Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2013, 06:58 PM

7 posts, read 20,483 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

We've been house hunting for almost 10 months now and recently lost a bid on a house we loved very much. So in trying to move along, I expanded my search to other parts that I didn't look at before and found a nice house in Norristown. I haven't seen the area, only looked online, but it looks like it is in a newer development (over ten years old) and is zoned for a different school district. I'm a little confused... I've always heard only really bad things about Norristown, where did this neighborhood come from? It is in the area of Germantown Pike and Valley Forge Rd/363... is this area very far away from the dangerous and seedy part of Norristown? Any extra info would be greatly appreciated. Is this a safe and nice area to raise a family in? What other parts of Montgomery & Bucks county would be best comparable to this area?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 07:11 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,860,632 times
Actually yes German town pike takes you through very nice areas. East Norriton is a great area. It takes you to collegeville (Ursinus college) and towards Plymouth meeting area. I would also recommend the Skipback area, pricey but very pretty.

Old 01-25-2013, 07:46 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Don't worry; we dangerous and seedy residents of Norristown won't bother you one bit.

Old 01-26-2013, 11:11 AM

2,932 posts, read 5,421,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
I would also recommend the Skipback area, pricey but very pretty.
I think you mean "Skippack".

Old 01-26-2013, 01:30 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,382,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellapreston View Post
We've been house hunting for almost 10 months now and recently lost a bid on a house we loved very much. So in trying to move along, I expanded my search to other parts that I didn't look at before and found a nice house in Norristown. I haven't seen the area, only looked online, but it looks like it is in a newer development (over ten years old) and is zoned for a different school district. I'm a little confused... I've always heard only really bad things about Norristown, where did this neighborhood come from? It is in the area of Germantown Pike and Valley Forge Rd/363... is this area very far away from the dangerous and seedy part of Norristown? Any extra info would be greatly appreciated. Is this a safe and nice area to raise a family in? What other parts of Montgomery & Bucks county would be best comparable to this area?
First of all, as Ohiogirl implied, not all of Norristown is seedy. Second of all, the "seedy" areas are more or less confined to the actual borough of Norristown. The area you're looking at just has a Norristown zip code- it's not in the actual borough. There are lots of places that have Norristown addresses that aren't actually in the borough of Norristown.

The municipality you're looking at is either Lower Providence or West Norriton township. Both are your typical nice suburban townships. There are lots of nice neighborhoods with Norristown addresses. Also, many areas with Norristown addresses do not feed into Norristown schools.

(What's funny is that I have a version of this conversation on the Northern Virginia forum all the time regarding "Alexandria", which is similarly a large postal code area surrounding a small actual municipality. What's also funny is that a lot of people seem to think this type of thing is unique to Virginia.)

Old 01-26-2013, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
The municipality you're looking at is either Lower Providence or West Norriton township.
Probably Worcester Township, and possibly the Methacton school district.

Old 01-27-2013, 08:54 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,274,757 times
There are some really nice, almost mansion-like homes on Main St. just west of Markley. What are they? They kind of stand out from the rest. Norristown seems to have a had a much more glorious past.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
There are some really nice, almost mansion-like homes on Main St. just west of Markley. What are they? They kind of stand out from the rest. Norristown seems to have a had a much more glorious past.
North on DeKalb Street as well. Probably homes for the owners and upper management of the woolen mills and other industries that were in town. Most of the houses on West Main Street seem to have been subdivided into apartments; only a few of the houses on DeKalb, north of Fornance, have been subdivided or made into commercial buildings. One house has been beautifully restored and is now a veterinarian's office.

Very nice homes ... nice garage sales ...

Old 01-28-2013, 07:05 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,093,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Yes, also on DeKalb Street, heading out of the borough, towards Johnson Highway. Those homes are gorgeous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia