friend always gets a spot in front of his house. It looks like there is parking on a strip in the middle of the road?? Nothing like anything I've seen before thats for sure.. I am not sure how I feel about ALWAYS having to fight for parking. Late night I can understand but always? .. eh
Try finding a rowhome with a parking spot. Also, the further South you get, down by the Sports Complex, parking will be easier. Some rowhomes have a garage. Some apartment complexes like 777 South Broad has a parking lot behind it. Although, 777 can be expensive.

Here's one in Queen Village for $1050 a month and optional off street parking for $85 a month
**Queen Village Luxury Bi-Level,G/H,C/A,D/W,G/D,No Pets**

If you want to live in the city, don't let anyone dissuade you. There are options.

Here is a general consensus on the neighborhoods in South Philadelphia...
South Philadelphia Neighborhood Map - Google Maps

Stay out of Point Breeze and Gray's Ferry and you will be fine, although Point Breeze is gentrifying. Also, the Dickinson Narrows can get sketchy depending on what block.

Here's also one in Center City for $895 a month in a highrise
206 S 13th St APT 1902, Philadelphia, PA 19107 - Zillow

Don't limit yourself, especially if you are looking for parking.

Old 12-30-2012, 07:07 PM

932 posts, read 1,944,861 times
Quote:
I'm not sure what your South Philly experience has been, but this picture below about sums up every experience I've had parking in South Philly.

Source: Home Away From Home «

Only on narrower streets lined with row homes with no front yard and cars parked on the sidewalk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Some rowhomes have a garage.
You neglect to mention that the garages are typically also the basement of the row home and getting in/out of them safely in snow is a monumental feat, especially for someone not accustomed to it. I can't seem to find a picture on the googles, but I remember my grandmother's being very steep and difficult to walk up, let alone drive up in ice.

Old 12-30-2012, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTA88 View Post
I'm not sure what your South Philly experience has been, but this picture below about sums up every experience I've had parking in South Philly.

Source: Home Away From Home «

Only on narrower streets lined with row homes with no front yard and cars parked on the sidewalk.

You neglect to mention that the garages are typically also the basement of the row home and getting in/out of them safely in snow is a monumental feat, especially for someone not accustomed to it. I can't seem to find a picture on the googles, but I remember my grandmother's being very steep and difficult to walk up, let alone drive up in ice.
When I first saw that pic.. I thought it was traffic! I didnt realize these are parked cars.. what the..and how do the cars on the far right of the pic get out? lol .. and I was a little excited about South Philly till now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia