Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 06:08 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,780,794 times

Advertisements

Getting back to the original topic...... I wish the OP would come back and try to explain what he was thinking when he posted because I don't know what the h%^&* he's talking about.

Last edited by FindingZen; 01-21-2013 at 06:09 PM.. Reason: Agreed that we should get back to the original topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 06:11 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,698,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post

Getting back to the original topic...... I wish the OP would come back and try to explain what he was thinking when he posted because I don't know what the h%^&* he's talking about.
I think it was a thread to try to get people to bash New Jersey... I mean that's the only thing that makes sense to me. Unless he was purposely just asking the questions like: does NJ steal residents from Philadelphia? Does it take jobs from Philadelphia? etc. I can't tell what he meant.

Old 01-21-2013, 06:43 PM

9,340 posts, read 13,007,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Even to this day, suburban ideology promotes racism, xenophobia, homophobia, segregation, class-ism, among other things while living in the inner city is viewed as "bad" and "dangerous" and "filled with undesirables."
My ex-girlfriend's parents felt the same way. They proved they were above suburbanites by living in a multi-million dollar row home in Fitler Square, sending their children to exclusive private schools, and co-mingling with other wealthy white city-dwellers. Other trendy neighborhoods like Rittenhouse, Chestnut Hill, and Society Hill are also teeming with racial and socioeconomic diversity and the residents never isolate themselves from the more downtrodden parts of the city. In more up-and-coming enclaves like Northern Liberties and Clark Park, there's no way the noticeably richer and whiter newcomers aren't doing anything but getting along swimmingly with the less privileged people of color who now stand among their neighbors. And as some of those people of color get priced out to less swanky neighborhoods in the outer-lying parts of the city, not a single white ethnic is lamenting the "loss" of his/her neighborhood and running like the wind, or, alternatively, staying behind and harassing and intimidating the newcomers in the hopes they will leave.

Yep, urban denizens are definitely above all those negative mindsets!

Last edited by ElijahAstin; 01-21-2013 at 07:16 PM..

Old 01-21-2013, 06:55 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,652,988 times
LOL! Yes, growing up in Philly I would not characterize most city neighborhoods as harmonious tolerant melting pots!

But the whole suburban vs urban "us vs them" mentality is really unproductive IMO, and hopefully we'll all outgrow it in a few generations.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
My ex-girlfriend's parents felt the same way. They proved they were above suburbanites by living in a multi-million dollar row home in Fitler Square, sending their children to exclusive private schools, and co-mingling with other wealthy white city-dwellers. Other trendy neighborhoods like Rittenhouse, Chestnut Hill, and Society Hill are also teeming with racial and socioeconomic diversity and the residents never isolate themselves from the more downtrodden parts of the city. In more up-and-coming enclaves like Northern Liberties and Clark Park, there's no way the noticeably richer and whiter newcomers aren't doing anything but getting along swimmingly with the less privileged people of color who now stand among their neighbors. And as some of those people of color get priced out to less swanky neighborhoods in the outer-lying parts of the city, not a single white ethnic is lamenting the "loss" of his/her neighborhood and running like the wind, or, alternatively, staying behind and harassing and intimidating the newcomers in the hopes they will leave.

Yep, urban denizens are definitely above all those negative mindsets!
The point is, people can live in the suburbs their entire lives without even interacting with an African American. In the city, you interact with people of all races on a daily basis no matter where you live. Also, there is no way Rittenhouse, Society Hill or any other Center City neighborhood is entirely white, that is a joke. Where my girlfriends parents live, in a sprawlburb neighborhood in Newtown, thier ENTIRE neighborhood is white, with one Indian family. NOT ONE AFRICAN AMERICAN. I also proved my point that I am not the only one who sees that the suburbs promote these ideologies by posting links to articles about the same subjects. The city is much more diverse no matter where you live, you are also much more likely to have a mixing of the classes, although classes in general tend to congregate together, there are plenty of low-income residents living in PHA homes and other subsidized and low income housing ALL OVER the greater Center City area. Also, there are middle class residents all over Center City, even in Rittenhouse and Society Hill. There are NO low class or middle class residents in my girlfriends parents neighborhood.

Hell, I grew up in a middle class neighborhood in Fairless Hills. There are NO low class residents in that neighborhood and there is one black family and one black guy married to a white girl who just moved there 2 years ago. Everyone else is white.

IDK why you are attacking me lol.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
LOL! Yes, growing up in Philly I would not characterize most city neighborhoods as harmonious tolerant melting pots!

But the whole suburban vs urban "us vs them" mentality is really unproductive IMO, and hopefully we'll all outgrow it in a few generations.
It's not suburbs vs urban... it's a matter of stopping sprawl, which is unsustainable.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:57 PM

9,340 posts, read 13,007,749 times
Quote:
The point is, people can live in the suburbs their entire lives without even interacting with an African American. In the city, you interact with people of all races on a daily basis no matter where you live. Also, there is no way Rittenhouse, Society Hill or any other Center City neighborhood is entirely white, that is a joke. Where my girlfriends parents live, in a sprawlburb neighborhood in Newtown, thier ENTIRE neighborhood is white, with one Indian family. NOT ONE AFRICAN AMERICAN. I also proved my point that I am not the only one who sees that the suburbs promote these ideologies by posting links to articles about the same subjects. The city is much more diverse no matter where you live, you are also much more likely to have a mixing of the classes, although classes in general tend to congregate together, there are plenty of low-income residents living in PHA homes and other subsidized and low income housing ALL OVER the greater Center City area. Also, there are middle class residents all over Center City, even in Rittenhouse and Society Hill. There are NO low class or middle class residents in my girlfriends parents neighborhood.

Hell, I grew up in a middle class neighborhood in Fairless Hills. There are NO low class residents in that neighborhood and there is one black family and one black guy married to a white girl who just moved there 2 years ago. Everyone else is white.

I never said Rittenhouse or Society Hill were 100% white as a whole. I was saying that many people who live in the city can and do live isolated lives, and it's not just in the fancy neighborhoods, either. Higher frequency of multi-unit housing may make a place more diverse on paper, but what difference does seeing black people on the street make if they don't live on your block or run in your social circle? Even in urban schools with relative integration like George Washington High, the student bodies are overwhelmingly balkanized on race- and class-based lines. I don't care what some two-bit academic with too much education and not enough brains says. These are problems that run much deeper in American society and correspond extremely poorly to an urban-suburban divide. There are also a number of sprawlburbs like Cherry Hill and Voorhees that, while on the middle/upper middle class side overall, pretty much run the gamut from dirt poor to filthy rich and offer a decent amount of racial and ethnic diversity, at that.

And I'm not "attacking" you, but when you make ignorant conclusions from sweeping, baseless statements, I'm going to call you out on them.

Quote:
It's not suburbs vs urban... it's a matter of stopping sprawl, which is unsustainable.
And I absolutely agree with you on that. But basing that on the idea that auto-centric suburbs are "socially poisonous" is utter nonsense. Truly integrated neighborhoods like Mt. Airy, while certainly rarer in the suburbs, are still very much few and far between within the city proper.

Last edited by ElijahAstin; 01-21-2013 at 08:08 PM..

Old 01-21-2013, 08:38 PM

2,939 posts, read 4,127,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marius Pontmercy View Post
South Jersey is part of the Philly metro area, but its the crappy(er) part of NJ. All the money and influence is in the NYC metro region of North Jersey.

You see this played out in the state government too. The state always screws over South Jersey in favor of North Jersey. Just look at their handling of the Delaware dredging project which they fought in favor of deepening the port of Newark.
This is a bit of a half truth. The whole dredging thing was a handout to the oil refineries from the get-go.

The plan was to not waste money dredging the Delaware and instead spend the money on developing barge facilities in Camden and Bridgeton or Salem and barging the containers to the Delaware River. Not dredging wouldn't affect the business that was already here.

Right now 90% of the freight leaving Newark/Elizabeth is pulling out on a truck and a lot of it is already destined for the Philly region. This plan would barge most of it to Delaware River ports - and a lot more freight that is destined for places beyond our region that would also come down here and get transferred to trains (and trucks) because we have better freight rail connections down here.

Deeping the channel here by 5 ft. isn't going to attract enough business that would remotely cover the cost of the dredging especially considering that there is a huge container port 80 miles away that is some 15 miles from the open ocean and two other ports that ships have to sail past on the Delaware just to get to Philly/Camden.

Big ships don't like long rivers. It's expensive, dangerous and takes too long. There's zero reason to dredge that deep past the port of Wilmington. The bigger ships can't fit under the Commodore Barry to begin with. Philly/Camden is a niche port (break bulk, cars, coffee, etc) and should work on strengthening that - not trying to reinvent itself when the rest of the industry is moving towards bigger ports closer to the ocean.

Quote:
Or, look at a NJTransit rail map. Newark/Hoboken/Jersey City have all benefited and gotten redevelopment monies for being across the river from New York City. Camden is across the river from Philadelphia and it gets... to merge its police force into a county-wide force since it can no longer even provide basic services like police protection. Its sad really.
A lot of the rail problem in South Jersey has to do with South Jersey intransigence . . . and mostly with the Burlington County Republicans . . . and when you go to the waterfront in Hoboken and Jersey City and marvel at those parks and the promenade - that's because Hudson Co. made developers pay into a fund for the right to develop those parcels and that money went to pay for the public amenities there - not state funding.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:07 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:

Your argument is deluded. I don't know of one suburb in South Jersey that is not integrated. Not one. You cannot go anywhere without seeing all races. Even Lawnside has a couple of white people now.

Since the WWII GI Bill ended in 1956, it shoots your whole theory down.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:27 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post

Apparently he has a problem with the location of Center City & doesn't understand that it's considered to be the business center, not the geographic center. Your guess is as good as mine as to why he dragged NJ into it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia