Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2013, 04:31 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,783,010 times

Advertisements

This you tube video was originally made for the Franklin Institute on the opening of the Imax theater there. It is more than 20 years old and it is shocking how outdated it is. Time moves by so fast. Anyway for those who haven't seen it it is still very powerful I think.

Philadelphia Anthem IMAX Movie - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2013, 04:39 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,703,262 times
Wow! Very good but very outdated nonetheless. Would like to see something similar for a modern day Philadelphia.

Old 01-14-2013, 04:41 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,654,477 times
Making me feel old

I remember when this was brand new. It made to showcase the new Omnimax* theater at the Franklin Institute.

(*NOT Imax - Omnimax was competing tech with Imax at the time, and was IMO much superior because it wraps behind your head more, giving more of an immersive feel. But Imax ultimately won out as a format because it was easier to retrofit into conventional theaters).

Old 01-14-2013, 05:33 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,783,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
Making me feel old

I remember when this was brand new. It made to showcase the new Omnimax* theater at the Franklin Institute.

(*NOT Imax - Omnimax was competing tech with Imax at the time, and was IMO much superior because it wraps behind your head more, giving more of an immersive feel. But Imax ultimately won out as a format because it was easier to retrofit into conventional theaters).
Wikapedia is calling the current setup there Imax. It may have been changed over the years or they may just be wrong.

Old 01-14-2013, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
Wikapedia is calling the current setup there Imax. It may have been changed over the years or they may just be wrong.
They show Imax movies now, because no one makes Omnimax films anymore to take advantage of the dome screen/omni projector (since there are so few Omnimax theatres), and they need to show something.
Omnimax went the way of Betamax (dating myself here again).
If you see an Imax movie there, note how it doesn't fit the dome screen.

Philadelphia Anthem was made for Omnimax, though. They used to show it before every film at the Franklin Institute. And it was awesome.

Old 01-14-2013, 06:39 PM

You can tell it's an Omnimax film in that Youtube video from the fisheye distortion, and how the horizon is so low. It didn't look distorted in the theatre, and the horizon is straight ahead at eye level. It's meant to be projected on a dome that goes all the way over your head, and be immersive and almost 3 dimensional feeling.

Old 01-15-2013, 02:23 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,941,037 times
Yes I remember the show there as well as well as the set up

It was cool and different than the watered down IMAX of today actually (or maybe youger eyes were more wowed)

I also remember seeing a Rolling Stones concert movie in the Franklin Omnivax

good stuff here though

Wonder what the Comcast show would look like in 20 years
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia