Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 10:51 PM

49 posts, read 91,803 times

Advertisements

When are you moving? Summer, most likely
Where are you coming from? Suburb of Cincy, Oh
Why are you moving? Transfer
Where will you be working? Conshohocken
Have you been here yet? Love Philly, grew up in Lancaster

Will you buy or rent? Rent a house, at least at first
How much can you spend? ~$2k/month, give or take

Are you married or single? Do you have children? Married with 14 and 9 year old.
Do you prefer public or private schools? Public schools, highly rated (wife will insist)
Do you have pets? Dog, 2 cats
Do you want or need a yard? YES
Are you keeping a car? Three
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? Calm

What do you want to be closest to?
Work

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? Live in family neighborhood.

Coke or Pepsi? Hell no

We've decided we don't want to be away from Philly/Eastern PA any more. This is our tribe! We love the area, want our kids to grow up here, stay here. Don't want to travel 12 hours for MANCO AND MANCO pizza anymore. There are so many great little towns in the area, but top notch schools very important to my wife. My daughters comes from a high level soccer team that played in the MRL premier division, so we're looking for a great soccer club and a high school with a good soccer program. My other daughter plays soccer and is a very good gymnast, so we need a great gymnastics gym. My HS had a gymnastics team, but I'm not sure if any high schools have gymnastics teams anymore.

Like to have as little as a commute as possible to Conshohocken. 20 minutes or less? If we could get into one of these tree lined, picturesque, Philly type suburbs that would be great. Rather start out renting a house.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 02-02-2013 at 05:25 PM.. Reason: removed inappropriate word
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2013, 06:31 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,093,205 times
I've essentially cut and pasted a response I left on a question about someone whose job transferred to Fort Washington. Since FW is only about 15-20 minutes from Conshohocken, my response applies here as well. BTW I attended the Colonial School District which includes Plymouth, Whitemarsh/Lafayette, and Conshohocken. I'd recommend any of these 3 communities to live as well.

Fort Washington itself is a great area but is generally expensive. FW is in the Upper Dublin School District which is very highly regarded. FW has a train station and the Turnpike entrance is there as well.

I will highly recommend Ambler, which in some ways in the quintessential small American town. It's 5 minutes from FW and there will be some nice homes in that price range. The homes in general may be smaller but there are lots of capes and split levels in the Ambler area at that price range. It sits in the Wissahickon School District which is highly regarded. Ambler has a nice little downtown, as well as a SEPTA train stop, and it's about 5 minutes from the Turnpike.

Welcome to The Borough of Ambler » Ambler

Here's the page on Ambler from the Classic Towns of Greater Philadelphia webpage.

Ambler | Classic Towns of Greater Philadelphia

You will be able to find a split-level or ranch in Blue Bell (Whitpain Township), also part of the Wissahickon School District. Another suggestion would be Horsham or Willow Grove but if it were me I'd move to Ambler before either of those 2 areas.

FW, Ambler, Horsham, and Willow Grove are all great areas to raise a family.

Old 02-02-2013, 07:40 AM

Thanks for your response. I was concentrating on Paoli, Wayne, that direction of Conshohocken, so you've opened my eyes a little bit going the other direction. I don't really have a feel for Conshohocken itself. But I will look into Ambler. Thanks again. It will be so nice to be in an area that values education so highly. You can't throw a rock without hitting a highly rated school district.

Old 02-02-2013, 08:08 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,093,205 times
While "that direction of Conshohocken" (Wayne, Paoli, etc., i.e. the Main Line) has more prestige, there are plenty of great areas within 20 minutes of Conshohocken going the other way. In fact, 2-3 years ago Philadelphia Magazine did a special on school districts and referred to the Colonial School District as for people who want to live near everything in a great school district without having the need or desire to brag that their kids go to Lower Merion, Radnor, or Tredyffrin-Easttown School Districts.

Old 02-02-2013, 08:35 AM

While I am of course familiar with the term "the Main Line", I don't know Philly well enough to tell you what towns it encompasses. I searched "Conshohocken" on this site and was just going off mentions from other posters for good family locations. If you catch us bragging, it's going to be about what our kids do inside the white lines. ;o)

Old 02-02-2013, 09:24 AM

187 posts, read 350,306 times
Here is a helpful page with maps of the Main Line.

Local Government and Community Resources - Main Line Chamber of Commerce

There is a place called Pancott Gymnastics in the Frazer/Malvern area. I don't know if it is good but just thought I'd bring it to your attention. That spot is probably more than a 20 minute drive to Conshohocken - fyi.

Old 02-02-2013, 12:07 PM

9,331 posts, read 13,002,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
While "that direction of Conshohocken" (Wayne, Paoli, etc., i.e. the Main Line) has more prestige, there are plenty of great areas within 20 minutes of Conshohocken going the other way. In fact, 2-3 years ago Philadelphia Magazine did a special on school districts and referred to the Colonial School District as for people who want to live near everything in a great school district without having the need or desire to brag that their kids go to Lower Merion, Radnor, or Tredyffrin-Easttown School Districts.
Actually, there are a number of reasons besides "bragging rights" that many families prefer the Main Line.

I'm not saying it's the "only" place to live, or even the "best" place given the OP's needs, but one huge advantage I find it has over Plymouth Meeting, Lafayette Hill, Upper Dublin, etc, is its multitude of charming, historic, walkable areas. The former options are a lot more auto-centric and built in a "traditional suburban" mode, though the boroughs of Ambler and Conshohocken themselves are certainly exceptions. I will also say that while Plymouth Township is fairly cookie-cutter for the most part, the outer portions of Whitemarsh do have a bucolic, country estate feel not dissimilar to Gladwyne.

Of course, the Main Line cost premium is very real, and, understandably, not something everyone's interested in paying for. But it's untruthful to tout it as a completely artificial concept fueled by the shallow and prestige-driven.

That said, if I had a $2,000 rental budget, I probably wouldn't be satisfied with my options in Lower Merion, Radnor, or Tredyffrin. Haverford Township is a nice alternative that has great schools, gorgeous tree-lined streets, and easy access to the Wayne/Bryn Mawr/Ardmore shopping districts. I also highly recommend the borough of Narberth.

Last edited by ElijahAstin; 02-02-2013 at 12:20 PM..

Old 02-02-2013, 01:02 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,715,057 times
The OP states that they would like to be closest to work, which is why I would look east of the river over Narberth. Main Line places closer to Conshy would work too. East of the river, check Lafayette Hill, Flourtown, Fort Washington as mentioned above.

Old 02-02-2013, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scosm View Post
Here is a helpful page with maps of the Main Line.

Local Government and Community Resources - Main Line Chamber of Commerce

There is a place called Pancott Gymnastics in the Frazer/Malvern area. I don't know if it is good but just thought I'd bring it to your attention. That spot is probably more than a 20 minute drive to Conshohocken - fyi.
Thanks for the tip. Checked out their website. This one might be a pleasant surprise.

Philadelphia Gymnastics Center

Parent rating:
Location: 26 Portland Road, Conshohocken, PA Philadelphia Gymnastics Center (PGC) is an accredited USA gymnastics facility, and the place to go if your little acrobat is ready to take his or her skills to the next level.

Old 02-02-2013, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
Haverford Township is a nice alternative that has great schools, gorgeous tree-lined streets, and easy access to the Wayne/Bryn Mawr/Ardmore shopping districts. I also highly recommend the borough of Narberth.
That sounds just about perfect.....but I'm worried that may be more than a 20 minute commute. Google directions shows 11.3 miles, 22 minutes, but going up 476 to get to Conshohocken. Terribad, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia