Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 09:56 AM

3,391 posts, read 8,780,794 times

Advertisements

Upper Dublin RE under 300K? I supplied the zip and the web site. All you have to do is look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
Willow Grove in Upper Dublin township and also in Abington township plus Abington itself and Roslyn in Abington. Look in zips 19001 and 19090. Many houses in your price range, excellent schools, great shopping close to Center City with great Septa service as well. Housing stock will be older but easy to update if it hasn't been yet. Put those zips into www.trulia.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 10:14 AM

5 posts, read 16,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
No it's not. One of the biggest jokes on here is how everyone from South Jersey acts like everywhere in SJ is "oh so convenient" to Center City and how everything in SE PA is "oh so inconvenient" to Center City. SEPTA has 13 train lines throughout SE PA. PATCO has 1, right? Do the math.

Many homes in Upper Dublin are within a 10 minute walk, or a 5-minute drive, to the Upper Dublin Station of the Lansdale/Doylestown Line (the R5).

Again, though, as has been said, there aren't many homes in UD for under $300k. In fact, there aren't many in good condition under $400k.
Which is why, i stated "Depending on what type of home"
There are PLENTY of NICE townhomes of susquehanna road in Upper Dublin around the 300K range. I would know, my parents JUST bought a townhome off Susquehanna for under 300K. Newly renovated, 5 minute drive from UD Highschool

The townhomes around my prev. development are in the 270K range for 3 bdrm 2.5 bathrooms. Great parking, playground, etc.

Single homes on the other hand, are obviously a different story.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:27 AM

9,340 posts, read 13,007,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
Upper Dublin RE under 300K? I supplied the zip and the web site. All you have to do is look.
A very measly portion of 19090 (and an absolute sliver of 19001) are in Upper Dublin. I'm not denying they exist. You can even find some $300k homes in Lower Merion. But that doesn't mean I'd advise someone looking to get the most out of their budget to look there.

Last edited by ElijahAstin; 01-16-2013 at 11:33 AM..

Old 01-16-2013, 01:10 PM

640 posts, read 1,295,571 times
Default Okay then which communities.

Thanks I've gotten a lot of suggestions but nothing to really narrow it down.

To Help three criteria i think most families are looking for.

1. Great School District
2. Good housing Or most bang for your buck housing.
3. Easy commute to Center city by Train or Car.

Philadelphia county

Northeast and Northwest Sections

Chestnut hill, W mt Airy,Fox chase,Somerton

Bucks county

Fairless hills and Langhorne,PA

Montgomery County

Willow Grove
Abington
Ambler
Upper Dublin
Hatboro
Lansdale

New Jersey

Haddon township
Cherry hill
mt laurel
Riverton
Cinnanimison
Delran

Delaware County

haverford
Springfield
Maple

Delaware Northern wilmington suburbs

Which area do you think provides the best school district,most bank for your buck housing and a easy commute to Center city Philadelphia for under 300K???

Old 01-16-2013, 01:31 PM

^Definitely Cherry Hill.

But if you want a walkable community with character, Haddon Township or Haverford.

Old 01-16-2013, 02:16 PM

1,339 posts, read 2,485,546 times
Since your number one priority is school district, Upper Moreland SD portion of Willow Grove, NJ areas other than Cherry Hill, and Delaware areas may not be as good as the others. There are plenty of ranking out there that you can compare against, as everyone on here will have their own opinions. In terms of bang for your buck, Upper Dublin may not make sense. In terms of commute to CC, think most of them would all be inside an hour door-to-door.

Last edited by Angus215; 01-16-2013 at 02:44 PM..

Old 01-16-2013, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus215 View Post
Since your number one priority is school district, Upper Moreland SD portion of Willow Grove, NJ areas other than Cherry Hill, and Delaware areas may not be as good as the others. There are plenty of ranking out there that you can compare against, as everyone on here will have their own opinions. In terms of bang for your buck, Upper Dublin may not make sense. In terms of commute to CC, think most of them would all be inside an hour door-to-door.
Voorhees, Evesham, and Mt. Laurel (among other affordable options) have perfectly fine school districts. I've heard mixed things about Haddon Township myself, but it's probably at least "good enough."

Old 01-16-2013, 05:08 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,880,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimewitue View Post

1. Great School District

New Jersey

Haddon township
Cherry hill
Cinnanimison
Delran

Which area do you think provides the best school district,most bank for your buck housing and a easy commute to Center city Philadelphia for under 300K???
Theres the winners. Very close, great schools and no city wage tax..

Old 01-16-2013, 08:29 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,780,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
A very measly portion of 19090 (and an absolute sliver of 19001) are in Upper Dublin. I'm not denying they exist. You can even find some $300k homes in Lower Merion. But that doesn't mean I'd advise someone looking to get the most out of their budget to look there.
I tend to agree. I was really recommending Willow Grove more than Upper Dublin. All of Willow Grove lies in one good town or the other.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:49 AM

149 posts, read 324,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimewitue View Post

1. Great School District
What you basically have to take into consideration is that, in general, the farther you get from phila, the greater "bang for your buck." If that's really what you want, I would go with Lansdale. It's certainly farther (about 45-50min train ride only) but the bang for your buck is huge. If you want school districts, Cherry Hill is definitely the best (but it's expensive). If you want to stay in PA, I would definitely stick with the districts on Montgomery County OTHER THAN Upper Moreland. Not that UM is bad, but all the others you listed are better. UM, Neshaminy & Pennsbury (both in Bucks co in the Langhorne/Fairless Hills areas) are solid, but unspectacular, districts.

Essentially, you are going to have to choose one of the criteria you listed and put that as #1 and go from there. It's hard to get all 3, even 2. My wife & I were in your position recently and ended up in Horsham, which would match #'s 1 & 2. It's farther from CC than almost any other place you mentioned other than Lansdale, but it's closer to my wife's work near Doylestown (so of course, I lost that battle ). I compromised on distance but we are both very happy because we got everything else we wanted. We really wanted to find a good SD so that was our top priority.

I would try to focus on one thing that you really want (schools, houses...), pick a location or locations that matches that, and then try to find your other criteria as best you can. Drive around some of these areas to see what you think for yourself. Obviously people here have their own agendas and opinions that may not match yours so going to see these areas is the only way to make a good decision for yourself. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia