Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 08:40 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,655,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Yes there are pockets on both sides

In my post you responded to I meant the burbbs on either side are NOT particularly diverse save specific locales
Yeah, I wasn't disagreeing. Just curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 02:46 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,879,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancat100 View Post
New Jersey's douchbag night lifers have caused immense harm to certain parts of Philadelphia. Old City in particular
Haha yea the river has this ooze in it that turns you into a douchebag as soon as you move across the river. Save it you sound like a philly.com Negadelphian commenter.

Old 01-15-2013, 02:59 PM

1,567 posts, read 3,118,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soug View Post
Haha yea the river has this ooze in it that turns you into a douchebag as soon as you move across the river. Save it you sound like a philly.com Negadelphian commenter.
Oh no. I love Philadelphia. Definitely not a Negadelphian. However I work in Old City and when happy hour turns into late night, THEY come out to play.

Old 01-15-2013, 03:01 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,702,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
Is New Jersey even considered a significant part of the Philadelphia metro? Philadelphia, unlike manhattan, is not actually in the center but instead in the corner. Isn't it a perpetual detriment for center city to not actually be in the center?
When you hear tri-state area, that means Philadelphia, SE PA, Northern Delaware, &, yes, South Jersey.

Why do you want to know if New Jersey harms Philadelphia? I don't understand your logic. Maybe you could explain that.

Old 01-15-2013, 03:23 PM

4,507 posts, read 4,047,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Why do you want to know if New Jersey harms Philadelphia? I don't understand your logic. Maybe you could explain that.
Seems maybe people think I'm interested in how it is currently harming philadelphia. I am more interested in how philadelphia would be different if the counties surrounding center city in new jersey actually belonged to pennsylvania. I think most people are seeing this thread as "just pretend new jersey doesn't exist and poof no harm done!".

So now we've got no east philadelphia, everyone who works in philly crams into north, west, and south instead (raising prices), and center city is not the center of mass anymore making it slightly less attractive for business who want the most access to the professionals in the area.

Old 01-15-2013, 04:22 PM

1,567 posts, read 3,118,467 times
Well, if those counties belonged to PA, then all the suburban flight that went to NJ would still be PA residents. PA would have about a million more people and more seats in Congress.

Old 01-15-2013, 06:37 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,879,521 times
Quote:
So now we've got no east philadelphia, everyone who works in philly crams into north, west, and south instead (raising prices), and center city is not the center of mass anymore making it slightly less attractive for business who want the most access to the professionals in the area.
What? Tons of people who work in CC live in SJ. In fact, SJ has some of the best access to CC in the entire region.

Old 01-15-2013, 06:38 PM

4,507 posts, read 4,047,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soug View Post
What? Tons of people who work in CC live in SJ. In fact, SJ has some of the best access to CC in the entire region.
I've never seen someone recommend SJ to live when they said they were going to be working in Philly.

Old 01-15-2013, 07:00 PM

9,350 posts, read 13,017,052 times
Quote:
I've never seen someone recommend SJ to live when they said they were going to be working in Philly.
South Jersey is a lot more convenient to Center City as a whole. By automobile, only the immediate Western suburbs can compete.

Old 01-15-2013, 07:11 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,702,154 times
Quote:
It used to happen frequently before South Jersey got it's own board.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia