Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 03:19 AM

469 posts, read 925,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by herenia View Post
Thank you all very much. I guess I have to scratch that one off.
I take from the posts above that West Mt Airy and West Germantown are much better bets than the east side?

Again, thanks for the input. Much appreciated.
There are some pockets of W Mt. Airy and W Germantown that is not so great also. What is going on, a few small areas of Mt. Airy have fell victim of section 8,so you have a few blocks of renters and older people who can`t really keep up their homes.
I have no ideal who started this E Mt. Airy not being nice. I grew in Mt. Airy and have lived on the East and West side. There are very clean,safe and beautiful parts of E Mt. Airy.I only started hearing this East side , West side crap within the last few years. Don`t sell yourself short by cutting out the East side of Mt. Airy in your search.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2013, 06:00 AM

712 posts, read 701,585 times
Quote:
I take from the posts above that West Mt Airy and West Germantown are much better bets than the east side?

I wouldn't write-off all of East Mt. Airy. On the whole it's a very nice neighborhood and on average more affordable than West Mt. Airy. I would just think carefully about buying on the 1xx block of Hortter or the immediately surrounding blocks. That pocket of the neighborhood has historically had more crime than the rest of East Mt. Airy which as a whole is a pretty safe neighborhood by city standards.

Old 02-01-2013, 07:13 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,935,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tintin19119 View Post
There are some pockets of W Mt. Airy and W Germantown that is not so great also. What is going on, a few small areas of Mt. Airy have fell victim of section 8,so you have a few blocks of renters and older people who can`t really keep up their homes.
I have no ideal who started this E Mt. Airy not being nice. I grew in Mt. Airy and have lived on the East and West side. There are very clean,safe and beautiful parts of E Mt. Airy.I only started hearing this East side , West side crap within the last few years. Don`t sell yourself short by cutting out the East side of Mt. Airy in your search.
Well said. I grew up in East Mount Airy and the majority of the neighborhood is excellent. Like I said before, there is a small pocket between Germantown and Chew known as "Dogtown" that is not the best area. 1XX East Hortter is located there. I would be comfortable living there if only due to familiarity and future investment but others may not.

But it is true that as a whole EMA is more working class than WMA and there are much less rowhomes in WMA. WMA also is located next to the Wissahickon Park. But there are exceptions of course. Like you said, there are also pockets in WMA like Good Street, Sharpnack, etc. that are not the best. And of course there are areas in EMA like the Gowen Estates (and anything North of Gorgas Lane really) that are comparable to anything in WMA. EMA also generally has better walkability to Downtown Mt Airy and Chestnut Hill.

Old 02-01-2013, 08:46 AM

289 posts, read 338,609 times
Quote:

Before you buy, walk a few blocks from the house you're interested in in every direction at about 7, 7:30 on a warm friday night (spring will be here before you know it) and see if you feel comfortable.

Old 02-01-2013, 05:07 PM

113 posts, read 337,282 times
I certainly like the walking a few blocks advise. I think I'm going to look elsewhere instead. The RE agent asked if I was sure about the neighborhood since there were about 3 other houses on the same block for sale. Plus, the house I'm looking at was super discounted.
The east vs west thing is something I read on these boards. Most people I've met in real life simply classify Mt Airy, in general, as a nice area.
I'm back to square one and thanks again for all the responses.

Old 02-01-2013, 05:10 PM

113 posts, read 337,282 times
This certainly explains the value of the homes. The house I was looking at sold for $120k in 2007 and the current price had gone down from 105k listing to just under $65k. I saw it slashed down to $49 which is when I felt I could throw a non-financed offer at the bank but they took it off the market anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR Valentine View Post
I wouldn't write-off all of East Mt. Airy. On the whole it's a very nice neighborhood and on average more affordable than West Mt. Airy. I would just think carefully about buying on the 1xx block of Hortter or the immediately surrounding blocks. That pocket of the neighborhood has historically had more crime than the rest of East Mt. Airy which as a whole is a pretty safe neighborhood by city standards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia